1018 users online (223 members and 795 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 279
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southeastern United States
    Posts
    1,352

    NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #22

    I know lots of Mormons. Homosexuality is not enthusiastically embraced, but I don't know any who would isolate or reject a family member who came out as homosexual.
    I don't live in Utah, though. It is my understanding that many LDS members who live in Utah are more conservative and it would probably be more difficult to announce you're gay there. But still...I don't think we can ever really know about Stephen's specific situation. I mean, regardless of where his family lived or what religion they practiced, would they have shunned him because of his sexual preference?
    So, for me, Stephen's sexuality is probably not related to his going missing. Unless new evidence is presented.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenfriedcow View Post
    Long time lurker here...

    I was reading over some of the old threads last night, and something still does not sit right with me with regards to the church president friend (GW) who was also in Vegas at the time of SK's disappearance. The phone call situation does not make sense to me for a couple of reasons:

    - He reportedly calls SK to ask him to take his place at a meeting. SK says he would if necessary, but then GW says "nevermind, I'm already on my way." Oddly enough, they are both in LV for reasons that aren't clear and they don't discuss with each other.

    - Later on, SK receives another call from someone attending the meeting asking him if he could stand in for GW, who was supposed to have been on the road earlier. This is where I get tripped up, and start to wonder if GW is even being truthful about what he and SK discussed on the phone. It doesn't make sense to me that GW would be on the road with plenty of time to make the meeting, yet SK still receives a second call from someone at the meeting this time asking if he can stand in for GW. The second call to SK from the person at the meeting makes it seem like GW was either a no-show, or that he perhaps called to say he'd be late but did not mention talking to SK earlier. I find this odd, because it sounds like there were only a few people who were qualified to stand in for GW at the meeting, so mentioning that he had already talked to SK and that he was was busy in Vegas seems like it would have been a no-brainer. I would be inclined to believe that GW would have called the meeting if he couldn't make it since he says he made an effort to call SK to ask him to stand in for him, so if he did call, then why wouldn't he mention that SK was already busy? If he didn't call and just didn't show, why would he do that and where was he that whole time?

    I'm not sure if this angle has been completely ruled out yet, but something about this friend seems suspicious to me. The content of the conversation he had with SK has no way to be proven, and it doesn't seem to make sense considering the other communication SK had with church members that day. Sorry if I've missed something and this whole angle has been debunked, but the other calls SK received regarding the meeting do not make sense to me if I take GW's word for what he and SK supposedly discussed that day.
    Could not agree more with you. If I remember correctly the call length was so short too that I can't imagine much was talked other than maybe "on my way" or some other short message that would not include a conversation about the two in Vegas (what a surprise etc.) Let's face it.. the last person to contact the missing person should be looked at closely.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    I know lots of Mormons. Homosexuality is not enthusiastically embraced, but I don't know any who would isolate or reject a family member who came out as homosexual.
    I don't live in Utah, though. It is my understanding that many LDS members who live in Utah are more conservative and it would probably be more difficult to announce you're gay there. But still...I don't think we can ever really know about Stephen's specific situation. I mean, regardless of where his family lived or what religion they practiced, would they have shunned him because of his sexual preference?
    So, for me, Stephen's sexuality is probably not related to his going missing. Unless new evidence is presented.
    I am absolutely not speculating that this is the case here, I just wanted to share my personal experience that my Mormon sister absolutely and unequivocally isolated and rejected our gay brother. It does happen. Does it mean all Mormons do it? No. Just like all Catholics don't avoid meat on Fridays during Lent. JMO.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Piney Woods
    Posts
    2,531
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenfriedcow View Post
    Long time lurker here...

    I was reading over some of the old threads last night, and something still does not sit right with me with regards to the church president friend (GW) who was also in Vegas at the time of SK's disappearance. The phone call situation does not make sense to me for a couple of reasons:

    - He reportedly calls SK to ask him to take his place at a meeting. SK says he would if necessary, but then GW says "nevermind, I'm already on my way." Oddly enough, they are both in LV for reasons that aren't clear and they don't discuss with each other.

    - Later on, SK receives another call from someone attending the meeting asking him if he could stand in for GW, who was supposed to have been on the road earlier. This is where I get tripped up, and start to wonder if GW is even being truthful about what he and SK discussed on the phone. It doesn't make sense to me that GW would be on the road with plenty of time to make the meeting, yet SK still receives a second call from someone at the meeting this time asking if he can stand in for GW. The second call to SK from the person at the meeting makes it seem like GW was either a no-show, or that he perhaps called to say he'd be late but did not mention talking to SK earlier. I find this odd, because it sounds like there were only a few people who were qualified to stand in for GW at the meeting, so mentioning that he had already talked to SK and that he was was busy in Vegas seems like it would have been a no-brainer. I would be inclined to believe that GW would have called the meeting if he couldn't make it since he says he made an effort to call SK to ask him to stand in for him, so if he did call, then why wouldn't he mention that SK was already busy? If he didn't call and just didn't show, why would he do that and where was he that whole time?

    I'm not sure if this angle has been completely ruled out yet, but something about this friend seems suspicious to me. The content of the conversation he had with SK has no way to be proven, and it doesn't seem to make sense considering the other communication SK had with church members that day. Sorry if I've missed something and this whole angle has been debunked, but the other calls SK received regarding the meeting do not make sense to me if I take GW's word for what he and SK supposedly discussed that day.
    Welcome chickenfriedcow! Love your user name!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by cocomod View Post
    Pure speculation mainly because of his religion.
    Huh? Many folks here have posited the theory that he might be gay, and I don't see any quotes to support your thesis that these are all "because of his religion". Can you supply them please?

    My own thoughts regarding it are that in looking at this objectively, the possibility is certainly something that has to be considered, whether or not it might be painful for the family of SK, if we're really interested in figuring out what happened to him. Seriously lacking much helpful information in the case, one goes through ALL of the information we know about SK, and some of those things are: He's an "outlier" for his "peer group" -unmarried for several years after completing a mission; some odd movements -why does a guy who complains of not having time for friends/family because of having to work odd hours, move away from friends and family. Without a job. To a smaller job market. There may be some other things that could be considered in this area, but I can't remember, right now, all of them. (And please don't anyone say that I'm asserting that these things establish SK as being gay as fact -that's just silly.)

    Although WR is pretty confident that he left voluntarily and is still voluntarily "missing" because of it, the more time goes on the more I see this as less likely. I'm in no way an expert in missing persons, but the reading I've done seems to suggest that really being off the radar, entirely, for this long, isn't very likely. The fact that he's still listed as missing, indicates to me that he hasn't been located, and makes the concept of foul play for probably, IMO. Whatever his religion.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Why is it believed Stephen was/is gay?
    For me it's as simple as doing the math. Straight Mormons get married at a young age and start families. You are hard pressed to find any straight Mormons who are still single at age 30.

    Here Steven couldn't find the right girl. Meanwhile all his peers got married and well, started families. And he still couldn't find the right girl.

    Then he vanishes and everyone closes rank and says it must be anything BUT the obvious.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    For me it's as simple as doing the math. Straight Mormons get married at a young age and start families. You are hard pressed to find any straight Mormons who are still single at age 30.

    Here Steven couldn't find the right girl. Meanwhile all his peers got married and well, started families. And he still couldn't find the right girl.

    Then he vanishes and everyone closes rank and says it must be anything BUT the obvious.
    WR, I think your point is very well made. However, I'd like to know how many people, in this day and age, can literally drop off the radar for so many years. (If he has been located but doesn't "want to be found", I wouldn't think he'd still be listed as missing.) Is "gay" but also "foul play" a possibility here?
    (Sorry if this didn't turn out right -I tried to italicize a couple of things and I'm not sure where I went wrong.)

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    3,538
    I think this was a combination of SK trying to hide what his plans were and his family not disclosing or worse yet perhaps deleted what was on his hard drive before someone else took a look at it.

    Yes it's possible that he was both gay and the victim of foul play but I don't think he met any harm in that development. I think he and Big Daddy Warbucks drove off into the sunset, had dinner and stayed at a hotel or motel before driving out of town the next morning. I think that would be consistent with the phone pings.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    3,903
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    For me it's as simple as doing the math. Straight Mormons get married at a young age and start families. You are hard pressed to find any straight Mormons who are still single at age 30.

    Here Steven couldn't find the right girl. Meanwhile all his peers got married and well, started families. And he still couldn't find the right girl.

    Then he vanishes and everyone closes rank and says it must be anything BUT the obvious.
    I can appreciate this theory and this line. I will share my experience with my dear brother. He went on his mission (just like Steven), he went to one college and then moved to another college, then he started his career. Nowhere along the way did he get serious with a girl. Honestly, he was a bit of a nerd, a bit depressed, and he flat out was an introvert. One day, he met the right "girl". She chased him! She called him! And... At the ripe old age of 35 he got married. It is unusual for the LDS culture, but not unheard of. If my brother had not met his wife, I doubt he would have ever gotten married. But, he had 0 (zero) gay feelings in his makeup. Maybe the people that knew him best knows him best.

    The reason I said that religion may be pushing the gay matter is because every post I see that indicate this possibility say that he would need to hide this because of his religion. It is something that is difficult in our religion. It is a changing atmosphere now as in most Christian religions. I should have put in my post that it is IMHO that this theory is mainly discussed as a reason to disappear.

    Steven's case is very near and will always be dear to my heart.
    This is where Sky belongs!! Proud member of the Sky Crew & proud supporter of Solomon's quest to find his precious son! "I will always be his father. On this earth I don't see him, but in heaven we'll be together," Metalwala said.

    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...-6-Nov-2011-19

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by webrocket View Post
    i think this was a combination of sk trying to hide what his plans were and his family not disclosing or worse yet perhaps deleted what was on his hard drive before someone else took a look at it.

    Yes it's possible that he was both gay and the victim of foul play but i don't think he met any harm in that development. I think he and big daddy warbucks drove off into the sunset, had dinner and stayed at a hotel or motel before driving out of town the next morning. I think that would be consistent with the phone pings.
    "bdw" -


  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    7,894
    This "theory" begin long ago because there was a meeting of a group that helps gay members leave the LDS church in LV the day he disappeared from there near the area where he disappeared from. It was pure speculation but ws members where covering every avenue that was a possibility. It was discussed many threads ago.
    Cindi Lou


    Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    438

    RRSAR to search for Steven Koecher

    From the Red Rock Search And Rescue (RRSAR) Facebook page. (Their website is www.redrocksar.org) I'm not sure how to link to the Facebook post.

    This Saturday RRSAR will deploy a few teams into the mountains behind Anthem to search for Steven Koecher missing since December of 2009. Search teams worked the area back then and found nothing. We are working another theory and will begin a mission that may include up to 4 deployments.

    I found Steven's threads here many years ago and have pondered many theories. Partly because of this, I have actually joined the Red Rock Search And Rescue team. And of all of the coincidences of bad timing, I'm moving this weekend and won't be able to join in the search. But if there are more searches after this, I'll plan to be there. I volunteered to participate in their new group to work on some cold cases and also a new metal detecting team. There are many families out there who need answers to help find some resolution.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,812
    Quote Originally Posted by cats5vegas View Post
    From the Red Rock Search And Rescue (RRSAR) Facebook page. (Their website is www.redrocksar.org) I'm not sure how to link to the Facebook post.

    This Saturday RRSAR will deploy a few teams into the mountains behind Anthem to search for Steven Koecher missing since December of 2009. Search teams worked the area back then and found nothing. We are working another theory and will begin a mission that may include up to 4 deployments.

    I found Steven's threads here many years ago and have pondered many theories. Partly because of this, I have actually joined the Red Rock Search And Rescue team. And of all of the coincidences of bad timing, I'm moving this weekend and won't be able to join in the search. But if there are more searches after this, I'll plan to be there. I volunteered to participate in their new group to work on some cold cases and also a new metal detecting team. There are many families out there who need answers to help find some resolution.
    Thanks so much, cats! This is great news. So sorry you can't be there.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    6,166
    Here are two articles about the upcoming search.

    http://www.news3lv.com/mostpopular/s...WxN73RgyA.cspx

    Red Rock Search and Rescue will deploy about 30 volunteers beginning Saturday morning in the hills above Henderson, on a theory that Koecher ventured deeper into the mountains than originally thought.
    http://www.onenewspage.com/video/201...g-Utah-man.htm

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    689
    http://fox13now.com/2015/05/15/new-t...search-effort/

    This article speaks to the renewed search effort which will take place tomorrow.
    Quote from article...."Saturday, 50 people will comb the hills above the Henderson, Nevada subdivision where he was last seen. The search area consists of 25 square miles of wilderness."

    I wish them all good luck.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #18
    By Cubby in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 555
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 05:14 PM
  2. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #11
    By Salem in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 583
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 11:35 PM
  3. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #10
    By hoppyfrog in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 670
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 12:11 AM
  4. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 9
    By Salem in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 673
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 04:41 PM
  5. NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 6
    By hoppyfrog in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 750
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 05:51 PM

Tags for this Thread