1315 users online (268 members and 1047 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Man Charged With Having Sex With 14-Year-Old Wife

A 22-year-old man faces criminal charges in Nebraska for having sex with an underage 13-year-old girl, although he legally married her in Kansas after she became pregnant.

The man's lawyer said the couple, with their families' support, "made a responsible decision to try to cope with the problem."

Matthew Koso, 22, was charged Monday with first-degree sexual assault, punishable by up to 50 years in prison. He was released on $7,500 bail pending an Aug. 17 preliminary hearing.

After the girl became pregnant, her mother gave permission in May for Koso to take the young woman to Kansas, which allows minors to get married with parental consent. The girl is now 14 and seven months pregnant. http://www.wnbc.com/news/4772624/detail.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    I read that story in the Lewiston Tribune on the 27th. I don't agree with sending that father to jail. All that is going to do is cause his child and his wife to struggle through life, without the support of a father and husband. Doesn't undo anything. I doubt he is any child molestor even though he had sex with an underage person. Sounds as though it was consensual sex.

This is where child sexual abuse laws start weaving a tangled web and causing problems; instead of solutions, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I read that story in the Lewiston Tribune on the 27th. I don't agree with sending that father to jail. All that is going to do is cause his child and his wife to struggle through life, without the support of a father and husband. Doesn't undo anything. I doubt he is any child molestor even though he had sex with an underage person. Sounds as though it was consensual sex.

This is where child sexual abuse laws start weaving a tangled web and causing problems; instead of solutions, imo.
    Your heart is as big as Texas. She could have been running from an abusive situation and was lookng for affirmation. It all looks to me that someone loves each other not the reverse. No matter what their ages are.God grant them the affirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    Your heart is as big as Texas. She could have been running from an abusive situation and was lookng for affirmation. It all looks to me that someone loves each other not the reverse. No matter what their ages are.God grant them the affirmation.
    Were they in love and on the way to living happily ever after? Or when she became pregnant, did he worry that he may be facing criminal charges and so decided that marrigage would be the lesser of two evils.

The guy was 21 or 22 when they would have begun having sex. The girl would have been 13. What happens when she grows up?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Were they in love and on the way to living happily ever after? Or when she became pregnant, did he worry that he may be facing criminal charges and so decided that marrigage would be the lesser of two evils.

The guy was 21 or 22 when they would have begun having sex. The girl would have been 13. What happens when she grows up?
    Let me think about this. I don't know but this is not about raping a baby. I know that to get away would be paramount to me. Hoping for love,I guess. I will think and let you know.

A 13 year old child cannot consent. Therefore the sex was not consenual. The man is an adult, the 13 year old is a child. Statutory rape comes to mind.

The man is where he belongs. If her parents knew about this child having sex with an adult and allowed it to happen, then they should be held responsible also. Maybe Birth Control would have been a timely topic of discussion with this child.

What is the man was an adult of 43 and the child was 13. It does not matter what age the offender is, just the fact that he is an adult having sex with a child. if the man is 20 years older or 9 years older than the "child" he is the adult.

So the parents solution to this "problem" is for their child who is now having a child to marry the man who "sexually" abused her.

Please.............the man is a "predator" of children with the "consent" of her parents.

Right on.

The states with laws allowing children to marry at the age of 14 should be changed. Even if they are marrying another 14 yo they are too young to marry.

The states with laws allowing children to marry at the age of 14 should be changed. Even if they are marrying another 14 yo they are too young to marry.
    My grandmother married at 13. Although this was just a generation back from me, that was not out of the ordinary back then. She had 14 kids (I think, I'm trying to count! LOL) and lived into her late 90's, a happy woman. Our culture has changed alot in the past 100 years!

Back in the "olden days" it was common for children not to be educated or educated just enough to read and write.

Boy I guess things have changed in the last 100 years or so.

I presume this law that 14 year olds can marry, is from that era.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    A 13 year old child cannot consent. Therefore the sex was not consenual. The man is an adult, the 13 year old is a child. Statutory rape comes to mind.
    I do not agree. A 13 year old is perfectly able to say 'no'.

Please.............the man is a "predator" of children with the "consent" of her parents.
    Then why did he marry her?

Quote Originally Posted by fransch
    Then why did he marry her?
    To try to keep from being arrested?

To try to keep from being arrested?
    So this 'predator' is gonna marry every girl that he preys on? Please look at my question in the context of the above quote.

Quote Originally Posted by fransch
    So this 'predator' is gonna marry every girl that he preys on? Please look at my question in the context of the above quote.
    pudella and nambla probably disagree with me. But I feel that a 13-14 yo is too young and inexperienced to make informed decisions like exposure to aids, teenage pregnancy, and the emotional issues that come with a sexual relationship. I wouldn't allow a 13 yo the right to consent to surgery, enlist in the service, or drive a car. So why would it be ok to allow them to make a life altering decision like marriage (or sex with an adult)?
    At 13 most kids are just learning to think for themselves and are too easily convinced by others. When a child is allowed to marry an adult, that child is subject to being totally controlled by their "spouse". The parents no longer have any say so over the child, the child has few rights under the law, and the "spouse" in effect is guardian over the "child spouse". A very risky situation IMO.

pudella and nambla probably disagree with me. But I feel that a 13-14 yo is too young and inexperienced to make informed decisions like exposure to aids, teenage pregnancy, and the emotional issues that come with a sexual relationship. I wouldn't allow a 13 yo the right to consent to surgery, enlist in the service, or drive a car. So why would it be ok to allow them to make a life altering decision like marriage (or sex with an adult)?
    At 13 most kids are just learning to think for themselves and are too easily convinced by others. When a child is allowed to marry an adult, that child is subject to being totally controlled by their "spouse". The parents no longer have any say so over the child, the child has few rights under the law, and the "spouse" in effect is guardian over the "child spouse". A very risky situation IMO.
    Your knowledge should be quoted over and over. The old days when a person was considered chattel.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast