906 users online (144 members and 762 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

GA - Janice Hughes, 30, Macon, 8 June 1991

Very sad. Janice's mother and one of Janice's five daughters -- who was only seven years old when her mom went missing -- sound as if they don't have much hope of ever finding out what happened to her.

Sure wish we could help them find some answers!

(A mugshot-type photo is apparently the only PICTURE of her that still exists!)

No trace of Macon woman who disappeared more than 23 years ago

People tell Latavia Hughes she looks like her mother, Janice.

She wouldn’t know. ...

...“I can’t even picture how she looked,” Hughes said in a phone interview. “All I know is how I look. I can’t tell you how she looked.”

Hughes doesn’t even have a picture of her mother, who grew up in Macon. ...

...Janice Hughes, a 30-year-old mother of five girls, was reported missing June 22, 1991, about two weeks after she was last seen....
    read more at: http://www.macon.com/2015/01/30/3560...sappeared.html

I don't see her in NAMUS missing persons ... but I'm not really proficient at searching those kinds of databases. Can anyone else find her in any of the missing persons databases?

A Macon, GA community page created in Nov 2014 with a single post. The post appears to be from a family member pleading for assistance to find any information about what happened to Janice. If the admin of the page is authentic, the person states Janice's birthday is 2/28/1961.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...47450015306764

A mugshot for petty theft is the only photo her children have. But it's an excellent photo with front and side views for potential matching to Jane Does. Perhaps there's an open UP case that Janice's photo and recent press will resolve. Remember, Tammy Alexander went missing 35 years before her face crossed any missing persons websites. Can it happen again?
    ws9vk.AuSt.71.jpeg

photo from macon .com link in post #1
    Can anyone read the measuring stick to see how tall Janice is?
    Last edited by KateB; 01-31-2015 at 12:35 PM.

Do we have any photos of other people up against such a measuring stick whose height is given, with which we can compare and get an estimated height?

Quote Originally Posted by KateB View Post
    A Macon, GA community page created in Nov 2014 with a single post. The post appears to be from a family member pleading for assistance to find any information about what happened to Janice. If the admin of the page is authentic, the person states Janice's birthday is 2/28/1961.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...47450015306764
    Since I don't do Facebook myself, I am not really clear on whether WS allows for someone to answer a plea like the one the daughter has made and inform her that, at least, a WS thread has been started for her mom.

I just know that I wish that somehow she will learn we've started a thread.

ETA: I am able to read her post on FB even though I'm not signed up -- so I guess it is "public". Not sure how all that works, all the different levels. Anyhow, I notice she says that she feels she has been informed that she "needs dental records" -- but that isn't true! What about DNA -- I wonder if anyone has told her what she can do along those lines. IMO, this case needs to be in NAMUS!
    Last edited by Backwoods; 01-31-2015 at 07:31 PM. Reason: ETA

Quote Originally Posted by musicaljoke View Post
    Do we have any photos of other people up against such a measuring stick whose height is given, with which we can compare and get an estimated height?
    I wonder if she (Janice) ever had a driver's license? Seems like her height would probably be recorded SOMEWHERE.

http://www.macon.com/2015/01/30/3560...sappeared.html

When Janice Hughes disappeared, she had been staying at 1509 Oglethorpe St. with a man named Jackie Leon McCoy. He told investigators he last saw Hughes at 10 p.m. on June 7, 1991.

“She asked him for $10, and at that time she had his gun, and he didn’t know it. He went and got the gun back later at another house,” Barbee read from the original case report. Now, “we can’t get anything out of Mr. McCoy because he has since died,” Barbee said.

The last time anyone saw Hughes was around Jackson Street, not far from the former Macon Police Department’s training center behind fire headquarters.

Here's a link to information about some Georgia unidentified remains, listed on the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) web site. I will look a bit later to see if just by chance any sound like a possibility for Janice. Linking it here in case anybody else wants to look as well:

https://gbi.georgia.gov/cases/unidentified-remains

I'm Janice Daughter

I just want to say thanks to you all. Now I'm in the process of trying to hiring a private investor

That's my mother I miss her so much my name is Latavia Hughes by my married on Facebook which is Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Lataviahughes View Post
    That's my mother I miss her so much my name is Latavia Hughes by my married on Facebook which is Graham
    Praying for answers. (((Hugs)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just striving to be average.

Quote Originally Posted by Lataviahughes View Post
    I just want to say thanks to you all. Now I'm in the process of trying to hiring a private investor
    Welcome, Lataviahughes! I am so glad that you found us. I started this thread after reading the recent story about your mom on macon.com .

I hope you will be able to get your mom's case into NAMUS -- that is SO important to do -- and that someone maybe will work with you on getting DNA samples (from you and possibly your grandmother and your siblings) on record with NAMUS. If you do hire an investigator, maybe he/she will help you with that. The Macon-Bibb Co. Sheriff's Department should be able to help you do all this as well.

We are glad to have you here on Websleuths!

adding a link to the NamUS site: http://www.namus.gov/

Janice was added to the Charley Project yesterday. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...es_janice.html

hughes_janice.jpghughes_janice2.jpghughes_janice3.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
    • Missing Since: June 8, 1991 from Macon, Georgia
    • Classification: Endangered Missing
    • Date of Birth: February 28, 1961
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes.

Details of Disappearance
    Hughes was last seen in Macon, Georgia on June 8, 1991. She called her mother at 1:00 a.m. to say she was coming over, but never arrived and has never been heard from again. She was reported missing on June 22, two weeks after her disappearance.

Hughes's live-in boyfriend last saw her at 10:00 p.m. on June 7, a few hours before she called her mother. They lived in the 1500 block of Oglethorpe Street. Hughes asked him for $10 before she left. She also took his gun, something he didn't realize at the time. He later found the gun at another house. Hughes's boyfriend is now deceased. The couple had a history of domestic violence in their relationship, and Hughes's mother believed he was involved in her disappearance, but he has never been named as a suspect. Authorities believe she could have been the victim of a serial killer, but little evidence is available in her case.
    Last edited by JusticeWillBeServed; 02-10-2015 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeWillBeServed View Post
    Janice was added to the Charley Project yesterday. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...es_janice.html

hughes_janice.jpghughes_janice2.jpghughes_janice3.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
    • Missing Since: June 8, 1991 from Macon, Georgia
    • Classification: Endangered Missing
    • Date of Birth: February 28, 1961
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes.

Details of Disappearance
    Hughes was last seen in Macon, Georgia on June 8, 1991. She called her mother at 1:00 a.m. to say she was coming over, but never arrived and has never been heard from again. She was reported missing on June 22, two weeks after her disappearance.

Hughes's live-in boyfriend last saw her at 10:00 p.m. on June 7, a few hours before she called her mother. They lived in the 1500 block of Oglethorpe Street. Hughes asked him for $10 before she left. She also took his gun, something he didn't realize at the time. He later found the gun at another house. Hughes's boyfriend is now deceased. The couple had a history of domestic violence in their relationship, and Hughes's mother believed he was involved in her disappearance, but he has never been named as a suspect. Authorities believe she could have been the victim of a serial killer, but little evidence is available in her case.
    Thank you, Justice! I am really glad to know this. I hope Latavia knows and is glad, too.

Just noting (after looking at Charley Project page) that the set of photos for Janice are from around 1981 -- so about 10 years before she went missing.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast