Identified! CA - Los Angeles, HispFem Child 1214UFCA, 3-5, aka 'Little Cowboy', Jul'77

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never heard of this poor child to whom LE refers as "Little Cowboy". She was just added to DoeNet, and she is not in NamUs.

After 37 years, it's about time she gets a little attention.

The DoeNetwork
Case File: 1214UFCA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1214ufca.html

1214UFCA_LARGE.jpg
1214UFCA3_LARGE.jpg

Unidentified Female
Date of Discovery: July 21, 1977
Location of Discovery: Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
State of Remains: Unknown
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 3-5 years old
Race: Hispanic
Height: 3'1"
Weight: 28 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown, shoulder-length tied back in a pony tail with a brown elastic band with green balls.

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Pierced ears.

Dentals: Unknown. Front upper teeth were chipped.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Unknown.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Pants with alternating black/blue/pink/orange floral pattern and pink/white vertical stripes and white bands, white long-sleeved shirt with a depiction of a cowboy with a lasso and red cowboy hat and the caption "I'm A Little Cowboy," white underpants, and a white undershirt.

Jewelry: Unknown

Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Case History

Around 8 PM, a child's body was found near Sunset Boulevard and Glendale Boulevard in Los Angeles.

She was affectionately nick-named "Little Cowboy."

This case reminds me of of the Atcel Olmedo case back in 2005. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Atcel_Olmedo

My NamUs search came as: 0 cases found based on Female, 01/15/1971 to 07/21/1977, Hispanic/Latino, 0 to 6

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1902dftx.html - time-frame is iffy, age would be right, white, not hispanic, missing from TX

My guess is that she was never reported missing. :(

Unfortunately, this is almost certain to be one of those cases that will not involve a MP report, probably because her "caretaker" is the one responsible for her death, and for obvious reasons would never report her missing.

Poor girl --
http://ladailymirror.com/2013/11/27/lapd-parker-center-cop-shop-files-little-cowboy/

I could not find an update as to the cause of death.

Jason, the person who wrote the article, added a comment in August saying she had been identified, but there were no details. Another commenter said her information was given to Todd Matthews at Namus, so if somebody is in touch with him, maybe he could give an update.

http://ladailymirror.com/2013/11/27/lapd-parker-center-cop-shop-files-little-cowboy/#comment-45609

This is a really sad one... I wonder if she could have been from Mexico or Central America, which could explain why she wasn't reported missing in the US. It struck me as a bit odd that a little girl her age would be wearing a shirt that read "I'm a little cowboy" (not cowgirl?). Could it be that the family didn't speak English, so they wouldn't have known what the shirt said? I can't see many parents (especially back then) knowingly buying a boy's shirt for a little girl. Assuming she was even reported missing, does anyone know about databases for the missing in Latin America?

It's a shame that family of identified can block the release of the name of a newly ID'd. Sadly in most places, family's can also block organ donation of a loved one after their death, even against the person's wishes while alive.

I’m glad she was identified. So sad.

Her case reminds me of the Ingelwood John Doe case [ Inglewood John Doe (1994) ], a little boy found in a storage unit in 1994. Both children were recently identified, cause of death was never released, had very little to no coverage, both cases have so much mystery surrounding them, and their names were both withheld upon identification. I'm extremely glad these babies got their name back, but I'd least want to know they got some justice (assuming they were killed by their caretakers or someone close to them since they were never reported missing). I hope that isn't the case BTW, but it sure makes you wonder. If their relatives were responsible then why protect the perpetrator by not publicly release the name so there brief lives can be celebrated. I understand the relatives of the perpetrators wanting their privacy by not releasing (to avoid what Marcia King's family went through for not reporting her missing) but the way I look at is spreading awareness by sharing the story and maybe preventing this from happening to other children. Then again not everyone is going to be a John Walsh, Patty Wetterling, or Elizabeth Smart. Looking at Anjelica Castillo's case her mother was afraid of reporting her missing in fear of deportation. Makes you wonder how many others haven't been reported for similar reasons. Accidental death maybe? I'd like to think it isn't always criminal... Wish I could at least see a picture of what this baby looked like in life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back