Measles: To Disneyland and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoda

Master
Reaction score
I believe (and the tide is seemingly looking toward this directions) that parents who don't vaccinate their children and are involved in outbreaks of previous eradicated diseases should be held liable for the loss of jobs, school and possible loss of life (say for someone else's too young to vaccinate child) they cause other people.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/us/vaccine-critics-turn-defensive-over-measles.html

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that measles cases soared last year to 644, many more than in any other year in more than a decade. Since Jan. 1, the C.D.C. has confirmed 84 measles cases in 14 states. California’s health agency, which is updating a measles count more frequently, has reported 91 cases, with the biggest number, 27, here in Orange County."

My children's pediatrician recently "fired" their non-vaccine parents and added a new message to the voice mail that if prospective parents cant adhere to the vaccine schedule, they won't have them as patients.

the article I quoted above states a similar process: "The clinic where Dr. Ball works has treated unvaccinated children for years, but its staff is meeting next week to discuss a ban...(of parents who dont vaccinate their children....)" "Our nightmare would be for someone to show up at our door with the measles.”

""The measles virus is probably the most contagious infectious disease known to mankind," says Stephen Cochi, a senior adviser with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's global immunization division."

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/30/382716075/measles-is-a-killer-it-took-145-000-lives-worldwide-last-year

"The rest of the world hasn't been so fortunate. Last year roughly 250,000 people came down with measles; more than half of them died."

""It's really traveling Americans who are unvaccinated, then return to the United States with the measles virus, that are causing most of the measles in the U.S. currently," he says."

"Cochi adds that someone infected with measles may be contagious for 24 to 48 hours before feeling sick. So a returning traveler could spread the disease and not even know it."

""The children under 5 are very vulnerable to measles," Robinson says. They're the primary target of vaccination campaigns. "It takes just a few days to get them vaccinated but it also takes a very short time for the virus to kill them."

"The virus spreads through the air when an infected person breathes, sneezes or coughs. It’s so contagious that if one infected person coughs in a crowded area, 90% of the non-immune people in the vicinity will catch it."

https://fortune.com/2015/01/30/measles-outbreak-vaccinated-adult/

Back in the ebola thread, several of us were trying to convey that ebola was not an airborne disease. Many readers disputed this heatedly. But when you think about an airborne disease like measles, you can really understand the distinction. 90% of unvaccinated individuals will become infected with NO direct contact, often from fairly long distances away and for a good time after the infected person has even left the vicinity.

Can you imagine the horror if ebola was indeed an airborne transmitted illness?

watch the video about measles on an airplane:

[video=cnn;health/2015/01/30/erin-foreman-how-does-measles-spread.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/30/health/california-measles-outbreak/index.html[/video]

On the contrary, NO ONE on the same plane as a febrile Amber Vinson became infected with ebola.

Has anyone come across the issue of vaccination for those of us who had red measles back in the 50s or 60s? Should we (I) still be immune?

I just asked my doc friend this because my MIL wanted to know. That article I posted states this current outbreak is a Philippine strain, but my friend said if they had it as a child they should be immune. You can get a blood test to check if you still have immunity.

I think we will be hearing more about this question.

Yes, I agree this illustrates how Ebola is not airborne.

Natural measles infection is thought to provide lifelong immunity. You can be tested to see if you display immunity.

I had measles as an infant. When I went to nursing school, I was required to provide proof of immunity or vaccine records for measles. I had no proof, and it was cheaper to get the vaccine than it was to be tested for immunity, so I just got the vaccine.

""The measles virus is probably the most contagious infectious disease known to mankind," says Stephen Cochi, a senior adviser with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's global immunization division."

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/30/38271...ler-it-took-145-000-lives-worldwide-last-year

"The rest of the world hasn't been so fortunate. Last year roughly 250,000 people came down with measles; more than half of them died."

""It's really traveling Americans who are unvaccinated, then return to the United States with the measles virus, that are causing most of the measles in the U.S. currently," he says."

"Cochi adds that someone infected with measles may be contagious for 24 to 48 hours before feeling sick. So a returning traveler could spread the disease and not even know it."

""The children under 5 are very vulnerable to measles," Robinson says. They're the primary target of vaccination campaigns. "It takes just a few days to get them vaccinated but it also takes a very short time for the virus to kill them."

BBM. Can someone tell me if this stat is true and if so, why did more than half die? Inadequate health care?
I'm wondering because I am allergic to the measles vaccine. I've never had to think about it before, but now I am wondering what the fatality percentage would be in the US. There haven't been any deaths from the Disneyland exposure has there? Tia

BBM. Can someone tell me if this stat is true and if so, why did more than half die? Inadequate health care?
I'm wondering because I am allergic to the measles vaccine. I've never had to think about it before, but now I am wondering what the fatality percentage would be in the US. There haven't been any deaths from the Disneyland exposure has there? Tia

Yes, most of those people who died lived in places without adequate health care, and probably weren't real healthy to begin with, etc.

It's nice to know that most of our kids wouldn't die from the measles, but those who are vulnerable already probably wouldn't fare as well, and I don't think brain damage and hearing loss even in previously healthy children is anything to sneeze at.

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/30/38271...ler-it-took-145-000-lives-worldwide-last-year

The rest of the world hasn't been so fortunate. Last year roughly 250,000 people came down with measles; more than half of them died.

Currently the Philippines is experiencing a major measles outbreak that sickened 57,000 people in 2014. China had twice that many cases, although they were more geographically spread out. Major outbreaks were also recorded in Angola, Brazil, Ethiopia, Indonesia and Vietnam.

Measles causes an intense fever, coughing, watery eyes and a signature full-body rash. The disease is rarely fatal in developed nations with modern health care systems but can cause brain damage and permanent hearing loss.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ak-in-ohio-leads-amish-to-reconsider-vaccines

Measles Outbreak In Ohio Leads Amish To Reconsider Vaccines

When children start dying, groups that reject immunizations begin to change their minds. Sad that it takes that to combat the "objections" of various tragically misguided groups.

The other group that is quite vulnerable in the U.S. are illegal immigrants, who seldom have recommended vaccinations, and will usually not take advantage of free clinics for their kids.

Infants and young children are not cloistered at home anymore-- they are taken everywhere in society. EVERY young baby is vulnerable to the diseases that can be spread by the unvaccinated who travel freely around the world, and in our society. We should all be concerned about that. I sure am.

It is a huge frustration within healthcare. I don't blame clinics for re-considering patients who reject vaccinations. Can you imagine taking a small infant into your regular family medicine clinic, or pedes clinic, and having that infant contract a previously eradicated disease like measles from an unvaccinated person in the waiting room??

This is a big, big problem in healthcare, and for all of our country.

And I will add this to the above. I do not believe any of us should be "politically correct" about pretending to "respect" or "accept" or "tolerate" people's rejection of vaccination on grounds of ignorance/ quackery belief, or some misguided, and IMO, ridiculous "religious" belief. The stakes for everyone in society, legal and illegal, religious and unreligious, are simply too high. It is beyond comprehension that previously eradicated diseases are re-emerging due to such profound ignorance, IMO.

I had both of my son's vaccinated. My oldest was diagnosed with Crohn 's last year. That makes his immune system weak on top of everything else. Why should he be put at risk because someone else chooses not to vaccinate?!

I also read that about the Texas megachurch, but there are also the natural/organic/essential oils hippies of Marin County, Ca. (I love essential oils). I think this goes beyond political and religious groups. I think its more like magical thinking/untreated parental OCD and obsession with "pure" and "clean" and "healthy".

IDK.

I call this kind of "magical thinking" what it really is-- an ignorant belief in quackery. These same "pure, healthy hippies" don't hesitate to ingest all manner of caustic and harmful substances, in their pursuit of whatever nonsense it is that they're pursuing. All it takes is a few anecdotal testimonials (preferably from some marginally educated celebrity), and the magical thinkers will line up to buy whatever snake oil quackery is currently in vogue. Like the "Miracle Mineral Supplement"-- caustic bleach. They ingest it, bathe in it, and use it as an enema to "cure" anything from HIV to autism. It's all profound quackery.

I just don't know how we as a society even begin to deal with this level of ignorance and magical thinking. We can't mark the unvaccinated with an identifier obvious to everyone, and we can't round them up and compel them to comply, and we can't isolate them from the rest of society. And we apparently can't "educate" them into compliance, either.

Vaccines work. The very young, the unvaccinated, and the immune compromised all are at serious risk from the foolish and appallingly ignorant "anti-vaxers". And that's not an opinion-- that's a fact shouted over and over by epidemiologists.

Has anyone come across the issue of vaccination for those of us who had red measles back in the 50s or 60s? Should we (I) still be immune?

That's what I was thinking about. If we had a vaccine many years ago, are we still immune? How many years does it last?

All of my inoculations were up to date when I got pregnant, blood work was ordered and it was determined that I was still susceptible rubella. I worked as a pediatric dental assistant and except for hep, hiv and tentanus nothing else was tested, other health care workers will correct me. As far as I know unless you ask your dr to check you may not be aware if you are not immune?

That's what I was thinking about. If we had a vaccine many years ago, are we still immune? How many years does it last?

The question you quoted was from a person who actually had measles (and would be considered to have life long immunity).

If you have not had the disease, but were vaccinated in the 60's, this information would apply to you:

Many people age 60 years and older do not have records indicating what type of measles vaccine they received as children in the early 1960s. What measles vaccine was most frequently given in that time period? That guidance would assist many older people who would prefer not to be revaccinated.

Both killed and live attenuated measles vaccines became available in 1963. Live attenuated vaccine was used more often than killed vaccine. The killed vaccine was found to be not effective and people who received it should be revaccinated with live vaccine. Without a written record, it is not possible to know what type of vaccine an individual may have received. So persons born during or after 1957 who received killed measles vaccine or measles vaccine of unknown type, or who cannot document having been vaccinated or having laboratory-confirmed measles disease should receive at least 1 dose of MMR. Some people at increased risk of exposure to measles (such as healthcare professionals and international travelers) should receive 2 doses of MMR separated by at least 4 weeks.

Do people who received MMR in the 1960s need to have their dose repeated?

Not necessarily. People who have documentation of receiving live measles vaccine in the 1960s do not need to be revaccinated. People who were vaccinated prior to 1968 with either inactivated (killed) measles vaccine or measles vaccine of unknown type should be revaccinated with at least one dose of live attenuated measles vaccine. This recommendation is intended to protect people who may have received killed measles vaccine which was available in the United States in 1963 through 1967 and was not effective. Persons vaccinated before 1979 with either killed mumps vaccine or mumps vaccine of unknown type who are at high risk for mumps infection (such as persons who work in a healthcare facility) should be considered for revaccination with 2 doses of MMR vaccine.

source:http://www.immunize.org/askexperts/experts_mmr.asp

Yes, most of those people who died lived in places without adequate health care, and probably weren't real healthy to begin with, etc.

It's nice to know that most of our kids wouldn't die from the measles, but those who are vulnerable already probably wouldn't fare as well, and I don't think brain damage and hearing loss even in previously healthy children is anything to sneeze at.

Thank you for answering my question.

I would also like to say thank you to my fellow responsible and considerate Carolinians. Approx 98.8% of all school children are vaccinated. Your getting vaccinated helps keep those of us who can't healthy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

There is a chart of the percentage of unvaccinated school children per state in this article.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ations-best-child-vaccination-rate-heres-why/

If you have been vaccinated against measles but don't know if it was live attenuated or inactivated, you can always be tested for immunity rather than being vaccinated if that is important to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member