1087 users online (219 members and 868 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WA - The Rengo family, Bellingham, 27 January 2015

Bellingham couple and three young children missing

BELLINGHAM, Wash. — A Bellingham couple who have had trouble with CPS in the past is now missing. Erica Carey and Cleave Rengo had recently won a custody battle a few months ago to get their three young children back. The state Department of Social and Health Services had taken the children because of continued domestic issues in the home.The children went back to them on the condition they take parenting classes and have regular DSHS visits. Rengo was also required to take anger management and domestic violence classes.

The couple gained nationwide attention in October. They blamed the state for disapproving of the home birth of their young twins and their choice to use natural health treatments for their children. The state maintained that the home birth did not play a role in the decision to take the children. KING 5 News reports the couple and three kids, ages one and younger, have not been seen since Tuesday. They abruptly left the apartment they shared with Cleave’s father.

According to Bruce Rengo, the couple fought frequently and police were called three times last week. He says they had not followed through with the court orders and worried they would lose the children.
    - See more at: http://kgmi.com/news/007700-bellingh....VYX5T2qd.dpuf
    My kids are a window to my past, a mirror of today, a door to tomorrow, and a keeper of this proud old dad's heart forever.

Bruce Rengo hasn't seen his son, daughter-in-law or 3 grandchildren since Tuesday. The couple had a scheduled visit from CPS that morning, he says, but 30-minutes before, packed the car and said they planned to visit a friend. "I should've paid better attention to the fact they packed pretty heavily," Rengo remembered. Rengo worries the couple has no money, no plan, and not enough food for the children. He hopes they return soon. "Come home. Come here," he said. "Turn the children over to CPS. That's the best they can do right now."

http://www.king5.com/story/news/loca...-cps/22639743/

The writing in the article isn't great. It doesn't make it clear what information was from previous interviews and what was new information. Had the police been called three times in a recent week or was this back from when the kids were removed from the home (which also happened after numerous police calls to the home for domestic issues)? Also, doesn't make it clear if they left right before a social worker visit or if they were packing prior to the visit: if they left prior to the visit, that suggests that they knew the visit wouldn't go well for some reason and makes me wonder if there was something wrong with one of the kids. If they left after, it might be just due to paranoia because they think the visit didn't go well. Either way, it's apparent that these two are already struggling to handle three small children. I'm very concerned for the safety of the kids in this situation.

oh gosh! I hope and pray those children are safe, warm, and fed. I hate reading stories like these...

We adopted 9 of our children from WA state, never had any problems ourselves- but they are notorious for fraudulent cases against families- birth, foster and adoptive. I fostered children who NEVER should have been in foster care, I'm thankful they were all reunited.

Praying for this family either way.

*All posts are my opinion only, and only my opinion.*

mama to 12 / adoptive parent educator

This is local for me. The interview on TV with the Grandfather made more sense than the article. My understanding is the police had been called multiple times in the week leading up to them running and they ran just prior to the scheduled visit.

Dillysmom11 - can I just say that you are amazing?! Thank you so much for providing a home for those 9 children!! We adopted two from this particular county years ago and I am still very close with our caseworker that had our case for the whole process. I wouldn't want her job for any amount of money. They are so overworked and constrained by contradicting laws that give parents far more rights than the children they are trying to protect. I know the agency as a whole is broken. It was never meant to handle so many cases. And I know you weren't implying case workers were bad! I just wanted to put my personal experience out there as having seen one who went above and beyond what she needed to do because she is one who still cares about why she has the job in the first place.

State wants to find missing Rengo children

BELLINGHAM, Wash. — The state wants to find the young children of a Bellingham couple who disappeared last week before a court-ordered CPS visit. The children are now listed as missing persons. Earlier we reported that Erica Carey and Cleave Rengo both left Bellingham with their three young children, ages one and younger, last Tuesday. They haven’t been seen or heard from since. They were reportedly scheduled to have a court-ordered visit from the state Department of Social and Health Services later that day.

On Wednesday, DSHS issued an order to take the children into protective custody when they are found. The agency is now actively looking for them.

Bob Vander Yacht with Bellingham Police says in a statement they are helping CPS in the case. It’s believed the couple may be heading to their old home in Clark County, so police are watching for them down there as well. He says “there is certainly a concern for the children or CPS would not have sought the court order.”
    - See more at: http://kgmi.com/news/007700-state-wa....31vov3Jv.dpuf
    My kids are a window to my past, a mirror of today, a door to tomorrow, and a keeper of this proud old dad's heart forever.

What is the charge...I don't understand. Were the children not being fed or being abused or what?
    Sleuthing....from the perch.

Quote Originally Posted by shefner View Post
    What is the charge...I don't understand. Were the children not being fed or being abused or what?
    Rumor of course, but check the comments under the kgmi article linked on the post right above yours.

Looks like there are multiple reasons the "state" wants to find them. Most of all, the welfare of the babies.

Rengo children listed as missing after parents leave Bellingham home
    BELLINGHAM — Three young siblings at the center of a child welfare case have been listed as missing after their parents fled their Bellingham home. The Rengos became a social media sensation last year with online claims that the state was trying to take their children because the twins were born at home. Court testimony, however, focused on multiple other concerns from Child Protective Services, and a Whatcom County Superior Court commissioner ordered the couple to cooperate with CPS.

The children have been placed on the Washington State Patrol’s missing children website at www.wsp.wa.gov/crime/mischild.php. “The Rengo family is being sought by CPS, who have a court order to check on the welfare of the children,” Bellingham police Lt. Bob Vander Yacht said in a statement. “Our detectives continue to track any progress on this case, but we are doing so to support CPS.”
    Read more here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2015...#storylink=cpy

Mornakai?

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt_Tulip View Post
    Rumor of course, but check the comments under the kgmi article linked on the post right above yours.
    Very troubling comments.

I remember when they were in the news a few months back, just the headline made me angry...without knowing details I jumped to conclusions wanting to defend the family. I don't like to see them here, I'm worried sick about those babies. I hope the parents are taking proper care of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast