608 users online (88 members and 520 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

MN - Marc Welzant, 47, Brainerd, 26 October 2014

Marc Welzant, 47, has been missing since October. Marc walked out of a group home in Brainerd where he lived and headed to a nearby gas station. There is video of Marc leaving a holiday gas station near his group home on Oct. 26, 2014, the 400 block of South 6th street in Brainerd. Investigators said there have not been any new leads in months in Welzant’s disappearance. There is a $10,000 reward for information that helps find Marc.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/0...-brainerd-man/

Bring Marc Welzant Home
    https://www.facebook.com/bringmarcwelzanthome

NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/26638/0

Brainerd Man Missing Since Oct. 26
    November 5, 2014 2:52 PM
    http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/1...-since-oct-26/
    Marc Welzant was last seen at the Brainerd Holiday Gas Station shortly after he went missing the afternoon of Oct. 26.
    Welzant is 5 feet tall with short, light, brown hair and weighs about 190 pounds. He was wearing a black jacket and dark-colored sweat pants.
    His brother, David, said he has Prader-Willi Syndrome, a chromosomal disorder that has intellectual and behavioral effects, and Welzant’s family said they are very worried about his health.
    His family is hoping that hunters in the Brainerd area will keep an eye out for him. Welzant’s brother said that, with cold weather coming, his family feels they are losing time quickly.
    marc-welzant-2.jpg

Welzant was last seen about 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 26, 2014, by staff at the group home where he lived on the 1100 block of Beech Street in Brainerd. Store security video showed Welzant was at the Holiday Stationstore, 424 S. Sixth St., Brainerd about 2:50 p.m. on the day he went missing.

___

CLC law enforcement students search for missing man

The students walked at times in a horizontal line, opposite of the trail, searching for any object they could find. They found several plastic bags.

http://www.brainerddispatch.com/news...ch-missing-man

This case absolutely breaks my heart. Marc needs to come home.

Bumping for Marc - October 26 will be one year missing

The Bring Marc Welzant Home FB has info about a walk for Marc on 10/25/15:

https://www.facebook.com/bringmarcwelzanthome

About Prader-Willi syndrome:

"Prader-Willi syndrome is a complex genetic condition that affects many parts of the body. In infancy, this condition is characterized by weak muscle tone (hypotonia), feeding difficulties, poor growth, and delayed development. Beginning in childhood, affected individuals develop an insatiable appetite, which leads to chronic overeating (hyperphagia) and obesity. Some people with Prader-Willi syndrome, particularly those with obesity, also develop type 2 diabetes mellitus (the most common form of diabetes).

People with Prader-Willi syndrome typically have mild to moderate intellectual impairment and learning disabilities. Behavioral problems are common, including temper outbursts, stubbornness, and compulsive behavior such as picking at the skin. Sleep abnormalities can also occur. Additional features of this condition include distinctive facial features such as a narrow forehead, almond-shaped eyes, and a triangular mouth; short stature; and small hands and feet. Some people with Prader-Willi syndrome have unusually fair skin and light-colored hair. Both affected males and affected females have underdeveloped genitals. Puberty is delayed or incomplete, and most affected individuals are unable to have children (infertile)."
    always remembering

Jacob Wetterling, missing from St. Joseph, Minnesota since October 22, 1989

Jeanna North, missing from West Fargo, North Dakota since June 28, 1993

Hundreds attend awareness walk for missing man

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news...lk-missing-man

On a chilly, overcast day in Brainerd, hundreds took time out of their Sunday to participate in a walk to raise awareness for missing person Marc Welzant.

The group gathered in Kiwanis Park in Brainerd taking part in a walk of about 2 miles, retracing the route Welzant is believed to have taken the day he disappeared a year ago today.
    http://www.brainerddispatch.com/news...elzant-planned

All leads police have followed up on have not provided any insight to what may have happened to Welzant. He had no money, no phone, no mode of transportation and no identification. Welzant had no friends outside his family and group home, and did not have the ability or mental capacity to survive on his own.

After nearly a year of searching for Welzant, Brainerd police are no closer to finding him than when he went missing last fall. Police and family members continue to hope that someone may have seen something, no matter how minor, that could be useful in leading to Welzant.

Not sure if anyone will see this but Marc is my uncle and the latest news in Brainerd has me really wondering...
    another vulnerable adult, Brandon Rich went missing from his home on the same street Marc lived on (south 6th)
    today his body was found in a shallow lake (6ft deep) at the same park Marc was last seen. Although police had searched the day before in the river they were alerted to wet clothing by a park building that was identified as Brandons. Why would his clothing be wet and off of him? Even if he had went skinny dipping (which I doubt) his clothing wouldn't have been wet. And how did police not see it the day before? I don't think if Brandon was trying to hide he would've been successful for two full days without any one seeing him when it appears he was well known around town. Nor would he have went to a park that had had such heavy police presence due to search efforts.
    Just too many factors in common for me, perhaps it is all a coincidence but I am not so sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Bjs87 View Post
    Not sure if anyone will see this but Marc is my uncle and the latest news in Brainerd has me really wondering...
    another vulnerable adult, Brandon Rich went missing from his home on the same street Marc lived on (south 6th)
    today his body was found in a shallow lake (6ft deep) at the same park Marc was last seen. Although police had searched the day before in the river they were alerted to wet clothing by a park building that was identified as Brandons. Why would his clothing be wet and off of him? Even if he had went skinny dipping (which I doubt) his clothing wouldn't have been wet. And how did police not see it the day before? I don't think if Brandon was trying to hide he would've been successful for two full days without any one seeing him when it appears he was well known around town. Nor would he have went to a park that had had such heavy police presence due to search efforts.
    Just too many factors in common for me, perhaps it is all a coincidence but I am not so sure...
    Welcome BJs87! I had not put the two together. Here is Brandon's page.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...erd-4-May-2016

Thank you! I was worried immediately when I saw the first news Brandon was missing from south 6th street. While he lived with his family and not a group home it just seems strange how similar these two cases are. Both men are well known in the community and I just don't see how either wasn't seen more after they had disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by Bjs87 View Post
    Thank you! I was worried immediately when I saw the first news Brandon was missing from south 6th street. While he lived with his family and not a group home it just seems strange how similar these two cases are. Both men are well known in the community and I just don't see how either wasn't seen more after they had disappeared
    Sorry to bother Bjs, I just had some questions I was curious of....

1. It sounds like your brother is very friendly; would he have accepted a ride from someone he just met?
    2. Articles say he went to that gas station often; did he have a set routine of going there at expected times?
    3. You mentioned he lived at home and not a group home - did your parents provide most care or was there any outside help that would come in...nurses, aides, social workers?

Thank you and I'm very sorry to just learn about your brother....I too agree there are too many similarities for this and the Rich murder to be coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog3300 View Post
    Sorry to bother Bjs, I just had some questions I was curious of....

1. It sounds like your brother is very friendly; would he have accepted a ride from someone he just met?
    2. Articles say he went to that gas station often; did he have a set routine of going there at expected times?
    3. You mentioned he lived at home and not a group home - did your parents provide most care or was there any outside help that would come in...nurses, aides, social workers?

Thank you and I'm very sorry to just learn about your brother....I too agree there are too many similarities for this and the Rich murder to be coincidence.
    You are not bothering me at all.
    1. Marc was a very friendly person with a very unusual build and short stature who stood out in the community. Most knew him because of how friendly he was. However he also knew of the dangers of taking a ride with strangers and it's something he very often would tell us he would never do because his mom had warned him not to.
    2. He did not have a set routine of going there at certain times. While he did occasionally go to the store or walk around it wasn't a set thing.
    3. He lived in a group home, not a personal home like Brandon. The day he went missing he knew his sister was coming to pick him up for a shopping trip and dinner, both of which he was very excited about. The group homes story of what happened that day has changed a couple of times and even proven to be wrong by law enforcement at one point. However the police refused to question the individuals any further as they claim that's just not something you can do...
    He just wouldn't have purposely missed going with his sister and knew she was going to be there at a certain time.
    With the news of Brandon it has me wondering if there was some kind of predator in the area that would've preyed on these men as both would be easy victims. I don't know what has happened, and pray it is just a coincidence but worry there is more to these stories.
    If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!