KY KY - Shively, WhtFem 20-40, UP74, distinctive narrow nose, Jul'05

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A mystery in Shively could take weeks to unlock. Last Friday, workers at a construction site there discovered human bones. Almost a week later, it's still a case of Jane or John Doe.

Including this case in Shively, there are 51 Jane or John Doe cases in Kentucky.
http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=3649287

I was unable to find a thread for this Jane Doe, I did find where she was mentioned in this thread on Dail here http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12425&page=4

So here is Jane's info: http://doenetwork.org/cases/530ufky.html
Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on July 22, 2005 in Shively, Jefferson County, Kentucky
Estimated Date of Death: 2 - 15 years
Cause of Death: Homicide
partial Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 20-40 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"-5'4".
Distinguishing Characteristics: Three small hairs found near the body lead officials to believe she had straight brown hair, but that might only have been a root color. Distinctive, narrow nose.
Dentals: Available
DNA: Available in FBI NMPDD

Case History
The victim was located as a construction company was clearing a lot in the 3600 Block of Seventh Street Road in Shively, Kentucky on July 22, 2005. The lot once had an old ice-cream supply house and then a junkyard that has since been cleared.
Detectives said a year of research and tips from the scene led to the conclusion that her death was a homicide. Her body was purposely laid in a way to be hidden and her hands and body position indicate foul play.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Kentucky Medical Examiner Office
Emily Craig
502-564-4545 x 223
Email
OR
Jefferson County Coroner's Office
502-574-6262

Agency Case Number: FA-2005-41
NCIC Number: U-280016921

Here is a strong match, Lisa Shuttleworth (Ws thread here:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3477530 )
Her info here: http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightUSA/index.php?showtopic=423&st=0&
Name:Lisa Shuttleworth
Race: White
Height:5'3"
Weight:102
Hair:Brown
Eyes:Blue
Description:

On September 4, about 7:15AM, Shuttleworth’s 14-year-old daughter spoke with her mother by telephone from a friend’s home. The individual was scheduled to pick up her son from the bus stop Thursday afternoon, but never showed up.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of this individual is asked to contact the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office: (800) 922-9709

More of timeline from link above:
Shuttleworth's teenage daughter was spending the night at a friend's home on September 3, 2003. She called her mother at her Aiken, South Carolina home and they spoke at 7:00 a.m. on September 4. About an hour later, an acquaintance saw Shuttleworth in her blue/green 1994 Ponitiac Grand Am at the Pit Stop convenience store on Pine Log Road in Aiken. She appeared to be reading as she sat in her idling car, which she had borrowed from a friend. Shuttleworth called her friend at 10:00 a.m. and told him she was expecting a guest. She was supposed to pick up her son from a bus stop that afternoon, but did not. She has never been heard from again, and all phone calls after 10:00 a.m. went unanswered.
Shuttleworth was divorced in 2003 and has two children. She is a graduate of Midland Valley High School and had work experience in bookkeeping and secretarial duties. She was unemployed at the time of her disappearance; her last job was managing Jerico's, a private club on Belvedere-Clearwater Road. She took nothing with her but her purse when she disappeared, leaving her car behind and her home on Miller Street locked with tea on the stove.

Shuttleworth's parents believe she was abducted from outside her home, and police suspect foul play was involved in her disappearance. It is uncharacteristic of her to leave without warning or to abandon her children, who are now in the care of their maternal grandparents. Shuttleworth's case remains unsolved.

It's about 560 miles from Aiken,SC to Shively,KY possibly, driven in about 6 to 8hrs..... Very likely in my opinion... It's very disheartening to think that this is what may have happened to Ms. Shuttleworth, but, she disappeared 5 1/2 years ago.
What's ya'lls opinion?
Side by side: Jane Doe on left, Lisa on right

Attachments

• 530UFKY1 found 7-22-05.jpg
    530UFKY1 found 7-22-05.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 415
  • Lisa Marie Shuttleworth.jpg
    Lisa Marie Shuttleworth.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 231
Sorry Guys, I forgot to put the pics together, so when you click on the thumbnails, they both come up, it's easier for me to compare this way!

Here they are only Lisa is on left and JD on right:

Attachments

• Copy of 530UFKY found 7-22-05.jpg
    Copy of 530UFKY found 7-22-05.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 506
IIWY (did I make up a new one yet?? :) IIWY=If I were you) I would call LE on UID side and get who's been ruled out first. Then I'd call LE on Lisa's side and find out if she has DNA and what databases entered into. MOO

I lined them up..not much on the UID.

Discovered 7/22/05 in KY, Lisa went missing 2 yrs earlier on 9/4/03. Could line up.

Age on UID 20-40, Lisa 34 at @ disappearance. Could line up.

Height on UID is 5' 2"-5' 4", Lisa was 5' 3"...another mark on the /neg side (depends on who ya look at it)...k....

Neither one have anything 'good/useful' in the Distinguishing Characteristics listings...not helping.

Looking at Lisa's pic, IMO, she has a distinctively narrow nose, another thing that lines up. (thanks M, I stole yours)

Copy20of20530UFKY20found207-22-0-1.jpg

UID has DNA in NMPDD and Dentals. Find out if there is the same available for Lisa, easy rule in/out.

Great find! :dance:

Nice to see they both have threads on here, if they are not a match we can sleuth on. Anything you find out now can help that along.

Madeabecbec, I agree with Christine. I would definately call as she suggested. I think this is a great find, and I do see the strong resemblence.

Please keep us posted!

I emailed the Aiken County SC Sheriff, asking if there is DNA or Dentals available for Ms. Shuttleworth and if so, to please get them to Dr. Craig (ME for JD) so that they may be compared and to let us know the outcome. I also sent an email to Dr. Craig, but she let me know that if the DNA is not entered in CODIS then she will have to wait for that info from the SD. I'm hoping they have both, DNA and Dentals, and a ruling will be made very soon!
BTW, Dr. Craig responded almost immediately to my email, that sure made me happy, it seems that she is very dedicated to the victims that aren't identified. I admire that!

I'll let you all know how this turns out, just as soon as I do!

Thanks to everyone for all of ya'lls input and insight!

Jeremiah 29: 11-14

I think it looks like a great possibility. Great work!
Thanks TPP! I just want to say that is about the cutest baby in your pic! Just Precious! :angel:

Just wanted to let you all know, I have heard back from Dr. Craig and she says that Aiken County SO is updating information for Ms. Shuttleworth and she said
Mitochondrial DNA on both of these (missing and unidentified) is already in the central database, so if there is any possibility of a match it will be on the basis of mtDNA.[/QUOTE]

Oh! And no list for females that have been ruled out, so if someone has submitted another missing person and heard that they were ruled out, please post them here or pm me and I'll make a list and post it!

The waiting game has begun! It's a wonderful thing that I have been mightily blessed with patience!!

Jeremiah 29:11-14

Just a question.... Does anyone know, What is the Central Data Base for Mitochondrial DNA, is that the same as CODIS or are they two different areas for investigators?
If a comparison is made, how long does that usually take?

Don't know the answer to your DNA question, MadeaBecBec, but do hope you hear soon as the comparison looks good.

ETA The attached PDFs are written by David Van Norman, Deputy Coroner Investigator, San Bernardino County, CA. There is a page on DNA samples and CODIS.

Attachments

• What Every Family Must Know.pdf
    140.9 KB · Views: 19
  • WHAT EVERY MISSING PERSON INVESTIGATOR MUST KNOW Jan2009.pdf
    236.8 KB · Views: 44
Just a question.... Does anyone know, What is the Central Data Base for Mitochondrial DNA, is that the same as CODIS or are they two different areas for investigators?
If a comparison is made, how long does that usually take?

Madea - I am pretty sure that CODIS is the national system for America.
As to how long a comparison may take....I think it may just depend on the circumstances? Hope the info below helps!

Combined DNA Index System
The Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) is the FBI's national databases of genetic identification codes. Each DNA sample is stored as a 13 digit number.

CODIS consists of two sub-databases. The forensic index contains DNA evidence found at crime scenes. The offender index contains the DNA profiles of known offenders of sex offenses and other violent crimes. CODIS is primarily a national database for DNA data accumulated at local and state levels. All 50 states participate. In order to decrease the number of irrelevant matches, the convicted offender database requires all 13 CODIS STRs to be present for a profile upload. Forensic unknown profiles only require 10 of the STRs to be present for an upload.

As of November 2005, 124,200 forensic profiles and 2.8 million offender profiles have been accumulated, making it the second largest DNA databank in the world behind the United Kingdom. As of the same date, CODIS has produced over 27,700 matches to requests, assisting in more than 29,600 investigations.

The CODIS server itself is hidden at an unknown location.

There are many privacy and ethical concerns accompanying CODIS. The foremost is that CODIS represents the holy grail of eugenics. The database could be interpreted to yield the criminal gene. Such a discovery would have tremendous potential for abuse. CODIS does not have such a capacity. First, it does not store actual genetic information- just short identification codes. Secondly, the identification codes are created from so called "junk DNA". This DNA is not believed to have any function or influence on human characteristics.

The growing public approval of DNA databases has seen the creation and expansion of many states' own DNA databanks. California currently maintains the third largest DNA databank in the world (naturally, as CODIS contains all states' databank information). Political measures such as California Proposition 69 (2004), which increased the scope of the databank, have already met with a significant increase in numbers of investigations aided.

I see, Thanks Pearly! MtDna does not have the 13 markers specific to individual DNA, which is required for CODIS. I did find this from Wikepedia though
Many researchers believe that mtDNA is better suited to identification of older skeletal remains than nuclear DNA because the greater number of copies of mtDNA per cell increases the chance of obtaining a useful sample, and because a match with a living relative is possible even if numerous maternal generations separate the two
Very Very Interesting!!!

I know that Dail Dinwiddie was ruled out.

Thanks, I'm searching for more that have been ruled out and if I get a few more, I'll email the Namus site, to see if there's a possibilty to list those names, I think it would be easy enough to do and would save "everyone" some time investigating!!

I still haven't heard anything one way or the other about Ms. Shuttleworth!!:confused:

Thanks, I'm searching for more that have been ruled out and if I get a few more, I'll email the Namus site, to see if there's a possibilty to list those names, I think it would be easy enough to do and would save "everyone" some time investigating!!

I still haven't heard anything one way or the other about Ms. Shuttleworth!!:confused:

MBB not sure if you know but if you go to porchlight for the missing they have a thing where you can see if there have been rule outs for particular doe's you just need to follow by their case file number (if you get stuck email me)
Pearly

I see, Thanks Pearly! MtDna does not have the 13 markers specific to individual DNA, which is required for CODIS. I did find this from Wikepedia though
Very Very Interesting!!!

Am soooooo :confused: about CODIS......

I believe both ladies are said to have DNA on file in FBI NMPDD. So does that mean their in the CODIS databank, MadeaBecBec?

ETA Have noticed some MedExs are listing rule-outs on NamUs UID files.

Am soooooo :confused: about CODIS......

I believe both ladies are said to have DNA on file in FBI NMPDD. So does that mean their in the CODIS databank, MadeaBecBec?

ETA Have noticed some MedExs are listing rule-outs on NamUs UID files.

I sent an email asking about MtDNA in CODIS, the answer I received, was this; CODIS databanks have 11-13 distinct markers that is searched for when computing an entry, MtDNA does not have 11-13 distinct markers,
Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is found in the mitochondria of the cell. It is inherited only from the mother. Mitochondrial DNA is generally extracted from biological items of evidence such as hair, bones and teeth. Typically, these samples contain low concentrations of degraded DNA, often making them unsuitable for nuclear DNA examinations. The aspect of maternal inheritance is useful in missing persons cases where direct DNA reference samples are often not available, but since multiple individuals can have the same mtDNA type, unique identifications are not possible using only mtDNA analyses. CODIS allows for the entry of mtDNA only in the Missing Persons related indexes.MtDNA can go back to 5-6 generations (yeehaw).

In 2000, the FBI Laboratory began developing the National Missing Person DNA Database (NMPDD) program for the identification of missing and unidentified persons. Both mtDNA and STR profiles can be entered into the missing persons indexes of CODIS. Efforts to enhance kinship analysis for missing persons data is a top priority of the CODIS Program. Once fully implemented, the enhancements will provide investigators with a powerful tool in the identification of mission and unidentified persons on a national level. NMPDD uses 3 Indexes in NDIS to enter DNA profiles that can be searched against each other. If a missing persons report says that DNA is available and doesn't say "in CODIS" then most likely it's MtDNA and that part of the computing program has not been completed, but I've read in some "journals" that say most certainly that will be completed and part of the CODIS program, by the middle of 2010 (yeehaw again) A good read is here: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/codis/codis_brochures.htm

Wow! I posted all that to say this; If a missing person is submitted as a possible match to a Doe, and both have MtDNA or DNA in NMPDD, it's a fairly easy investigation, the FBI (or rather super computers) just pulls up their markers and compares them... Unlike CODIS' program, where LE enters the DNA markers and the program searches for it's match and hopefully finds one.

And yes, some Chief ME's are putting the rule-outs on IdentifyUS and their own websites, that's a smart thing on their part and I am sure the rest will follow soon, just makes their job easier, what with all the online communities and families searching for possible matches, BTW, Maricopa County AZ MedEx website was the first to list rule-outs, kudos to them!:clap:
I am totally fascinated by DNA & MtDNA, it is miracleous, cause I just know, that only GOD could've designed it that way!!

I wonder has anyone heard anything about this submission?

Thanks for the reminder! I e-mailed Dr. Craig, today, she responded that, although Shuttleworths missing info states that DNA is available, it has not been entered into either databases, so unable to rule that way. A request has been made as to dental charts, none received as of yet! Dr. Craig also stated that she would enter result on NamUs, if Shuttleworth was excluded....
Hurry up and wait.....
P.S. I have not received any response from Aiken County Sheriff, since March!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back