Robin Williams’s Widow and Children Tangle Over Estate

SophieRose

Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/m...children-tangle-over-estate.html?src=twr&_r=2

Court documents filed in December and January outline a bitter disagreement over money and property between the widow, Susan Schneider Williams, who was Mr. Williams’s third wife, and Zak, Zelda and Cody Williams, the comedian’s children from two previous marriages that ended in divorce.

At stake is not only a portion of the wealth that Mr. Williams accumulated in a film, television and stage career of some 40 years, but also cherished belongings that include his clothing, collectibles and personal photographs.

He was their father for cryin' out loud. She needs to step back and let it be IMO

Can't you almost hear and see Robin Williams, with that earnest face and quiet demeanor, looking at Susan and saying "Don't do this. Please, I took care of you. Just please, don't do this."

It could almost be a scene out of one of his movies.

I agree, very sad, but unfortunately all too common. I saw unbelievable ugliness going on when a close relative died, and the size of his estate was MINISCULE. Relatives even demanded his live in girlfriend give up his half used shampoo and conditioner bottles in his shower. I kid you not!

And she will either sell the "knickknacks", or pass them to her children when she dies. No, they belong to Robin's children.

to Ms Williams.....acquiesce please.

What's right is what's left if you do everything else wrong.
~Robin Williams

Disgusting. I think that Robin would be horrified to hear about this. Have a heart stepmom.

I agree with Damarna. She needs to step back. He was their father...many of things things mean more to his children than to her. Sure, she can have the tuxedo, but what for? She's not gonna wear it. I don't see why one of her kids would want to wear it... strange.

I have an in-law cousin who is going through the courts to fight with his sisters over property their mother left them. So sad. They are wasting money from their mother to fight.

I have a different view....kind of.....I heard they basically bombarded "Her" home....after his death...and started removing things right away....I would hate to be in her shoes.

I think his kids knew how she was going to be. I sure hope they get his toy soldiers and anything else of meaning to them.

I agree 100% that no one should bombard her in the manner reported. I do believe the kids deserve those momentos that were important connections with their dad....but respect needs to be the basis on both sides. MOO

I still believe the kids deserve those things that connect them to their dad...but she is grieving too and some compassion from the kid's representatives may go a long way in the end. You are absolutely correct IMO that her home shouldnt be bombarded.

The story about being "bombarded" is Susan's. Who knows what happened, but things can "disappear" quickly when someone dies. So when there is any question, a beneficiary can save themself much future angst by resolving matters like this before things go missing. It happened to me. I wasn't even thinking about "things," it didn't even enter my mind. And later it was too late. And the person who took things SOLD them. (OMG I could still almost cry.) I would bet $1 that the children were advised by an attorney to act quickly.

The thing that raised my eyebrows was reading that RW provided her with, among other things, the house and lifetime support/maintenance, but she is challenging this provision by asking for more $ for things such as "unexpected renovations." And it sounds like RW was very careful and deliberate about his wishes. He made "The Susan Trust" after marrying her. He knew what he wanted to leave to whom.

"The children countered that Mrs. Williams has continued to block their access to the Tiburon home, even as she has allowed others inside. Those others included appraisers who estimated the value of items that the children contend are rightfully theirs and workers who helped design and complete a $30,000 renovation, the court papers contend." - from NYT article linked previously in this thread.

I'm sorry about what happened to you, Boodles. I read in an article that she doesn't want to give up what was willed to his kids because it would leave her with an empty house. Why couldn't she go buy new stuff? I'm sure that Robin didn't leave her destitute.

The story about being "bombarded" is Susan's. Who knows what happened, but things can "disappear" quickly when someone dies. So when there is any question, a beneficiary can save themself much future angst by resolving matters like this before things go missing. It happened to me. I wasn't even thinking about "things," it didn't even enter my mind. And later it was too late. And the person who took things SOLD them. (OMG I could still almost cry.) I would bet $1 that the children were advised by an attorney to act quickly.

The thing that raised my eyebrows was reading that RW provided her with, among other things, the house and lifetime support/maintenance, but she is challenging this provision by asking for more $ for things such as "unexpected renovations." And it sounds like RW was very careful and deliberate about his wishes. He made "The Susan Trust" after marrying her. He knew what he wanted to leave to whom.

"The children countered that Mrs. Williams has continued to block their access to the Tiburon home, even as she has allowed others inside. Those others included appraisers who estimated the value of items that the children contend are rightfully theirs and workers who helped design and complete a $30,000 renovation, the court papers contend." - from NYT article linked previously in this thread.

The problem is that his attorney used very generic terms in the will instead of making specific bequests. I can't understand why RW would have such a crummy attorney.

I've got a better attorney and will than Robin Williams? Wow, I am big time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back