900 users online (132 members and 768 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird' sequel set to publish

Harper Lee: The Sadness of a Sequel (Atlantic, via Yahoo)

---
    Harper Lee, today, finds herself in a place she traditionally has not enjoyed occupying: the news. That's because of the surprise announcement that To Kill a Mockingbird will have its long-awaited sequel: Go Set a Watchman, about the adventures of a grown-up Scout as she returns to Maycomb, Alabama to visit Atticus. That a novel more than 60 years in the making would finally be published was the result, Lee said in a statement delivered through her publisher, Penguin Random House, of some crazy serendipity: The book’s long-lost manuscript was discovered by her lawyer, the statement says, “in a secure location where it had been affixed to an original typescript of To Kill a Mockingbird.”
    ---
    the rest at link above

^^^^Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for posting.

One of my all-time favorite books! I hope the sequel is a worthy successor to the original. If TKAM was published in 1960, Harper Lee must be what, at least in her late 70s now? Even older? I'm delighted by this news, but also a bit apprehensive.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Mama View Post

One of my all-time favorite books! I hope the sequel is a worthy successor to the original. If TKAM was published in 1960, Harper Lee must be what, at least in her late 70s now? Even older? I'm delighted by this news, but also a bit apprehensive.
    Yes, sequels on the way following masterworks make one squeamish indeed. We'll see. And Ms. Lee will be 89 on April 28th.

Harper Lee, Author of ‘To Kill a Mockingbird,’ Is to Publish a Second Novel
    By Alexandra Alter, FEB. 3, 2015

"The recently rediscovered book, “Go Set a Watchman,” was completed in the mid-1950s, in the midst of the civil rights movement. It takes place 20 years after “To Kill a Mockingbird.” Though it’s effectively a sequel, Ms. Lee actually wrote “Go Set a Watchman” first."

Screenshot 2015-02-03 at 7.57.35 PM.jpg

To be published on Bastille Day, July 14th

Last edited by FindHG; 02-03-2015 at 09:06 PM.

"Be sure to read the Atlantic piece in the OP," wfg said in his best English-teacherly manner. "Quiz on Thursday."

Had she thought it had been lost, or can she just not remember that she didn't want it published? Hmm. . .

Also, the DM article states, "The Supreme Court had ruled unanimously in 1953 that segregated schools were unconstitutional." Did I miss something? I thought Brown vs. Board of Education was 1954.

Quote Originally Posted by Concerned Mama View Post
    Had she thought it had been lost, or can she just not remember that she didn't want it published? Hmm. . .

Also, the DM article states, "The Supreme Court had ruled unanimously in 1953 that segregated schools were unconstitutional." Did I miss something? I thought Brown vs. Board of Education was 1954.
    Once again, DM demonstrates a tenuous "knowledge" of the former colonies: the decision in Oliver Brown et al. v. The Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, was handed down on 17 May 1954 (when yrs trly here was 35 days old!).

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Once again, DM demonstrates a tenuous "knowledge" of the former colonies: the decision in Oliver Brown et al. v. The Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, was handed down on 17 May 1954 (when yrs trly here was 35 days old!).
    so, wfgodot, long wait?

Quote Originally Posted by FindHG View Post
    so, wfgodot, long wait?
    22,178 days since the decision. (http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html)

How odd. The school I went to in west Texas did not desegregate until 1963. They took their sweet time about it. And the city-funded Athletic Association closed the pool rather than desegregate around 1968, if memory serves. I am 65 years old. Some things have gotten better.

Very exciting! To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourite books. Tough act to follow though. More than once I've been disappointed by a sequel so really hope that isn't the case here.

Actually, thinking about it, I kind of like having Jemmy and Scout as children forever.

Quote Originally Posted by spangled View Post
    Actually, thinking about it, I kind of like having Jemmy and Scout as children forever.
    snip

Well-put. As TKAMB is classic teenage fare, I see little literary good coming from tales of a grown up Maycomb contingent twenty years on.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast