Harper Lee's 'To Kill a Mockingbird' sequel set to publish

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Harper Lee: The Sadness of a Sequel (Atlantic, via Yahoo)

---
Harper Lee, today, finds herself in a place she traditionally has not enjoyed occupying: the news. That's because of the surprise announcement that To Kill a Mockingbird will have its long-awaited sequel: Go Set a Watchman, about the adventures of a grown-up Scout as she returns to Maycomb, Alabama to visit Atticus. That a novel more than 60 years in the making would finally be published was the result, Lee said in a statement delivered through her publisher, Penguin Random House, of some crazy serendipity: The book’s long-lost manuscript was discovered by her lawyer, the statement says, “in a secure location where it had been affixed to an original typescript of To Kill a Mockingbird.”
---
the rest at link above

^^^^Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for posting.

:party:

One of my all-time favorite books! I hope the sequel is a worthy successor to the original. If TKAM was published in 1960, Harper Lee must be what, at least in her late 70s now? Even older? I'm delighted by this news, but also a bit apprehensive.

:party:

One of my all-time favorite books! I hope the sequel is a worthy successor to the original. If TKAM was published in 1960, Harper Lee must be what, at least in her late 70s now? Even older? I'm delighted by this news, but also a bit apprehensive.
Yes, sequels on the way following masterworks make one squeamish indeed. We'll see. And Ms. Lee will be 89 on April 28th.

Harper Lee, Author of ‘To Kill a Mockingbird,’ Is to Publish a Second Novel
By Alexandra Alter, FEB. 3, 2015

"The recently rediscovered book, “Go Set a Watchman,” was completed in the mid-1950s, in the midst of the civil rights movement. It takes place 20 years after “To Kill a Mockingbird.” Though it’s effectively a sequel, Ms. Lee actually wrote “Go Set a Watchman” first."

Screenshot 2015-02-03 at 7.57.35 PM.jpg

To be published on Bastille Day, July 14th

:yesss::yesss::yesss:

"Be sure to read the Atlantic piece in the OP," wfg said in his best English-teacherly manner. "Quiz on Thursday."

Had she thought it had been lost, or can she just not remember that she didn't want it published? :dunno: Hmm. . .

Also, the DM article states, "The Supreme Court had ruled unanimously in 1953 that segregated schools were unconstitutional." Did I miss something? I thought Brown vs. Board of Education was 1954.

Had she thought it had been lost, or can she just not remember that she didn't want it published? :dunno: Hmm. . .

Also, the DM article states, "The Supreme Court had ruled unanimously in 1953 that segregated schools were unconstitutional." Did I miss something? I thought Brown vs. Board of Education was 1954.
Once again, DM demonstrates a tenuous "knowledge" of the former colonies: the decision in Oliver Brown et al. v. The Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, was handed down on 17 May 1954 (when yrs trly here was 35 days old!).

Once again, DM demonstrates a tenuous "knowledge" of the former colonies: the decision in Oliver Brown et al. v. The Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas, was handed down on 17 May 1954 (when yrs trly here was 35 days old!).

so, wfgodot, long wait?:winkaway:

How odd. The school I went to in west Texas did not desegregate until 1963. They took their sweet time about it. And the city-funded Athletic Association closed the pool rather than desegregate around 1968, if memory serves. I am 65 years old. Some things have gotten better.

Very exciting! To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favourite books. Tough act to follow though. More than once I've been disappointed by a sequel so really hope that isn't the case here.

Actually, thinking about it, I kind of like having Jemmy and Scout as children forever.

Actually, thinking about it, I kind of like having Jemmy and Scout as children forever.
snip

Well-put. As TKAMB is classic teenage fare, I see little literary good coming from tales of a grown up Maycomb contingent twenty years on.

Harper Lee’s second novel, ‘Go Set a Watchman,’ to be published in July text

For Harper Lee fans, great excitement for the book that came before ‘Mockingbird’
PBS Newshour February 3, 2015 at 6:20 PM EST video (great informative discussion)

Wally Lamb says:

"I also think that it’s unfair if people are gearing up to judge it against “To Kill a Mockingbird,” because, you know, I think that’s inappropriate. And I would — I have several drafts of my work, too. And you know, it might be interesting for people to see what the final product is, as opposed to, you know, an earlier effort. But, you know, I just think this is such valuable material that we have waiting for us."

Mary Murphy adds:

"And I want to echo what Wally said, too. I mean, I just think, in any form, we get to see — we get to see the parallels between Atticus and Scout in a different way. And all of that is great news. So whether it’s two million or four million people that read it, come July, it’s all cause for celebration."

BBM

Can't wait to read it, to be lost in her words with those characters.

I wonder if the literati will be catty if the book's a literary success and wonder aloud, "Did Truman write this one, too?"

(For background see answers.yahoo.com.)

My 'Debacle Ahead!' warning light is flashing.

Seems people close to Harper Lee doubt whether she's been consulted properly regarding the book's publication.

See comments from Marja Mills in this NY Times article, as well as comments from the publisher admitting he hasn't spoken with her, only with her attorney.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/04/b...-a-mockingbird-is-to-publish-a-new-novel.html

It's a real shame if that is the case, as it we would suggest that she's been manipulated following the death of her sister.

I can't imagine any author giving consent to have an old manuscript published without giving it a least a quick proof read.

Leaves a bit of a nasty taste in the mouth really.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back