1360 users online (252 members and 1108 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Here's a couple of recent(2012) photos of Thompson Lane (Krispy Kreme). Looks like the alley runs beside the Walgreens...

http://www.wkrn.com/story/19076176/business-evacuated
    But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream! -Amos 5:24

To complete this list I'm adding what we already knew from the article.

• Kathy Jones was a blonde, blue-eyed sixth grader
    • Her body was found 300 yards from the Roller Drome Skating Rink on Thompson Lane.
    • Kathy "apparently" was dead since Saturday night
    • She "probably" was attacked while walking to the skating rink.
    • She "apparently" suffocated
    • A sock was stuffed down her throat
    • Her blouse was "shoved into her mouth"
    • Lying face down in the tall weeds behind Krispy Kreme
    • A "faint trace of blood" on her stomach
    • She was wearing only one sock
    • A Civil Defense sergeant made the discovery
    • The Civil Defense team started searching Sunday night
    • A resident who lived next to the lot didn't hear unusual noises on Saturday night. She was away visiting relatives all day on Sunday.
    • Kathy left home headed to the skating rink at 7:45 P.M. on Saturday evening
    • "...an investigation disclosed" that she didn't make it to the rink.
    • A Metro policeman at the scene declared, "There had to be at least three persons involved in this." (Keep in mind, this is not an official statement. The officer didn't want to be identified, and it reads like an initial gut reaction. He goes on to say he would "probably want to kill" the persons responsible if he could catch them.)
    • K's nude body was lying 20' from the alley.
    • It couldn't be seen by searchers walking down the alley or the street.
    • Her skates and clothing were lying at her feet. (This description differs somewhat from the one reported by the Scene.)
    • K's blouse was used as a gag.
    • Two strips of cloth torn from the lining of her jacket were used to tie her wrists. (Answers the question about the plaid cloth some speculated might belong to the killer.)
    • Spectators were kept away from the scene while LE searched for clues.
    • According to an investigator, it "appeared" the sexual attack had taken place at the scene where K's body was found
    • The body was taken to a funeral home after an investigator from the DA's office arrived on the scene.
    • Kathy left home by herself intending to walk to the skating rink.
    • She had not been there for "some time" because "she didn't want her two little brothers following her."
    • K's mom told the Banner that K earned $1.00 by helping her with housework on Saturday.
    • LE didn't say if the money was found at the scene.
    • K was not "to the nylon-lipstick stage", according to her mother.
    • After being taken to the funeral home, Metro M.E., Dr. T. E. Simpkins, was expected to perform "a detailed examination and possible autopsy". (This is not the same doctor we talked about earlier who was named in this article, http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6723%2C2584619)
    • LE at the scene said it was obvious K had been "criminally assaulted, probably before she was slain".
    • Parents were separated; father lived in Clarksville.
    • The plan was for K to call her mom when she finished skating, and her mom would pick her up.
    • When K didn't call, her mom went to the rink, but it was closed.
    • After hearing from Mrs. Jones that K had never run away, had no problems at home, and had told her mom she'd call when she was finished skating, the CD director ordered the unit to search.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...zQ&usp=sharing
    Last edited by bessie; 02-04-2015 at 08:47 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Articles from December 3, 1969

• Kathy died from suffocation around noon on Monday, December 1, 1969.
    • She "apparently" was held captive for 36 hours
    • Sixteen LEO's assigned to the case
    • Three persons were questioned. All were released.
    • One man was questioned and subsequently arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
    • K was a shy girl who wouldn't talk to strange men.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6723%2C2584619

• Two men sought for questioning
    • One man in custody

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...4718%2C4334632
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

TN - Kathy Jones *Media, Maps, Timelines, & Photos **NO DISCUSSION**

Kathy went missing on the evening of November 29, 1969, the same day as Glenda Sirmans.

The plaid cloth was torn from the lining of her jacket.

ETA: Adding links

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvi...nt?oid=1182733

http://www.wsmv.com/story/19024068/c...risly-killings

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10774294
    Last edited by bessie; 02-04-2015 at 08:48 PM. Reason: removed discussion
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

The first suspect was Adcox, the bus driver who's now deceased. He was actually arrested, but there wasn't enough evidence to build a case, so he was released. He remained a suspect at least as late as 2009.

In 1998, Det. Miller stated he didn't think the bus driver was responsible. He was certain another man was the killer. I've always wondered how that panned out, and whether the unnamed person is a suspect today.

[snipped]
    Miller said Adcox admitted to a lot of things he had done over the years, but the Jones killing wasn’t one of them. In addition, Miller says he and other detectives began developing some information on another subject.
    “Myself and Detective Postiglione started going through the files and looking into the evidence and actually ran some polygraphs.”

[snipped]
    The evidence they uncovered, Miller believes, is solid. So solid, in fact, that it led to the killer. Miller cannot say what that evidence is. “At this point in time, we feel certain we know who killed her.... This man is living in Nashville and works every day.”

[snipped]
    “We haven’t completely given up on the case.” Miller says. “We’re hoping someone will come forward with a little information that will help us bring him to justice.”

[snipped]
    “There is at least one person who we have tried to get to talk to us who could possibly provide us with enough information to get this guy, but I’m not sure they’re ever going to feel comfortable in doing that.”
    http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvi...nt?oid=1182733

Eight years after the murder police charged a man with Jones' killing, but dropped the charges later. Police said he was still a suspect.
    http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10774294
    "Kathy Jones was reported missing on Nov. 29, and her body was found Dec. 2, 1969," Postiglione said.

Twelve-year-old Kathy headed off for the roller rink but never made it there. "She was found in the alley on Grandview Avenue in a vacant lot with her roller skates still with her," Postiglione said.

Officers found the girl bound, gagged and sexually assaulted.
    Police later arrested Edward Adcox, a convicted rapist, who they said bragged to other inmates about killing her, but the case fell apart when he changed his story.

"I was not guilty on the murder. I've never killed anybody in my life. I just can't stand the sight of blood, myself," Adcox said in a Channel 4 News interview at the time.
    http://www.wsmv.com/story/19024068/c...risly-killings
    Last edited by bessie; 02-04-2015 at 08:20 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

2804 Grandview Avenue, then and now.
    If my perspective is accurate - In the '69 pic, the building in the center stood where the parking lot is today, approx. where the Krispy Kreme truck is parked in the 2014 pic. The multi-angled roofline of the Furniture Warehouse can be seen on the right in both pics, as well as a jumble of scrub growing there in 1969 (also on right) as it still is today.
    Attachment 64693
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grandview then and now - an alternate perspective.

Trying to determine by contemporary landmarks where the old newspaper photo was taken. The light patch in the weeds in the photo is the trampled grass where the investigators were standing when they were examining the scene.

The 1969 press pic was definitely taken on the very eastern edge of the vacant grassy lot, the photographer likely may have been standing in the alley, aiming the camera to the southwest. Due to the old photo's poor quality and how the Krispy Kreme property has changed, I am not certain relative to the Furniture Wharehouse roofline if the pic was taken further back on the lot (to the north), or closer to Krispy Kreme and Thompson Lane (to the south).

The right edge of the wharehouse roofline suggests the photographer may have been standing further south, which is where I was standing today when I took this alternate pic, closer to the where the parking lot is today.

In both instances when I took the pics, the fence separating the alley from the grassy lot was immediately to my back. In today's pic, I was even standing on a patch of alleyway asphalt exposed on the grassy-lot side of the fence.

From this more southern angle, the building in the center of the old pic more likely could have then been the old Krispy Kreme as it lines up closer to where the new Krispy kreme is today.

Attachment 64720

Hello Bessie, yes, I do have some thoughts. I have visited the site before, but have been back to Grandview a couple of times in the past few days, and all sorts of new impressions have been jumping out at me that I have not had before from maps, photographs, and articles. After I write them down to clarify them to myself, I will post them here. In the mean time, I've also edited a zoomed in version of the photos. Been trying to triangulate the pitch and angle of the Furniture Warehouse roofline to try and pin down where along the alley the old photograph was taken.
    Attachment 64746

Also including a photo of the back (north east) corner of the lot (for reference, note concrete slab in the grass in both 2014 pics). Been wondering if the old photo was taken along the fence line (the alley just on the other side of the green mesh), somewhere on a point between the concrete slab in the foreground and back a few paces down slope towards the large trees.
    Attachment 64750

Thompson Lane and Nolensville Pike, northwest corner, looking south / southeast down Nolensville. Thank you to nola (post #757) for posting the 1960s pics, and to Searchin' for ID-ing angle and location (post #760): “….I parked in Eckerd's lot which is about the location where the photographer stood. It's looking south down Nolensville Rd (White Castle is now across Thompson Lane from the Gulf station/Eckerd). The building in the background with the Kroger sign is still there....it's just another business."
    Attachment 64842
    Non-cropped 2014 pic:
    Attachment 64843

Thompson Lane, aerial view, from the Banner, Dec. 3, 1969. Have some questions about the accuracy of the labels in the pic, but I could get to that later.
    Attachment 64844

All Weather Roller Drome, from the Banner, Dec. 3, 1969. South side of Thompson, looking east.
    Attachment 64846

From the December 4th, 1969 Tennessean. The alley at night. The pic is dark, but that's 2802 Grandview on the left (the south wall, east end), and the back of 2801 Nolensville Pike lit up, just on the other side of the alley. The reporter is standing in the alley. The vacant lot (and KK beyond) would be to the right of the photographer.
    Attachment 68595

The photographer was standing here, just behind the chain link fence on the back side of 2802 Grandview....
    Attachment 68596

... and aiming the camera here, towards the back of 2801 Nolensville (for point of reference, note blue dumpster).....
    Attachment 68597

Attachment 68598

"I just can't see her walking through that alley after dark..."

I feel a similar way. So much depends on the perception of safety in any one time and place. I can’t imagine her walking there at all after dark even on the main roads (let alone cutting down, say, poorly lit McClain Ave. and passing through the alley) but maybe that was perceived as perfectly safe back then.
    Attachment 68601

Sorry if this has been posted here before, but there's a video online out there called "The old Thompson Lane Tunnel / Underpass in Nashville Tennessee", a vhs tape "taken on January 1, 1984 of the old 2-lane underpass on Thompson Lane in Nashville Tennessee."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMb4E9S5UNQ

After they go under the tunnel, "you see Famous State Sales in the building where Performance Studios is now, which was once the old Roller Drome Skating Rink (a place I skated as a kid). Then you see the original Siam Cafe, which moved many years ago."

The Famous State Sales (Performance Studios) building can be seen with its two-story yellow sign with black letters. They then make a right turn pulling into the parking lot of the present day Performance Studios, on the side of the Siam Cafe (519 W. Thompson Lane - east side of the PS parking lot).

All the more revealing (and frustrating): right at the 35 second mark in the video, just before they turn, the distinctly shaped Krispy Kreme sign can be seen in the background, center-left. However, a big white moving van is parked right there on Grandview Ave., waiting to turn onto Thompson, blocking the view of most of the KK property. Most of the property, but not all. You can see the back-half of the old KK building....

Attachment 68630

Same view, zoomed in, the Krispy Kreme sign and the old Krispy Kreme building boxed in red....

Attachment 68629

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast