710 users online (84 members and 626 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MA - Toddler Dies after Lice Treatment (Mayonnaise and a plastic bag) Goes Awry

A central Massachusetts toddler died over the weekend after suffocating while undergoing a home treatment for head lice involving mayonnaise and a plastic bag, police said on Thursday...

The family had put the child to bed on Friday night with mayonnaise and a plastic bag on her scalp in an attempt to treat head lice, he said. As the infant slept, the bag apparently covered her face, suffocating her.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0L91YR20150205

No charges have been filed yet. Does anyone see a crime here or not?

A huge mistake and possible negligence. But I know if my child had lice I would not want to use harsh chemicals and might try this method. I'd like to think I'd know better than to leave the child unattended, though. If, upon autopsy, no lice is found....then yes, possible crime.

I would agree. Unless the parent's story has holes in it, I don't see criminal charges.

Um, cops called at 3pm the next day????

Possibly crime of stupidity. How can you not foresee a toddler wallowing in the bed and pulling and tugging and doing anything to get the bag off? Plus I've never heard that the mayonnaise had to stay on all night. But, no it is probably not a chargeable offense.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by wendybtn View Post
    Possibly crime of stupidity. How can you not foresee a toddler wallowing in the bed and pulling and tugging and doing anything to get the bag off? Plus I've never heard that the mayonnaise had to stay on all night. But, no it is probably not a chargeable offense.

would have thought that a shower cap would have been safer alternative for a very young child ....... MOO
    Just My Opinion

keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    The cops were called at 3 pm? I wonder if they meant putting the child down for a nap, but no it reads friday night the toddler went to bed with the mayo and bag. Possible neglect charges if these hours are real. I can not even imagine any child of any age wanting to sleep with a bag on their head.

I don't see a crime. I see someone trying to kill lice in a healthy way because we know the chemicals are caustic.

This seems like tragedy to me. Nothing more.
    Atticus Finch: “You never really understand a person . . . until you consider things from his point of view.” To Kill A Mockingbird

All my posts are my opinion only.

The family had put the child to bed on Friday night with mayonnaise and a plastic bag on her scalp in an attempt to treat head lice, he said.
    Police in Springfield, about 90 miles west of Boston, responded to the 18-month-old girl's home at about 3 p.m. on Saturday after receiving a 911 call that a child was not breathing,
    Well if the child went to bed on Friday night and help was alerted on Saturday afternoon at 3 pm, where the heck were all the adults on Saturday morning?

I dunno, if no one checks on a toddler wearing a plastic bag for 15 hours or more, it sounds like negligence to me. Even without the plastic bag I'd say it sounds bad.

I can certainly understand not wanting harsh chemical delousing treatments in favor of some of the more benign home remedies. But if the timeline is put to bed with plastic bag on 18 month old's head and she was left unattended I think it warrants the closer look it is getting.

Police in Springfield, about 90 miles west of Boston, responded to the 18-month-old girl's home at about 3 p.m. on Saturday after receiving a 911 call that a child was not breathing, said department spokesman Sergeant John Delaney. Officers found an adult administering CPR to the child, but medical personnel determined that the young girl had been dead for some time, he said.

The family had put the child to bed on Friday night with mayonnaise and a plastic bag on her scalp in an attempt to treat head lice, he said

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0L91YR20150205

The girl was left unattended and apparently fell asleep, allowing the bag to slip down over her face, suffocating her.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/p...tment-28743260
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

Quote Originally Posted by angelainwi View Post
    Um, cops called at 3pm the next day????
    Also,

Police in Springfield, about 90 miles west of Boston, responded to the 18-month-old girl's home at about 3 p.m. on Saturday after receiving a 911 call that a child was not breathing, said department spokesman Sergeant John Delaney. Officers found an adult administering CPR to the child, but medical personnel determined that the young girl had been dead for some time, he said.

Put a baby to bed on Friday night but don't call police until 3:00pm and child has been deceased for some time.

Yes, I see a crime. moo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just striving to be average.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysonmymind View Post
    Also,

Put a baby to bed on Friday night but don't call police until 3:00pm and child has been deceased for some time.

Yes, I see a crime. moo

If that is true, Then something is up.. But I am leaning towards the baby being down for a nap around that time and maybe the same treatment used as was used the night before. That sounds practical to me.
    Atticus Finch: “You never really understand a person . . . until you consider things from his point of view.” To Kill A Mockingbird

All my posts are my opinion only.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettScarpetta View Post
    If that is true, Then something is up.. But I am leaning towards the baby being down for a nap around that time and maybe the same treatment used as was used the night before. That sounds practical to me.
    Perhaps is bad reporting.

Poor baby girl.

Just striving to be average.

I have trouble imagining the stupidity of putting a toddler to bed with a plastic bag under any circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I have trouble imagining the stupidity of putting a toddler to bed with a plastic bag under any circumstances.
    Me too the poor little soul. I'm sure the child did not need the bag on her head overnight and should never have been left unattended with it on. I hope this tragedy is a lesson for other parents on what not to do when trying this technique.
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them. Lois McMaster Bujold.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast