1202 users online (234 members and 968 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

WY - Chevelle Boshaw-Evans, 4, Johnson County, 8 Feb 2015

http://www.bighornmountainradio.com/...River/20888679

At approximately 6:30pm on February 8th, Johnson County Search and Rescue, Johnson County Fire District #1 responded to a call at the Powder River Rest Area to a report of a 4-year-old female who had gone through the ice. A Johnson County Sheriff's Deputy and Troopers with the Wyoming Highway Patrol were on scene. At this time it appears that the victim and her father were crossing the Powder River on foot when they fell through the ice. Additional Search and Rescue personnel from Campbell County, Sheridan County and Washakie County responded to the scene. Search and Rescue personnel searched along the river and personnel with ice rescue suits searched in the river until approximately midnight when the search was suspended until daylight. The father was transported by ambulance to the Johnson County Health Care Center and treated for hypothermia.

It's been 15 hours since she fell through the ice, I realize there is not really a chance she is alive, but this is a recovery search.

Is there a way to figure out how fast the water flows and where her body would be by now?

It's been warm here so there has been a lot of melting. The ice on the creeks was probably 18 inches or so thick until the melting started. I'm surprised they even found enough ice going clear across the river to attempt to cross it, there hasn't been a solid chunk of ice across our tiny creek in probably 3 or more weeks.

The details include that the family lives on property nearby where the incident happened. The father appears to have been carrying the girl when they fell in. The water at the site ranges from inches to around six feet in places. Rescue workers are up to their necks looking for the girl.

http://www.bighornmountainradio.com/pages/20888679.php

Why was he carrying her on the ice?
    Where were they headed?
    Very strange story!
    JMO

Information also indicates a solid sheet of ice was over the area in which the two fell in

They are using chainsaws to cut thru this ice!
    something seems off here.
    JMO
    where is MOm?

It may be bad reporting, but they make it sound like the river froze back over where they went in....the weather has been relatively mild, I cannot believe that with a current that the river refroze that quickly...If not for bad reporting....something be hinky ....IMHO

JMO I think there was a large slab of ice in the area and they may have tempted to cross there. But I really can't imagine anyone thinking the ice was thick or solid enough to walk on. The other major creek here is Clear Creek and it hasn't been solid in at least 3 weeks. Sure there are still areas where there is a good bit of ice, there are places where it is 18 inches thick, but mostly on the edges. It is also very cool & dark by 6:30pm so maybe the ice looked more solid. Right now it is 53*, it was 61* at 3:00pm today. But it's extremely chilly when it's not cloudy, not to mention the wind makes it feel very cool. It is dropping below or close to freezing every night.

I think they are using the chainsaw to break through the larger chunks of ice. I'm not sure how far down stream they are searching or if most of the searching is taking place right where she went in.

The mom is at the hospital with the dad, he's in ICU. <--consider this a rumor since MSM hasn't released this yet.

Officials have not released the names of the father and daughter, but Kozisek says they are residents of a hotel at the rest stop.

http://www.kulr8.com/story/28064757/...astern-wyoming

They are done searching for the night, they'll resume at 8am tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by iamnotagolem View Post
    They are done searching for the night, they'll resume at 8am tomorrow.
    You can't be "done" searching when it's a 4 yr old child in the ice

Why were they even crossing the darned river if it was dark or dusk? Do they live on the other side of the river and were taking a short cut home perhaps? Cannot think of a reason to be carrying my child to the other side of a river at dusk/dark...IMHO
    I hope the father recovers...my thoughts are with the family, poor Mom must be devastated and dad if conscious will need counseling I am sure...so very sad...

I saw people on ice on the Mississippi yesterday. Half of the river was clear and flowing freely.

People can and will do stupid things, even some with experience. They become cocky.

The father will probably feel guilty for the remainder of his life, and the poor mom ... can't even imagine what dark place she is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ontario Mom View Post
    You can't be "done" searching when it's a 4 yr old child in the ice
    They can and they should. You couldn't pay me enough to do what they are doing, they deserve a break. They also deserve to be safe, and at night temperatures drop even further, and the danger increases due to dark and fatigue. No one else should die in a recovery mission, imo.

It would be reassuring to know the last time the staff at the hotel saw the child. Just so we know she was alive and that this wasn't an elaborate, stupid cover story. Excuse my cynicism, I've just seen too many of these "missing child" cases become parental homicides around here.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast