Australia Australia - Renee Aitken, 5, Narooma, NSW, 16 February 1984

PrimeSuspect

Reaction score
Inquest hears missing child probably murdered Posted 15 Aug 2003, 1:14pm

A coronial inquest into the disappearance of Renee Aitken from Narooma, in south-east NSW, has heard that the five-year-old was probably murdered 19 years ago.
After three days of evidence in Albury courthouse, the coroner returned an open finding yesterday afternoon.
However, he said on the balance of probability, Renee was dead and was probably murdered on or after February 16, 1984.
Earlier in the day, there was hardly a dry eye in the courtroom as Renee's mother Morna, and her brother Brad, gave evidence.
Brad was just eight years old when Renee was snatched by an intruder from the bedroom the children shared in their Narooma home.
On Tuesday, the coronial inquest was told police were convinced Brian James "Spider" Fitzpatrick kidnapped Renee, but the convicted sex offender died in a car accident last month - just weeks before the inquest was due to start.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2003-08-15/inquest-hears-missing-child-probably-murdered/1464914

Samantha Knight killer paedophile Michael Guider tells police he didn't snatch Renee Aitken

It was the new lead that the family of Renee Aitken had hoped might have finally given them some answers 30 years after she was snatched from her bed at the age of five.
The new information came from a man who became a jailmate of paedophile Michael Guider, and whose evidence of a prison-cell confession helped convict him of the killing of nine-year-old Samantha Knight from Bondi. Neither child's body has been found.
Last year the man, who lives in Holland, and can only be named as "Witness O", walked into a police station in Amsterdam, telling detectives that Guider repeatedly sketched a child he called "Renee" who he later realised strongly resembled Renee Aitken, taken from her bed in Narooma, NSW, in 1984.
But Detective Chief Inspector John Lehmann of the NSW Police Unsolved Homicide Team told Fairfax Media that Guider had been interviewed over the allegations at Silverwater Prison .
"We put it to him directly that he had abducted and murdered Renee Aitken but he categorically denied it," he said.
In 2003, detectives subpoenaed Brian James Fitzpatrick, known as "Spider", previously jailed for indecent assault, to appear before Renee Aitken's inquest but he died in a car crash weeks before the hearing. Police said the death was suicide but his partner denied he was suicidal.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/samantha-...idnt-snatch-renee-aitken-20150117-12s1oo.html

1421489720098.jpg

Renee Aitken's family tells of the agony of not knowing her fate

The family of Renee Aitken, who disappeared aged five after she was snatched from her bed almost 30 years ago, has broken the silence of a decade.
Renee was taken from the family home in Narooma in February 1984 as her brother Brad, aged eight, slept in the same room. Now married, he said he had a five-year-old daughter he named Renee Joy Aitken in memory of his sister.
Mr Aitken said his memory of his sister's disappearance was ''extremely vivid''.
''It was about 3am. I was cold, I was in shortie pyjamas and the blankets had been pulled neatly down to my knees, like they had been folded back by, we assume, the person who took Renee.
''I am taller than Renee, so by the time the blanket has got down to my knee, I am assuming they have realised: 'That child's too big, that's not Renee' because they would have been doing it in almost darkness.
''I walked across the room in complete darkness, got to Renee's bed, put my hand on the bed, couldn't feel her … The bed never seemed to end then all of a sudden I hit the wall. I turned the bathroom light on and came back into our room, looked at her bed and there was nothing there. She wasn't there. And then I looked over at my bed. She wasn't anywhere in the room.''
He searched the house, including the fridge, and saw that the back door was wide open. He then ran to his mother and her partner's room to wake them.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/renee-ait...y-of-not-knowing-her-fate-20140208-328ka.html

How devastating for mum and brother! I hope someone comes forward to help solve this case. Morna, Renee's mum is in frail health and wants this to end before she dies. :(

This perp must have watched this family and peered in windows to find the children's bedroom, he was certainly very game to abduct Renee while her brother slept nearby.
Was it Brian 'Spider' Fitzpatrick or Michael Guider or someone else?
I agree with the family member of the Aitken's who doubts Guider's denial as he hasn't revealed where he disposed of Samantha's body, so he's not likely to own up to another child's death.

Naming your daughter after your sister who was abducted, and probably sexually assaulted and murdered... that's a heavy burden for the daughter to carry through her life. I had a half-sister who died of a brain tumor very young, but i would not name a child after her.

Naming your daughter after your sister who was abducted, and probably sexually assaulted and murdered... that's a heavy burden for the daughter to carry through her life. I had a half-sister who died of a brain tumor very young, but i would not name a child after her.

I thought that too, maybe as a middle name would be less burdensome but I'll not judge, mother and son have their reasons. My middle name is my sister's name who died in infancy from illness before I was born, and my first born daughter has my deceased mother's name as a middle name. :)

Samantha Knight killer paedophile Michael Guider tells police he didn't snatch Renee Aitken

It was the new lead that the family of Renee Aitken had hoped might have finally given them some answers 30 years after she was snatched from her bed at the age of five.
The new information came from a man who became a jailmate of paedophile Michael Guider, and whose evidence of a prison-cell confession helped convict him of the killing of nine-year-old Samantha Knight from Bondi. Neither child's body has been found.
Last year the man, who lives in Holland, and can only be named as "Witness O", walked into a police station in Amsterdam, telling detectives that Guider repeatedly sketched a child he called "Renee" who he later realised strongly resembled Renee Aitken, taken from her bed in Narooma, NSW, in 1984.
But Detective Chief Inspector John Lehmann of the NSW Police Unsolved Homicide Team told Fairfax Media that Guider had been interviewed over the allegations at Silverwater Prison .
"We put it to him directly that he had abducted and murdered Renee Aitken but he categorically denied it," he said.
In 2003, detectives subpoenaed Brian James Fitzpatrick, known as "Spider", previously jailed for indecent assault, to appear before Renee Aitken's inquest but he died in a car crash weeks before the hearing. Police said the death was suicide but his partner denied he was suicidal.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/samantha-...idnt-snatch-renee-aitken-20150117-12s1oo.html

1421489720098.jpg

She was a beautiful little girl that's for sure.
No doubt life has been hell for this family ever since the day she was taken. Sympathies to them.
A crim named "Spider" is uncomfortable to think about (and I'm not scared of spiders)

thinking of this precious little blonde angel.... i hope she can be laid to rest someday.

Another five (5) year old child. Gone. This time from the sanctuary of her own bedroom. And here we are, 35 years later, with no definitive answers. Nothing conclusive. No resolution on her fate. Sigh.

How do you just 'bump' such a tragic story? IMO we need to end the evil that pervades our society.

Renee AITKEN

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back