AL AL - Jason Sims, 15, autistic, Fairfield, 13 Feb 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Fairfield PD, DHR looking for missing teen believed to be autistic
Fairfield police and the Department of Human Resources are working together to try to find a missing 15-year-old boy who is believed to be autistic, Fairfield's police chief said Friday.

Chief Leon Davis says they are trying to locate Jason Sims Jr., who is described as approximately 5'6”, 125 pounds with a light complexion. Police do not have any available photographs of the missing teen.

In the early stages of this investigation, authorities suspected Jason Sims Sr. and Natasha Wright of child neglect involving two children.

But after further visits, Chief Davis says they learned of two more children who had never been enrolled in school. The police chief says they also have not been able to find any medical records for the two other children.

“Based on conditions, four arrest warrants were issued for both Natasha Wright and Jason Sims, Jr. charging them with aiding to the dependency of minors,” Chief Davis said in a release issued Friday afternoon.

Police tried to arrest Sims and Wright at their home in the 100 block of 59th Street in October 2014, but the family had moved.

Chief Davis said on Jan. 23, Natasha Wright was found unconscious at the Fairfield home. On Jan. 26, authorities found three of the children staying with a relative in Mulga, but the 15-year-old boy wasn't there.
http://www.myfoxal.com/story/281051...king-for-missing-teen-believed-to-be-autistic
6718611_G.jpg

Fairfield police and and firefighters searched a home on 59th Street for missing teen Jason Sims Jr. Source: FOX6 viewer
6718615_G.jpg

Fairfield Fire Department's Hazmat Unit also responded due to concerns about contagions in the home. Source: FOX6 viewer

"Jason Sims Sr. is in custody, but has refused to give investigators any information about Jason Sims Jr.'s whereabouts, Davis said. Wright, who is still in the hospital with viral meningitis, briefly regained consciousness and told investigators she last saw the 15-year-old boy at the home on 59th Street."

:( Not good at all.

Thank you, los2188, for bringing this sad, strange story to our attention.

Fairfield police chief, neighbors call search for missing teen "extremely confusing"
FAIRFIELD - AL - Fairfield police are searching for a missing boy with autism, but this is not an ordinary case. He, along with another sibling, have no medical records and no school records, and now their parents are facing child neglect charges. Chief Leon Davis says he's never seen anything like this. The primary concern right now is this missing boy -- Jason Sims Jr.. They're interviewing family and friends hoping to find some clues, but even their neighbors told us, they had no idea this child even existed.

"This is the first time I've run across anything like this," Davis said. "This is the first time." Sims has been missing since January 23. His parents are charged with child neglect. But here's where the story takes a strange turn: no one, not even neighbors, knew about this child.

"We're talking about a 15-year-old who we believe hasn't had any contact with the outside world besides his parents," Davis said.

There are four children belonging to Jason Sims, Sr. and Natasha Wright. Two of them, including the 15-year-old, don't even seem to exist.

"We found no school records, no medical records, we have no photographs," Davis said.
http://www.abc3340.com/story/281083...e-search-for-missing-teen-extremely-confusing
6723217_G.jpg

All I can say is....wow.

Okay hold on a minute here. If there are no medical records, and no one even knew he existed, how do we even know he's autistic? How do we even know he's alive? How do we know he's been missing since January 23rd if no one even knows who/where he is and no one's ever seen him?

This makes NO sense.

"On January 23, Wright was found unconscious at the home. Three days later, three of the children were found with relatives in Mulga and placed in DHR's custody. Wright, who remains in the hospital, briefly regained consciousness and asked authorities about her teen son. She said the last time she was him, he was at their home. She was not able to say when she last saw him. Lawmen late this morning carried out a search warrant at the Fairfield home in search of the teen and any information that could lead them to him. Because of the mother's illness - which Davis said he couldn't discuss because of medical privacy laws - Birmingham Fire and Rescue's Hazmat Unit assisted Fairfield police and fire in the operation. The teen was not at the home. Sims Sr. was taken into custody this week, Davis said. He has refused to provide any information on the whereabouts of his son. Some relatives, the chief said, didn't know the teen existed either. "It's odd,'' Davis said.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/02/autistic_fairfield_teen_disapp.html

While this article is in dire need of a proof-reading, I'm starting to wonder if this boy even exists. No photographs, no school records, no medical records. I'm sure LE has interviewed the other children? Some of their relatives didn't even know he existed?? Something is WAY hinky with this story.

I wonder if the mom is having side effects that are making her think she has a child that really doesn't exist, or a child that she had given up? Maybe? This is very strange.

I don't even know what to say at this point. *marking my spot*

What do the other 3 children say about the teen? They would surely know when he was last seen.

I wonder if the mom is having side effects that are making her think she has a child that really doesn't exist, or a child that she had given up? Maybe? This is very strange.

Earlier reports say she was passed out in the front yard when found, and is suffering from viral meningitis. According to the CDC:

Common symptoms in adults

Fever
Headache
Stiff neck
Sensitivity to bright light
Sleepiness or trouble waking up from sleep
Nausea
Vomiting
Lack of appetite
Lethargy (a lack of energy)
Most people with viral meningitis usually get better on their own within 7 to 10 days.

Initial symptoms of viral meningitis are similar to those for bacterial meningitis. However, bacterial meningitis is usually severe and can cause serious complications, such as brain damage, hearing loss, or learning disabilities. It is very important to see a healthcare provider right away if you think you or your child might have meningitis; a doctor can determine if you have the disease, the type of meningitis, and the best treatment.

http://www.cdc.gov/meningitis/viral.html

So, unless something else is going on here, I don't think it's the illness.

What do the other 3 children say about the teen? They would surely know when he was last seen.

Exactly. Do they know him? Does he live with them? When did they last see him? Keeping in mind the neighbors never saw the 9 year old either and he also has no school or medical records and he does in fact exist. Although family members are not saying they didn't know HE existed, they're only saying that about the 15 yr old.

The fact that "dad" is not talking speaks volumes. If he had nothing to hide, why withhold information about where this boy is?

This is one really strange story. If the two younger kids went to school, didn't they ever mention their older siblings or the condition or their home? Did they go to school clean with a filthy house and no working toilets, etc. What did the parents do all day every day? How could they even live like that? It's hard to understand.

I know there are cases where there are many children and only 1 of them is singled out for abuse or neglect but this just goes way beyond that. I want to know who told LE this boy is autistic and how they know that if there are no medical records. I want to know what the younger kids say about the 15 yr old. I want to hear from the teachers (how old are these younger boys? Are they both boys?) at the school these kids went to.

SOMEONE knows something, besides the dad in custody who isn't talking. How the heck is anyone supposed to help find a boy that essentially doesn't exist? :(

Okay I was so focused on this missing boy I missed these details:

"During that initial probe, Davis said, police were aware of two children - ages 10 and 12 - living in the home with the parents - Natasha Wright and Jason Sims Sr. They had no idea the 15-year-old existed, or another child who is 9 years old, until the investigation progressed. "The latter two had never been enrolled in school nor have any medical records been located,'' the police chief said."

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/02/autistic_fairfield_teen_disapp.html

Clearly these children are plenty old enough to tell LE why their younger and older sibling were essentially off the grid?

AND if it weren't confusing enough...

"They were some nice people," said Mary Louise Hill, one of the family's neighbors. Their 59th Street home is now boarded up with a couple mangled toys left in the yard. Neighbors say they thought the couple only had two small children. "I don't think I've seen him - I don't think," Hill said. "I haven't seen anyone but the two small kids he takes up there to school and sometimes go up there and walk them back home." "It's extremely hard," Davis said. "This case is extremely confusing."

http://www.abc3340.com/story/281083...e-search-for-missing-teen-extremely-confusing

Um... since when are 10 and 12 year old kids, considered "two small children" ??? I mean, maybe they're really short or just have a really small stature? I'd call kids in the 6 and under age range "small children" but certainly not a 10 and a 12 year old.

How did LE hear about these two children?

No matter the education level, or lack of, people seem to know that having a disabled child would likely qualify the family for government assistance. Why did the Sims not claim two of their children? Did the other two kids get free school lunches or what other benefits were the family getting? No food, no utilities, did Mr or Mrs have jobs? How long had they lived at that address? .......... Hinky-meters are pushed to the red zone limits.

This whole case is extremely bizarre and confusing. What in the world was going on in that house?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back