741 users online (87 members and 654 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
    I found two very recent and interesting comments left by one of the homicide investigators, William Howell, on one of the posts on Michael's facebook page.

Having been involved in the investigation itself I can tell you that for the most past the Detective from UCLA that initially handled the case did a very through job. The LASO was brought into the case for fresh eyes as sometimes a look as a case from others sometimes helps and generates new ideas but for the most part it was a through investigation from the start. The detective however could have had better help from her own people. The UCLA Administration failed to follow through or I should say refused to, with request made by LASO Homicide Detectives that could had helped in the investigation. The FBI did get involved in the beginning but botched the case with Polygraph Interviews of friends and schoolmates and later corrupted the hard drive on Michael's Computer. LASO was unable to reconstruct the data as it was lost. There was also much more that occurred with the FBI but that is a whole new story. I will also say that at the time very little help was received by the students in the dorm and from those that lived on the same floor as Michael. And unless everyone that was talked to LIED, which I'm sure many did, there was no evidence that Michael was addicted too drugs. In fact as far as investigators could tell, Michael only used ecstasy once and that was never confirmed. So bottom line if your readers or backseat investigators only have speculation then they should keep it to themselves. If they have hard evidence then call LASO or Michaels mother.
    I don't know what your background was or is but it is always easy to Monday morning quarterback something especially I'd you know nothing about what went on. Not taking this personally but I can tell you that the lead detective for UCLA went far beyond what most would have done. Yes there were screw ups from the beginning, but the biggest failure where Michaels friends who knew things whether relevant or not and said nothing to cover their own narrow Littles asses. Many of the others screw ups were come and in the end showed no connection to Michaels disappearance. Bottomline is that in the early morning hours Michael walked out of the dorm by himself wearing only a SS Shirt, Shorts and Shower Slippers and was never seen again and it was 28 degrees.
    So it seems to me like the administration at UCLA weren't cooperating with LE in regards to Michael's case. There were apparently also a lot of parking lot assaults at UCLA around the same time Mike went missing that were covered up in order to make the campus seem safer than what it really was. Seeing as the profiler advised investigators that they had more than likely already interviewed somebody who knew what happened and that investigators have expressed that his friends weren't very forthcoming in the investigation, I think they need to interview these people again. The case should be handed over to a Cold Case Unit that can look over the information in Michael's case and re-interview former students. That's the only way I could ever see this case being fully solved except for his body being found, which is what I think they're hoping to happen. But it's been nearly 18 years and the chances of finding him withers away as more time passes.
    Last edited by avecesaria; 07-24-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by avecesaria View Post
    I found two very recent and interesting comments left by one of the homicide investigators, William Howell, on one of the posts on Michael's facebook page.

So it seems to me like the administration at UCLA weren't cooperating with LE in regards to Michael's case. There were apparently also a lot of parking lot assaults at UCLA around the same time Mike went missing that were covered up in order to make the campus seem safer than what it really was. Seeing as the profiler advised investigators that they had more than likely already interviewed somebody who knew what happened and that investigators have expressed that his friends weren't very forthcoming in the investigation, I think they need to interview these people again. The case should be handed over to a Cold Case Unit that can look over the information in Michael's case and re-interview former students. That's the only way I could ever see this case being fully solved except for his body being found, which is what I think they're hoping to happen. But it's been nearly 18 years and the chances of finding him withers away as more time passes.
    Welcome to Ws avecesaria, thanks for the very enlightening post!

It's not really uncommon for gamers to stay awake all night playing games these days. I don't remember if it was or not as much in 99. For drugs, not many people are going to go on a drug run without shoes at 4am lol.. Most wont at 4am anyway, less people = less people for the cops to look at and a greater chance that they will look at you. Now I suppose if he owed a debt and got word someone was on their way to see him he could take off quick without anything.

It's been a lot of years since I went over this one but at the time it seems like the theory was that he might have had bad luck and ran into some construction in the area then unknowingly covered with concrete the next day.

I feel like there's this weird consensus that Michael was buried under concrete or just walked away. I mean, those theories are absolutely valid and possible, but it feels like no one here and on other discussion posts has picked up on the fact that his disappearance is being investigated as a homicide. All cases like Brian Shaffer, Jason Jalkowski, Jennifer Kesse and other people that have disappeared under similar circumstances are still being investigated as disappearances. Why is Michael's being investigated as a homicide? Usually, when LE refiles cases from disappearance to homicide, it means that they have information that they haven't made public yet due to the ongoing investigation. I just wonder what that information could be...
    Last edited by avecesaria; 10-03-2017 at 06:24 PM.

rbbm
    April 3 2003
    http://dailybruin.com/2003/04/03/mar...tinues-search/
    Another method used to increase public awareness is the Web
    site, http://findmikenow.com. The site contains information about
    Michael, including his physical characteristics and information
    regarding the night he disappeared.

Also featured on the Web site is a police composite released in
    June 2000. Mary asks students to take a look at the police sketch
    and to be on the lookout.

“I want students to look at that picture and keep their
    eyes open,”¯ Mary said. “I still believe that there has
    to be somebody close by, maybe somebody on campus, who could know
    what happened.”¯

With time passing, Mary said the investigation has slowed down
    quite a bit, and she feels she won’t get the outcome she
    originally hoped for.

“We have two other children, and we want their lives to be
    as normal as possible,”¯ Mary said.

Los Angeles Sheriff’s Detectives Bill Howell and Joe
    Purcell have worked on the investigation since it changed from a
    missing persons case to a homicide case.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/317806...7705&__tn__=*s

This has nothing to do with Michael's disappearance, just noting what may have been an uncomfortable cadaver scandal at the university in 1999.
    It may or may not have affected students willingness to talk to LE.
    speculation, imo.
    http://www.newsweek.com/inside-uclas...-scandal-95785

I feel like there's this weird consensus that Michael was buried under concrete or just walked away. I mean, those theories are absolutely valid and possible, but it feels like no one here and on other discussion posts has picked up on the fact that his disappearance is being investigated as a homicide. All cases like Brian Shaffer, Jason Jalkowski, Jennifer Kesse and other people that have disappeared under similar circumstances are still being investigated as disappearances. Why is Michael's being investigated as a homicide? Usually, when LE refiles cases from disappearance to homicide, it means that they have information that they haven't made public yet due to the ongoing investigation. I just wonder what that information could be...
    This thread is the first place I've heard that his case is being investigated as a homicide. I can't find the Facebook page where this was supposedly posted by a cop.

And he's not buried under concrete. That's silly. Construction workers don't just dump out concrete without looking where they're putting it.

Quote Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
    This thread is the first place I've heard that his case is being investigated as a homicide. I can't find the Facebook page where this was supposedly posted by a cop.

And he's not buried under concrete. That's silly. Construction workers don't just dump out concrete without looking where they're putting it.
    On this site it states that the case is being investigated as a possible homicide, perhaps, imo, because a " witness " was seen and apparently still unaccounted for.
    speculation.
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...e_michael.html

Dec 10 1999
    http://dailybruin.com/2003/04/03/mar...tinues-search/
    rbbm.
    Another method used to increase public awareness is the Web
    site, http://findmikenow.com. The site contains information about
    Michael, including his physical characteristics and information
    regarding the night he disappeared.

Also featured on the Web site is a police composite released in
    June 2000. Mary asks students to take a look at the police sketch
    and to be on the lookout.

“I want students to look at that picture and keep their
    eyes open,”¯ Mary said. “I still believe that there has
    to be somebody close by, maybe somebody on campus, who could know
    what happened.”¯

With time passing, Mary said the investigation has slowed down
    quite a bit, and she feels she won’t get the outcome she
    originally hoped for.

“We have two other children, and we want their lives to be
    as normal as possible,”¯ Mary said.

Los Angeles Sheriff’s Detectives Bill Howell and Joe
    Purcell have worked on the investigation since it changed from a
    missing persons case to a homicide case.

Detectives have received 500 leads since the beginning of the
    case, and none have uncovered any significant information.

“We’re baffled,”¯ Howell said. “With 60
    years between my partner and I, we’ve never seen anything
    like this
    .”¯
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dotr; 10-20-2017 at 02:18 PM.

What if he fell in the rubble and was unknowingly disposed off. It's also possible that he fell in some kind of pit where he couldn't be seen. The body of Steve Cook, for example, was found in the bottom of a well 11 years after he disappeared. They had enclosed the well with a concrete structure and nobody realized during the construction that he was there. Ben Needham comes to mind as well. The official theory is that he got killed by a construction vehicle and accidentally buried among the rubble.

My brother went to the same high school as one of Michael's brothers, Dave. From what I have gathered, his case turned very quickly from a disappearance case to a homicide case. LE has seemed very sure that something bad happened to Michael ever since. Michael's crowd wasn't exactly... ideal, to say the least. My personal belief and gut feeling has always been that something went wrong that night between Michael and his friends. That's just my two cents though. There are just things that can't be said right now.

LE has seemed very sure that something bad happened to Michael ever since. Michael's crowd wasn't exactly... ideal, to say the least. My personal belief and gut feeling has always been that something went wrong that night between Michael and his friends.
    Is there any particular reason to believe that his friends weren't ideal? Plenty of people end up in bad crowds but these crowds aren't usually full of criminals, just unpleasant people.

One of the detectives mentioned that his friends weren't truthful about some things. I just wonder if these lies were related to the case. As far as I understand, LE can be very inquisitive about certain details and some of these details might be too personal to talk about them, even if they have nothing to do with the investigation. If I saw Michael walking out of the building while I was also outside getting high with some friends, I wouldn't want the police to know the whole truth.

Quote Originally Posted by BettaFranka View Post
    Is there any particular reason to believe that his friends weren't ideal? Plenty of people end up in bad crowds but these crowds aren't usually full of criminals, just unpleasant people
    Yes, there is. I don't wanna start some kind of witch hunt or compromise the case for LE, it's not my intention. I have mutual friends with these people. They're definitely not the type of people a parent would want their child to hang out with and I don't mean that in a light way. I'm not talking about all of his friends, only a small portion. I just think Mike deserved better.
    Last edited by avecesaria; 11-10-2017 at 03:25 PM.

2001 article. BBM.

"The hardest thing is telling the parents," said Purcell, a homicide detective for nearly a decade. "Telling them there's still nothing new. Telling them, 'Hey, we think he's not alive. That's why two homicide guys have the case.' " Negrete's parents, Miguel and Mary Negrete, who live near San Diego, go about their lives in quiet despair.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2001/apr/16/local/me-51723

Thanks! Do you think that Mike may have bullied/harassed? I'd understand if that would be too much information or if you'd feel uncomfortable answering. It's just that there have been other cases of missing people being harassed or bullied before their disappearance.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13