1550 users online (239 members and 1311 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mistagee View Post
    No one speaks bout the possibility of drug or alcohol use. Is that possible? Perhaps a drunken disappearance and falling in an unsafe area, and then a cover up by the University?
    It's possible, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence to support it. One thing that was suspicious was they mentioned him drinking "margaritas." I like a good margarita, but 1) college students don't go out of their way to make mixed drinks, and 2) guys at that age are immature...they wouldn't drink those. I know that because I am always teased for liking mixed drinks .

His dormmates would have said something if there had been drug use or heavy alcohol use, I'd certainly hope. Everyone knows college students drink, and some use drugs, and when a student is missing, nobody is going to hide something that trivial I'd hope.

I've changed my opinion over the past several months after seeing pictures of the dorm (under heavy construction in 1999) at the library. I think this might have been a Wade Steffey type case. This is what I think may have happened:

1) Mike leaves the dorm for some reason. He wasn't expecting to be gone long and didn't take anything with him.
    2) He realizes he forgot his key.
    3) He goes somewhere he shouldn't have been to try to gain access to the building, hopping a fence etc.
    4) He is fatally injured.
    5) Either the construction crew had no idea a body was there and they buried him inadvertently, they covered it up, or the University covered it up.
    6) Botched investigation didn't consider, or want to consider, this possibility. Huge liability.

<modsnip>

I hope I am wrong, but I also hope there isn't a creep still on the loose.
    Last edited by Cubby; 01-14-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: remove discussion regarding psychic

Does anyone know what Micheal's major at UCLA was? I found a guy with the same name, who looks very similar to him, but it states that he went to MIT. I do not want to put the link up for this guy yet, but the resemblance is freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by Julessleuther View Post
    Does anyone know what Micheal's major at UCLA was? I found a guy with the same name, who looks very similar to him, but it states that he went to MIT. I do not want to put the link up for this guy yet, but the resemblance is freaky.
    Pretty sure undeclared as he was a Freshman. If he had a major, it would have been Music I'm sure.

A couple of strange things.

First, there was a comment in Mike's Facebook group that freaked me out as I mentioned earlier. It said "Well, what can I say? We both have the same name. And I know he is somewhere out there. I'm sure. " The fellow's name was Mike Negrete, little resemblance, but the fellow has a very hairy face. This guy seems to be in a Spanish speaking country.

Interestingly, since posting that comment, that fellow changed his last name on Facebook...

There are some other comments that seem different compared to other missing persons pages such as Maura Murray's etc.

"See you soon, Mike."

"Come home Mike...we all miss you"

"i never forgot about mike... i hope everything is cool with him."

"... so truly upsetting that there is still no word on his whereabouts. We miss you"

"...I like to think he has amnesia and is hustling cards in Vegas."

All of these posts seem to suggest that people think he left voluntarily (I don't believe so). To me, the optimism seems to stretch farther than "keeping hope." Anyone seen this before?

I don't think Mike was up to anything criminal or even in a chimney, but this is more or less the kind of thing that happened to him, I think. It's the only scenario that makes sense, for someone leaving with no shoes, no keys, no wallet at 4 am after playing video games with a buddy all night.
    --
    The remains of Joseph Schexnider, missing for 27 years, were finally discovered lodged in a brick chimney at the Abbeville National Bank in Louisiana.

The bones were found in May when the bank was renovating the second floor, which had long been used for storage, to make more office space.

The identity of the body was confirmed this week through DNA.

"This was absolutely the first chimney recovery we had ever had," said Mary Manhein, head of FACES, the lab at Louisiana State University that identified Schexnider's bones.

There weren't any dental records available so the lab relied on DNA evidence after police obtained a reference sample from Schexnider's family, who live in the area.

"I would submit he died within a few days maximum of when he went into that chimney," said Manhein.

But as to how he died, or why he was in the chimney to begin with, Manhein says, "Nobody will ever know."

Police discovered a pair of gloves among the remains, but can only speculate as to the significance.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/skeleton-fo...ry?id=14169501

It sounds like he climbed to the roof, dropped into the chimney and got struck in the flue. Maybe he intended to commit a robbery. He left without shoes and no coat, maybe thinking it would be easier to get down the chimney. He was due in court the next day for possession of a stolen vehicle and maybe he needed money.

It is so sad for his family. At least now they can bury their son and not keep wondering if he is alive or not.

RIP Michael
    A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012 for Fred Howard Coffey.

Coffey was convicted of the murder of 10 yr old Amanda Marie Ray, NC. He admitted to molesting 300 children.

Please write a letter on behalf of Amanda.

Suspect in the murders of:
    5 yr old Neely Smith, NC
    14 yr old Kathy Lynn Beatty, MD
    8 yr old Travis Shane King, VA

Possibly connected to the disappearances of:
    14 Yr old Tracy Anne King, PA
    11 yr old Sheila and 13 yr old Katherine Lyons, MD
    15 yr old Carolyn Majane, NJ

Write to:
    Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
    NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
    P.O. Box 29540
    Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
    RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135
    or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us
    http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KurtieB View Post
    I don't think Mike was up to anything criminal or even in a chimney, but this is more or less the kind of thing that happened to him, I think. It's the only scenario that makes sense, for someone leaving with no shoes, no keys, no wallet at 4 am after playing video games with a buddy all night.
    I agree. I can't remember if I posted this in this thread, or on another forum. Dykstra Hall was a construction zone. It is possible that he tried to get back into the building through a side door etc. and became incapacitated in the process. Students from 1999 commented that the construction area around Dykstra was very dark and unsafe at night. I believe that his body was covered during the next construction day, either accidentally, or intentionally (but that would require a major coverup by the university and construction firm).

I am really surprised at the lack of media exposure and details about this case...I think if instead it had been a white girl missing from her dorm at UCLA this case would already be solved.....

I wonder if the LA times or another newspaper would be willing/interested in running a story about this case again...I really think it needs a lift...it has gone incredibly cold.

Re: media exposure

You have to remember, this is/was a campus with about 30,000 people in a large city of millions. Crimes happened there all the time (I attended UCLA around these years) that were never given more than a few sentence blurb buried in the back of the LA Times. Since moving to a smaller city I was surprised to see that EVERY murder and mysterious disappearance gets a write up- not just a side note.

At the same time, there were other crimes going on in and around the UCLA campus. The infamous panty snatcher- a man would break into women's apartments and steal their underclothes. He got braver and actually waited in the room for them to come home...not sure if he was ever caught. There were a couple rapes/attacks in the parking structures and dark passageways between buildings. There were a couple more kids that disappeared (i believe they were found months later and they had voluntarily disappeared because of the stress). Very little press about any of these things IF AT ALL from media outside The Daily Bruin.

Anyway, the amount of stress these students go through esp. peaking right around the time of this man's disappearance should not be underestimated.

Besides the construction around his dorm, there were MANY other construction sites around campus. Construction there was neverending. I think IIRC that there was also a building by the library that was completely closed down for remodeling. So, as mentioned above, an accident is a possibility.

Southside of Chicago...it's the baddest part of town
    Bumping for Michael...

Quote Originally Posted by deca View Post
    Besides the construction around his dorm, there were MANY other construction sites around campus. Construction there was neverending. I think IIRC that there was also a building by the library that was completely closed down for remodeling. So, as mentioned above, an accident is a possibility.
    Everything was, and is still under construction. Was anything else besides DeNeve/Dykstra under construction nearby? Considering he left with only slip on shoes (whatever they are called), it seemed like he must have been heading somewhere nearby, like another dorm or somewhere else on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by UCLAEigenguy View Post
    Everything was, and is still under construction. Was anything else besides DeNeve/Dykstra under construction nearby? Considering he left with only slip on shoes (whatever they are called), it seemed like he must have been heading somewhere nearby, like another dorm or somewhere else on campus.

The building directly next to the library ( it is listed as humanities in the current map but I think there is a name associated with it) was under major remodel around that time.

I also remember something about a parking structure remodel...
    It is hard for me to remember exactly what buildings after all these years.

"2000 Gov. Gray Davis announces the creation of the California NanoSystems Institute, a partnership of UCLA and UC Santa Barbara, and one of three California Institutes for Science and Innovation.
    After three years of construction, UCLA Housing opens the doors to DeNeve Plaza, its newest addition to the northwest campus student housing community."
    Above from http://alumni.ucla.edu/share/ucla-history/timeline.aspx

This says that DeNeve was being built from 1997-2000 so that was also under construction.

I can't find the article now, but an LA Times article from 2001 spoke about the case and they said that they searched construction sites.

Michael William Negrete websites

I need to know, is there any website that the 'experts' of the case post on? Please tell me. If there is, then there is a chance that he is still alive.

Thank you and God Bless.

I'm sorry, not sure what you mean...
    if you have info you should contact the authorities: ie LA sheriff dept or LAPD.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast