CANADA Canada - Toronto, WhtMale, 25-35, Motorcycle Accident Victim, May'88

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase330.html

"Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on May 12, 1988 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Estimated Date of Death:
Cause of Death: Result of a motorcycle accident.

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 25-35 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5' 7"-5' 8" (172-173 cm); 160-185 lbs. (72-83 kg)
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown collar length hair with mustache; Blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Appendix scar; dark mole on side of the left knee; rough calloused hands with oil or grease under finger nails;
Clothing: Blue jean jacket size 40; blue jean pants, size 36 waist 30 inseam; black t-shirt size X-large with Jack Daniels logo; black, bikini-style underwear size large; white, blue and green stripes sport socks; brown/tan leather western boots with heels worn down size 9 1/2 D.
Personal Effects : Gold triangular loop charm with a "Playboy Bunny" in the center.

Case History
This adult male died as a result of a motorcycle accident in Toronto, Ontario on May 12, 1988. The victim was passenger on a motorcycle that struck a pole.

Both the driver and passenger were killed as a result of the collision.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Ontario Provincial Police
Missing Persons and Unidentified Bodies/Remains Unit
1-877-934-6363 - Toll Free in North America
705-330-4144 - Local or outside of North America
Email
--
Crime Stoppers
1-800-222-TIPS (8477
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:

Source Information:
**Warning! Post-mortem photos contained in link below!
Ontario Provincial Police - Missing Persons and Unidentified Bodies/Remains Unidentified"

Thanks so much for starting the thread, dotr. :cheers:

I think we can rule Fuller out, as the UID was deceased as of May 1988, and Fuller was alive as of this date.

There is very little in the news about this UID case. I wish a forensic sketch had been done of this man, it would have been less gory and more dignified,
as well as capturing how he would have looked during his life.

The bike's owner/driver picked this man up from somewhere, so there should be some sort of link between the two, and a common location, group of people, etc.

D.

From the way this man dressed, to the grease under his fingers, he seemed to be a motorcycle enthusiast, at least that is my thinking.

I wonder where the driver met him? I am guessing it was a chance encounter. There is so little to go on in the media, it will be a tough go.

Canada's Missing and Unidentified site makes me tear my hair out. The information provided is so sketchy that it's hard to know anything about a case. You wonder how many missing people never get their name listed on the site.

Here's a little clip from the Toronto Sun, which might not have anything to do with this case... who knows.

"The wife of a member of the outlaw motorcycle club King’s Crew, missing since the ’80s, had courts declare him dead to put some finality to a mystery police have yet to solve."

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/03/gone-without-a-trace

Thanks so much for starting the thread, dotr. :cheers:

I think we can rule Fuller out, as the UID was deceased as of May 1988, and Fuller was alive as of this date.

There is very little in the news about this UID case. I wish a forensic sketch had been done of this man, it would have been less gory and more dignified,
as well as capturing how he would have looked during his life.

The bike's owner/driver picked this man up from somewhere, so there should be some sort of link between the two, and a common location, group of people, etc.

D.

Is there a way to find out who the driver was?

This case is really puzzling me. I don't see any mention of a motorcycle helmet, so given the injuries, I expect that the deceased was not wearing a helmet. Helmet regulations came into effect in the '60s, so rider w/o a helmet would surely have drawn attention. He can't have gone far ... or it was late at night. Ugh! So few details are provided!

Neither was he wearing typical motorcycle clothing, at least not according to contemporary fashion. Jeans and cowboy boots? Was that the outfit du jour in 1988? Seems to me riders wore leathers.

The brand of jeans worn by UID male, Great Western Garment Co, may have originated from the company in Edmonton, Alberta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Western_Garment_Co.

Slightly more info. given in this link, ie, brand name of jeans worn.

http://www.missingadults.ca/viewUAc...yEnd=defgolpxj&&StartAt=0&EndAt=31&CurCase=29

rbbm.

"Facial hair - moustache

Abdomen - appendectomy scar
Knee - dark mole on side of left knee
Hands - rough calloused hands with oil or grease under finger nails

Build - well nourished

Clothing/Jewelry :
Jacket - 'Levis' brand jean jacket, size 40
T-shirt - 'Jack Daniels' logo, black, size Extra Large

Pants - jeans, blue, 'Great Western Garment Company' brand, waist 36", inseam 30"
Underwear - bikini style, black, size Large

Footwear - tan, leather western style boots, 'Modella' brand, heels worn down, size 9 1/2D
Socks - white sport socks, blue and green stripes

Jewelry - gold triangular loop charm with a 'Playboy Bunny' in centre"

Repost. post mortem pic of deceased for quick access. WARNING GRAPHIC.

https://www.google.ca/search?newwin...ier.jsf%3Fcase%3D2006000599%26id%3D25;680;760

I agree, our missing persons/UID reports are woefully inadequate.

-I think that the man was dressed like a grungy/motorcyclist type in a vague way. He was not dressed for riding any great distance, though.

-Judging by what seems to be a devastating head wound, he was not wearing a helmet. No leg protection, sunglasses or visors, gloves or anything else, either.

-I searched the Toronto Star for the week of May 12, 1988, and found nothing. I'll check again, but I think that the one accident for that week was a rider killed in the west end of the city, but no mention of an unidentified passenger.

- This case is really weird, I'll grant you that. There is almost no information on where the accident happened, what time of day, the driver, or what became of efforts to identify this man subsequently, etc.

If anyone can do a search of old news reports, that would be great.

P.S.

Not to criticize the police or coroner too much, but the postmortem photo borders on disrespectful. I think that a drawing or bust would be more appropriate.

Cowboy boots are a bit of a "badass" style, or for someone trying to look tough, or rugged, IMHO. They could also be used for men trying to make themselves look taller than they are.

At 5'7" or 5'8", our UID might have been trying to push himself closer to the 6' mark.

I once checked the Toronto Star archives for a motorcycle accident on this day - there are none. There are one or two within a day or so either side of this date, but none on the date specified here and none with the specifics stated here. Wondering if the year or month is incorrect. If so, it will pose a problem for identification. Jmo.

It should be noted that the driver of this motorcycle was killed as well but identified - to the best of my recollection. Will try to find his name - have never checked the obit of the driver for any possible clue to this passenger.

Do you remember this case, Woodland, or have a particular interest in it?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drury Lane
Back