WI WI - Cynthia Allen, 17, Marinette, 11 June 1972

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score

Some of the articles say she was stabbed; one seems to say stabbing was the cause of death -- but maybe later that was questioned...?

...Authorities said she died of loss of blood suffered from a stab wound between the left shoulder and neck. ...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=snhQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZREEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7222,1372843

Your first link. You can delete if you want it does not pertain to this case. But wanted to say that
Stena L. Weber and Linda Frank may have been killed by the same person about a day apart.

Your first link. You can delete if you want it does not pertain to this case. But wanted to say that
Stena L. Weber and Linda Frank may have been killed by the same person about a day apart.
Cynthia Allen is on the second row, fourth photo from the left.

Here's an article about the Weber and Frank "garage murders". Definitely sounds like the same perp -- both strangled in garages within three miles of each other. One sounds like a public parking garage, the other was behind the victim's home.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=M_QVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pxEEAAAAIBAJ&dq=stena weber&pg=7301,25384

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=M_QVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pxEEAAAAIBAJ&dq=stena weber&pg=3733,39525

Some of the articles say she was stabbed; one seems to say stabbing was the cause of death -- but maybe later that was questioned...?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=snhQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZREEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7222,1372843
I noticed that, too, BW. But I went with the information on the Wisconsin unsolved homicide website. Think I'll change it in the opening post.

"...directing an investigation into the girl's stabbing death. Miron would not say how many times she was stabbed or where she was stabbed."
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Y3hQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uxEEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7262%2C986542

On Sunday, June 11, 1972, Cynthia Jane Allen, age 17, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Alvin H. Allen, 90 N. Raymond Street, Marinette, (Marinette County) WI was attending a dance at Marinette Catholic Central High School, 1200 Main St., now known as St. Thomas Aquinas Academy High School. Sometime during or after the dance, she left the dance, either alone or with others, walking west on Main St., assumably toward her home, 90 N. Raymond St. This would have been a 30 minute walk. (1.4 miles), according to Google Maps.

The newspapers reported that she was found Saturday, July 1, 1972 in a wooded area at the edge of a field in the Town of Grover, Marinette County, WI. The field in the Town of Grover is about four miles west of Peshtigo, WI and 7.7 miles west of Marinette, WI. The newspapers never mentioned the exact location where the body was found.

The coroner said that Cynthia Allen had only been dead for several days. That means she was held alive in an unknown location for about 17 days before she was killed. The papers never said whether she was killed where her body was found or elsewhere.

It was reported that she was stabbed an unreleased-to-the-press number of times or several times with the fatal stab wound being between her left shoulder and neck. Various news accounts stated she was found nude and others stated partially dressed, with a jacket and/or other clothing items hanging from nearby tree branches.

One article said she was found by a Michael Schneider feeding raccoons and others said a Douglas Schroeder found her. When the person (whoever he was) who found her noticed the jacket hanging in a tree, he went over to investigate and found her (and other clothing on several tree branches) body which had been partially hidden under several branches. She was found at 5:30 pm in the afternoon.

Four suspects were cleared of suspicion by lie detector tests and about 1,000 people have been interviewed since the murder. Her body was examined in Beaver Dam, WI.

Cynthia was one of 10 ten children in the family. She was buried in Forest Home Cemetery in Marinette, WI. She would have entered 12th grade the following school year.

The above information was gleaned and compiled from online newspapers, FamilySearch and Google Maps. If anyone notices any glaring errors or has more information to add to this forum, feel free to do so. I would think that local newspapers and local libraries, where the girl was kidnapped and where she was found murdered and which are not online, would provide a wealth of additional information that could also be posted here.

This and other unsolved murders in Marinette County are reported in this article from a Nov 7, 1977 Milwaukee Sentinel article:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19771107&id=WXpIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7REEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6829,1112288

I think authorities need to release more information to the public and do DNA testing to help solve this 42 year old murder. Surely they must still have evidence from the crime scene in their evidence room. I think with additional information, this crime could be solved.

I've added Cynthia Jane Allen to my updated map. These 25 cases of women and girls do not include all the unsolved/murdered/missing victims from this area. Map can be saved to your computer, opened with Paint and enlarged for easier viewing)

Cynthia Allen is on the second row, fourth photo from the left.

Here's an article about the Weber and Frank "garage murders". Definitely sounds like the same perp -- both strangled in garages within three miles of each other. One sounds like a public parking garage, the other was behind the victim's home.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=M_QVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pxEEAAAAIBAJ&dq=stena weber&pg=7301,25384

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=M_QVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pxEEAAAAIBAJ&dq=stena weber&pg=3733,39525

As for the Weber and Frank case, they were both found in their garage next to their car. Both of the garages were private garages. As for Stena Weber, who was my Aunt, my sister Cheryl found her on her way back to school after lunch. She saw the garage door was ajar and checked inside and saw her Aunt Stena laying on the ground. She ran in the house and told my mom and dad, who then went upstairs and woke up her husband (he worked 3rd shift, and when he came home and she was not there, he figured she went out shopping, so he fell asleep.. What a rude awakening..). I remember fragments of that day because I was only 3. I remember days leading up to this my mom kept seeing a white car parked out on the street that didnt belong. She even pointed it out to me and my other sister Chrissy. There was a palm print on Stena Weber's car (police never said whose it was) also, my father and my uncle were both questioned and had to take polygraph tests which they both passed.
As for Linda Frank, I know she was found on the ground in her garage next to her car, and she was in like a sitting/kneeling position. Both women were strangeled, my sister is now friends with Linda Franks fraternal twin sister and family. We all wish this case was solved, to this day my sister is still traumitized from finding her body. Oh well, sorry for going off topic.

Thanks,
Brian Harton

As for the Weber and Frank case, they were both found in their garage next to their car. Both of the garages were private garages. As for Stena Weber, who was my Aunt, my sister Cheryl found her on her way back to school after lunch. She saw the garage door was ajar and checked inside and saw her Aunt Stena laying on the ground. She ran in the house and told my mom and dad, who then went upstairs and woke up her husband (he worked 3rd shift, and when he came home and she was not there, he figured she went out shopping, so he fell asleep.. What a rude awakening..). I remember fragments of that day because I was only 3. I remember days leading up to this my mom kept seeing a white car parked out on the street that didnt belong. She even pointed it out to me and my other sister Chrissy. There was a palm print on Stena Weber's car (police never said whose it was) also, my father and my uncle were both questioned and had to take polygraph tests which they both passed.
As for Linda Frank, I know she was found on the ground in her garage next to her car, and she was in like a sitting/kneeling position. Both women were strangeled, my sister is now friends with Linda Franks fraternal twin sister and family. We all wish this case was solved, to this day my sister is still traumitized from finding her body. Oh well, sorry for going off topic.

Thanks,
Brian Harton

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/frankweber_zpsvzypgsff.jpg

Do you recall the name and/or location of the restaurant where Stena Weber worked? Do you know what high schools the victims attended?

On Sunday, June 11, 1972, Cynthia Jane Allen, age 17, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Alvin H. Allen, 90 N. Raymond Street, Marinette, (Marinette County) WI was attending a dance at Marinette Catholic Central High School, 1200 Main St., now known as St. Thomas Aquinas Academy High School. Sometime during or after the dance, she left the dance, either alone or with others, walking west on Main St., assumably toward her home, 90 N. Raymond St. This would have been a 30 minute walk. (1.4 miles), according to Google Maps.

The newspapers reported that she was found Saturday, July 1, 1972 in a wooded area at the edge of a field in the Town of Grover, Marinette County, WI. The field in the Town of Grover is about four miles west of Peshtigo, WI and 7.7 miles west of Marinette, WI. The newspapers never mentioned the exact location where the body was found.

The coroner said that Cynthia Allen had only been dead for several days. That means she was held alive in an unknown location for about 17 days before she was killed. The papers never said whether she was killed where her body was found or elsewhere.

It was reported that she was stabbed an unreleased-to-the-press number of times or several times with the fatal stab wound being between her left shoulder and neck. Various news accounts stated she was found nude and others stated partially dressed, with a jacket and/or other clothing items hanging from nearby tree branches.

One article said she was found by a Michael Schneider feeding raccoons and others said a Douglas Schroeder found her. When the person (whoever he was) who found her noticed the jacket hanging in a tree, he went over to investigate and found her (and other clothing on several tree branches) body which had been partially hidden under several branches. She was found at 5:30 pm in the afternoon.

Four suspects were cleared of suspicion by lie detector tests and about 1,000 people have been interviewed since the murder. Her body was examined in Beaver Dam, WI.

Cynthia was one of 10 ten children in the family. She was buried in Forest Home Cemetery in Marinette, WI. She would have entered 12th grade the following school year.

The above information was gleaned and compiled from online newspapers, FamilySearch and Google Maps. If anyone notices any glaring errors or has more information to add to this forum, feel free to do so. I would think that local newspapers and local libraries, where the girl was kidnapped and where she was found murdered and which are not online, would provide a wealth of additional information that could also be posted here.

This and other unsolved murders in Marinette County are reported in this article from a Nov 7, 1977 Milwaukee Sentinel article:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19771107&id=WXpIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7REEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6829,1112288

I think authorities need to release more information to the public and do DNA testing to help solve this 42 year old murder. Surely they must still have evidence from the crime scene in their evidence room. I think with additional information, this crime could be solved.

This is my first post,so I hope I do everything right!I have lived my whole life in marinette/peshtigo wi,where Cynthia Allen was murdered .i grew up down the road from where her body was located(although I wasn't born until 1973).my kids went to the school where she attended the dance .its located in the business district with heavy traffic.its one straight shot walking until you get almost to her house on North Raymond,where she would have had to turn a block to the middle class neighborhood.its unlikely she was taken against her will without someone seeing.She was found with a single stab wound to the neck/shoulder area(per local library microfilm).her jacket was located hanging from a branch across the road from the body,which was badly decomposed.most of those interviewed were students .i grew up with my parents and their friends talking about this case,as its a small community,everyone knows each other.apparently,everyone knew it was a young man(not sure if I can say his name so I wont).he was twentyish..had substance abuse problems.i know he was questioned,he ended up committing suicide by a gun shot to the head,in his apartment above a bar/restaurant,which is now Stewys Food and Spirits.cynthias family had been fairly new to the area,and after the murder her family packed up and left to their home country(I believe England).with the murder victims family out of the country,the suspect long dead,I guess the police aren't pushing closing this case.I did have contact with a homicide investigator for the Marinette Sherriffs Dept in 2005 concerning this case,and he agreed this likely was the suspect ,but there was nothing to do now.i believe Cynthia accepted a ride,and that she was driven out to the cornfield where she was stabbed and left to die.i hope I was of help!

This is my first post,so I hope I do everything right!I have lived my whole life in marinette/peshtigo wi,where Cynthia Allen was murdered .i grew up down the road from where her body was located(although I wasn't born until 1973).my kids went to the school where she attended the dance .its located in the business district with heavy traffic.its one straight shot walking until you get almost to her house on North Raymond,where she would have had to turn a block to the middle class neighborhood.its unlikely she was taken against her will without someone seeing.She was found with a single stab wound to the neck/shoulder area(per local library microfilm).her jacket was located hanging from a branch across the road from the body,which was badly decomposed.most of those interviewed were students .i grew up with my parents and their friends talking about this case,as its a small community,everyone knows each other.apparently,everyone knew it was a young man(not sure if I can say his name so I wont).he was twentyish..had substance abuse problems.i know he was questioned,he ended up committing suicide by a gun shot to the head,in his apartment above a bar/restaurant,which is now Stewys Food and Spirits.cynthias family had been fairly new to the area,and after the murder her family packed up and left to their home country(I believe England).with the murder victims family out of the country,the suspect long dead,I guess the police aren't pushing closing this case.I did have contact with a homicide investigator for the Marinette Sherriffs Dept in 2005 concerning this case,and he agreed this likely was the suspect ,but there was nothing to do now.i believe Cynthia accepted a ride,and that she was driven out to the cornfield where she was stabbed and left to die.i hope I was of help!

Welcome to Websleuths. Thank you for your inside story. I wonder if that was the apartment she was held at for 17 days and whether LE searched it for evidence. I wonder why he chose that location (which is still unknown to the public at large) to dispose of her body. How soon after the murder did the possible suspect commit suicide?

In Post # 95, at the below link, maybe you might see a connection of the Esther Spielgelberg nee Reines murder to your area since that victim was also from there. Esther was Tanna Togstad's (yet another victim) great-aunt.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?229592-WI-Tanna-Togstad-amp-Timothy-Mumbrue-Weyauwega-21-Mar-1992-Stabbed-to-Death&p=11541653#post11541653

A 1998 obit from the Madison State Journal for Cynthia's brother showing their mother at least stayed in the area.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/allenobit_zpscdfnftrm.png

Welcome to Websleuths. Thank you for your inside story. I wonder if that was the apartment she was held at for 17 days and whether LE searched it for evidence. I wonder why he chose that location (which is still unknown to the public at large) to dispose of her body. How soon after the murder did the possible suspect commit suicide?I don't be

In Post # 95, at the below link, maybe you might see a connection of the Esther Spielgelberg nee Reines murder to your area since that victim was also from there. Esther was Tanna Togstad's (yet another victim) great-aunt.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?229592-WI-Tanna-Togstad-amp-Timothy-Mumbrue-Weyauwega-21-Mar-1992-Stabbed-to-Death&p=11541653#post11541653

A 1998 obit from the Madison State Journal for Cynthia's brother showing their mother at least stayed in the area.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/allenobit_zpscdfnftrm.png
I don't believe anyone thinks she was held for any length of time.it was mid Jun,her body would have decomposed quickly.remember science was as up to parr as it is now.I believe she was killed that night.a common route to just go for a ride soul be to head from marinette south on hwy 41 to Peshtigo.don't let the fact that marinette/peshtigo are different towns.my son walks it everyday to work.once you get through the two blocks of businesses in Peshtigo ,your first country road to the right is where her body was found.this scenario with fit if he pulled over for privacy,didn't get what he wanted,stabbed her once,and left her there.i am not certain,but I think he committed suicide a year or two later,after a lifetime of problems.menominee is twin cities with marinette,only a bridge seperates the two states(he killed himself in Menominee).also,nobody knows of her mother still living in the area,unless she quietly returned.not sure why she would.im pretty certain these other murders are not connected ,I feel like the only thing in common is victim profiles.geographically,they aren't close...but who knows if the subject killed more than one person?

I don't believe anyone thinks she was held for any length of time.it was mid Jun,her body would have decomposed quickly.remember science was as up to parr as it is now.I believe she was killed that night.a common route to just go for a ride soul be to head from marinette south on hwy 41 to Peshtigo.don't let the fact that marinette/peshtigo are different towns.my son walks it everyday to work.once you get through the two blocks of businesses in Peshtigo ,your first country road to the right is where her body was found.this scenario with fit if he pulled over for privacy,didn't get what he wanted,stabbed her once,and left her there.i am not certain,but I think he committed suicide a year or two later,after a lifetime of problems.menominee is twin cities with marinette,only a bridge seperates the two states(he killed himself in Menominee).also,nobody knows of her mother still living in the area,unless she quietly returned.not sure why she would.im pretty certain these other murders are not connected ,I feel like the only thing in common is victim profiles.geographically,they aren't close...but who knows if the subject killed more than one person?

https://goo.gl/maps/ze9FoYyk81q

Thank you for your further input. If you ever think of it, after clicking on the map above of Peshtigo, could you post the approximate location of the road Cynthia Allen was found on or at least the name of the road? Thank you. Also, if you happen to know the age, name or initials of the person who committed suicide and the date he died in Menominee would also be helpful. From there I might figure out where he lived and worked at the time. (or where he went to school)

Thank you again.

also,nobody knows of her mother still living in the area,unless she quietly returned.not sure why she would

The obit I posted was from 1998, so they probably did leave since then.

Hi, I'm not sure if this thread is still active but I wanted to comment about Cynthia's family. Cynthia's dad was career military and they moved to Marinette when he retired in 1956. They didn't leave the area after the murder. I grew up in the area and I know some members of this family personally. One of the brothers (Tom) lived in Marinette until he died in an auto accident in approx. 1986. Tim, another brother, still lives in Marinette. Terry, the third brother, moved to southern WI and has since passed. Cynthia's mother just passed away this year at the age of 99. I will post a link to her obit. It gives a lot of family information. I sure wish this would be solved for the sake of the remaining family members.

View Marian Allen's Obituary on greenbaypressgazette.com and share memories

Hi! i don't know if anyone is on this thread anymore... BUT i was researching the case of Darcy Curtice (whom would have been my aunt) and she was murdered and found this same year (missing feb 13 and murdered, found in spring)
Has anyone ever known the two cases to be relataed? i saw ONE article on cynthia newspapers.com that menioned darcy's case.

I found out about cynthia bcause of researching darcy, also found out a classmate i graduated with is the daugher of one of Cynthia's brothers. very intersting.

First I've heard of the Darcy Curtice case. I've added that article. It would be interesting to know the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.

Attachments

• darcycurtice.jpg
    darcycurtice.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 21
There's a possibility this case might have connections with the Esther Spiegelberg murder and maybe the Tanna Togstad murder. The Spiegelberg's are from Marinette/Peshtigo, WI and farmed near where Cynthia Allens body was found. Togstad and Spiegelberg are close relations and were murdered within four years of each other near Weyauwega, WI.

WI - WI - Timothy Mumbrue, 35, & Tanna Togstad, 23, Weyauwega, 21 March 1992
Just came across this site by accident and I am astonished at the number of unsolved murders/deaths in central Wisconsin over the last40 years. Especially the Togstad/Repinski/Spiegelberg/Allen cases. They absolutely MUST be connected. Do "famous" investigators ever look at these sites? These cases would be a dream come true. Sorry that sounded coarse. I'm sure they don't love what they do, given the circumstances. Really makes me think there is/was a serial killer in the area.

Hi! i don't know if anyone is on this thread anymore... BUT i was researching the case of Darcy Curtice (whom would have been my aunt) and she was murdered and found this same year (missing feb 13 and murdered, found in spring)
Has anyone ever known the two cases to be relataed? i saw ONE article on cynthia newspapers.com that menioned darcy's case.

I found out about cynthia bcause of researching darcy, also found out a classmate i graduated with is the daugher of one of Cynthia's brothers. very intersting.[/QUO

I found out about cynthia bcause of researching darcy, also found out a classmate i graduated with is the daugher of one of Cynthia's brothers. very intersting.

The guys were Leafe (forgot first name) and William Powell.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back