GUILTY TX - Dawanna Thomas, 18, pregnant, San Antonio, 15 Feb 2015

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
e7eb161a-523a-44ef-90ab-d17f8aab476d_zpsq3oqnvfh.jpg

It appears this young woman has been found, just not identified yet. Already seeing posts on Facebook about what happened, and who did it.

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksa...body-found-on-east-side-may-be-loved-one.html

A San Antonio family is fearing the worst after a burned body was found on the city's East Side the same day a loved one went missing. The body was discovered near a bridge by firefighters around 9 p.m. Saturday at Schuwirth Road near FM 1346.

Daywanna Thomas, 18, has been missing since Saturday. Family members fear the body may be that of Thomas, who was pregnant.

"We are out here looking at this crime scene. We got information that my little sister, she was missing and she was burnt," said Ashley Cunningham, Thomas' sister.

Another pregnant woman murdered. So heartless. Thoughts are with her and her family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://5newsonline.com/2014/07/21/murder-a-leading-cause-of-death-for-pregnant-women/

Heart disease is the #1 cause of death for pregnant women (and most deaths in America). Murder is the 2nd leading cause of death among mothers-to-be. Suicide, unfortunately, is the pregnant women's 3rd leading cause of death. Pregnancy complications are only the 4th cause of death.
Maybe we have not come as long a way as we thought, baby. JMO

From your link:

According to Bexar County Sheriff's Office spokesman James Keith, Courtney Hyriease Velasques was arrested without incident in the 900 block of Upland Road.

According to witnesses, Velasques admitted to drowning Dawanna Thomas in Salado Creek off Rittiman Road before he tried to burn her body on Schuwirth Road near FM 1346 on Feb. 14, Keith said.

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/201...s-murder-family-seeks-death-penalty/23772289/

Thomas' mother told Eyewitness News her daughter feared for her life.

"(Velasquez) didn't want nothing to do with the baby. He kept calling me saying he wanted to get an abortion. I said we don't believe in abortion. I said my baby is going to have the baby," said the mother.

According to the affidavit, Velasquez's relatives came forward to police. A family member told detectives that he picked up Velasquez near a fast food restaurant near Rittiman Road and Highway 35 and that Velasquez' pants were "wet." The relatives then told police that Velasquez said, "I can't believe I did it," "I killed her" and "I drowned her at the creek"...

Horrible!!! Just horrible!!! If he didn't want to have anything to do with the baby, then he should have just walked away! Wouldn't be the first time a "baby daddy" walked out on the mother of his child...been there, done that! Now her mom will never know the joy of having her first grandchild or watching her daughter become a mother herself.

Absolutely heartbreaking. I just will never comprehend the mindset these monsters have, that killing is somehow the best solution to a problem. People are just disposable when they are inconvenient.

Drowning takes time. He must have had time to take a few breaths, think about what he was doing and feel the desperation of a person wanting their baby and themselves to live. After he had time to leave the scene. He could have got help or done CPR. He didn't. Just beyond my ability to understand.

RIP Dawanna and baby.

Family of slain, pregnant teen holds memorial one year later - February 2016

http://www.ksat.com/news/family-of-slain-pregnant-teen-holds-memorial-1-year-later

Family members and friends of Dawanna Thomas gathered Sunday afternoon under the bridge at Salado Creek, where they held a balloon memorial for her.

Thomas was pregnant when she was found dead a year ago.

"I told my daughter that he was a bad person, but (you) can't tell a teenager anything," Bedford said. "(You) have to let them find out, just like my mom had to let me find my way."

Thomas' mother also issued a warning to other women who might be in an abusive relationship.

"Don't be afraid to speak up when a man is hitting you, or whoever's abusing you," Bedford said.

S.A. man avoids death penalty after drowning girlfriend, burning her body

A San Antonio man will spend the rest of his life in prison after admitting, in a plea deal with prosecutors, he drowned his pregnant girlfriend last year then burned her body in a rural east Bexar County field.

Courtney Velasques, 21, avoided the death penalty Friday as part of the plea agreement for murdering Dawanna Thomas, 18, and their unborn child on Valentine's Day 2015.

Velasques is not eligible to appeal his life sentence, the Bexar County District Attorney's Office confirmed Tuesday.

Murder victim's mom says case shouldn't be closed despite killer's life sentence

Despite everything, Bedford does say she is satisfied with the plea. "I'm satisfied with him being in prison, and he'll die in prison."

What Bedford says she's not at peace with is she believes others may have also been involved.

"I'm asking deep down in my heart that they find the rest of them, because if not I might lose my mind."

Bedford says one day she'd like to have a face to face conversation with her daughter's killer and ask him why.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back