1065 users online (207 members and 858 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    That traveling bottle story is stupid. If they did that, they'd want to pack it up for the ride home, not shove it under the front seat. Open container laws apply whether you have drank anything from the bottle or not. I suppose Diane wasn't actually drinking the alcohol, she was merely transporting it home in her stomach for safekeeping.

Cannot argue that MzOp------I would think it was first packed with the rest of the food stuffs ----then Diane took it out for her use that day. Its a little too big for a cupholder----so she kept it handy, perhaps right behind her seat. That may have really scared the kids.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Three candles that illume every darkness: truth, nature, knowledge.

"There, isn't this a beautiful piece of cloth!", exclaimed the swindlers, as they described the lovely design that didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by MzOpinion8d View Post
    That traveling bottle story is stupid. If they did that, they'd want to pack it up for the ride home, not shove it under the front seat. Open container laws apply whether you have drank anything from the bottle or not. I suppose Diane wasn't actually drinking the alcohol, she was merely transporting it home in her stomach for safekeeping.
    The above BBM made me chuckle out loud. I know this is a very serious subject, but it is quite laughable sometimes the things that will come out of peoples' mouths when they are in denial. Unbelievable, really.
    My posts are and believe it or not I've put some thought into 'em.

I watched to USA doc "there is something wrong with Aunt Diane" this morning.....

my take......functioning alcoholic......why on this earth have the bottle up front?? She should have stayed put somewhere and let somebody else drive them home.

Maybe she drank for the pain....then don't drive.....crazy.

sad all the way around....reaLLY.
    ~ shine on you crAzy diamond ~ Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here

Thats possibly what her brother told her to do...."Stay put. You are drunk".....and she drove off anyway.
    Sorry--thats one of the things I want to know--the convo with her brother, what Emma really said and Diane's last convo with Danny...
    The greatest trick the Devil ever played was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Three candles that illume every darkness: truth, nature, knowledge.

"There, isn't this a beautiful piece of cloth!", exclaimed the swindlers, as they described the lovely design that didn't exist.

This case has always made me obsessed. I've read everything. This thread, other articles. Just haunts me all the time.

I think Diane Schuler killed herself and those kids. It's so hard to say that, but I really believe it. She went past the crash site, turned around, got on the wrong way, which was a very difficult to get on (it wasn't a straight right up the exit ramp) and then she crashed.

I guess what haunts me the most is those poor kids. They must have been terrified. Screaming. Crying. Oh it just makes me sick.

ETA: We don't know that the bottle was up front from the beginning. She could have gotten it at any point in time while the car was stopped. I think it was her liquid courage. And the weed was her relaxation let's do this.
    All my posts are my property and are to remain here, unless otherwise stated. All JMO, unless otherwise stated.

Have the brother and sister in law ever revealed anything about that conversation at all? I haven't been able to read her book. I am not sure I can handle it emotionally to read about the girls as they were very close in age to my own daughters.

We will never get a satisfactory explanation for what happened but I wonder if perhaps her husband was right an she was not an alcoholic or even much of a drinker and it was her inexperience with alcohol that got her in trouble.

The autopsy disclosed a perfectly normal liver. My understanding is that even moderate drinking over time leads to some fatty buildup in the liver.

Her use of alcohol that day was totally different from what you would expect from a functioning alcoholic/sneak-drinker. That type of drinker has a pretty good idea how much they can drink without becoming visibly intoxicated. From what is known, she mixed something like 4 to 6 ounces of vodka with fruit juice and drank it very rapidly on an empty stomach causing her blood alcohol to spike. This is the kind of thing a teenager would do. Pot on top of that would make the situation worse. A "functioning alcoholic" who made a habit of this kind of drinking would become a "disfunctioning alcoholic" real fast.

I suspect the explanation was that Diane had a bad headache, perhaps a hang over, and got the bright idea that a quick drink and a little pot would make the drive home a little more pleasant. Pouring the booze freehand and drinking it rapidly on an empty stomach led to a level of intoxication far beyond what she expected.

Quote Originally Posted by kemo View Post
    We will never get a satisfactory explanation for what happened but I wonder if perhaps her husband was right an she was not an alcoholic or even much of a drinker and it was her inexperience with alcohol that got her in trouble.

The autopsy disclosed a perfectly normal liver. My understanding is that even moderate drinking over time leads to some fatty buildup in the liver.

Her use of alcohol that day was totally different from what you would expect from a functioning alcoholic/sneak-drinker. That type of drinker has a pretty good idea how much they can drink without becoming visibly intoxicated. From what is known, she mixed something like 4 to 6 ounces of vodka with fruit juice and drank it very rapidly on an empty stomach causing her blood alcohol to spike. This is the kind of thing a teenager would do. Pot on top of that would make the situation worse. A "functioning alcoholic" who made a habit of this kind of drinking would become a "disfunctioning alcoholic" real fast.

I suspect the explanation was that Diane had a bad headache, perhaps a hang over, and got the bright idea that a quick drink and a little pot would make the drive home a little more pleasant. Pouring the booze freehand and drinking it rapidly on an empty stomach led to a level of intoxication far beyond what she expected.
    Many people posting have offered up the observation that it would not occur to a casual drinker (or rare drinker, if one is to believe her husband) to drink alcohol on the drive home to cure some ailment, especially while in the company of 5 young children. It wouldn't even have entered her mind as an option to reject. Rather, that's precisely the kind of thought process that occurs in someone who often uses alcohol to solve problems or numb pain.

As to her liver, she was still pretty young. Her healthy liver does not at all discount the possibility of her being a heavy drinker or alcoholic. Her habit may have developed fairly recently, and her liver would not necessarily show any sign.

Also, if she were drinking habitually at night, she wouldn't have to drink as much as another alcoholic because she was combining it with pot. Abusing both drugs causes a synergistic effect; it takes less alcohol to get you the same level of impairment as someone who is drinking alcohol alone. This would also put less stress on her liver.

At any rate, it's kind of irrelevant. Her being an alcoholic or not doesn't make her actions any less horrific.
    Last edited by nrdsb4; 06-24-2015 at 05:00 PM.

duplicate post.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadLouLou View Post
    This case has always made me obsessed. I've read everything. This thread, other articles. Just haunts me all the time.

I think Diane Schuler killed herself and those kids. It's so hard to say that, but I really believe it. She went past the crash site, turned around, got on the wrong way, which was a very difficult to get on (it wasn't a straight right up the exit ramp) and then she crashed.

I guess what haunts me the most is those poor kids. They must have been terrified. Screaming. Crying. Oh it just makes me sick.

ETA: We don't know that the bottle was up front from the beginning. She could have gotten it at any point in time while the car was stopped. I think it was her liquid courage. And the weed was her relaxation let's do this.
    Redhead, have you seen the video taken from a dashboard of a car entering the highway on the off-ramp (i.e., as DS did)? The curve of opposing traffic (i.e., traffic going back the way DS wanted to go) makes it look quite easy to make a mistake. And there was no barrier, such as traffic spikes, to impede a car getting on at the exit ramp.

Of course, DS would have had to miss the signs saying "WRONG WAY", but several witnesses said she seemed to be driving with so intense and rigid a focus, she would have had a sort of "tunnel vision".

You may not agree, of course. But after seeing that video, I wasn't at all surprised that a drunk driver would confuse the exit for the on-ramp. It's interesting that she stuck to the (ongoing, righthand) fast lane, which would have been correct if she were on a 2-way road.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Redhead, have you seen the video taken from a dashboard of a car entering the highway on the off-ramp (i.e., as DS did)? The curve of opposing traffic (i.e., traffic going back the way DS wanted to go) makes it look quite easy to make a mistake. And there was no barrier, such as traffic spikes, to impede a car getting on at the exit ramp.

Of course, DS would have had to miss the signs saying "WRONG WAY", but several witnesses said she seemed to be driving with so intense and rigid a focus, she would have had a sort of "tunnel vision".

You may not agree, of course. But after seeing that video, I wasn't at all surprised that a drunk driver would confuse the exit for the on-ramp. It's interesting that she stuck to the (ongoing, righthand) fast lane, which would have been correct if she were on a 2-way road.
    I've never seen traffic spikes on an exit ramp to keep wrong way drivers from going very far on them. Is this common elsewhere?

If she was as drunk as they say she was, I do in fact think it would be very hard for her to drive a stick straight path and that curve.
    All my posts are my property and are to remain here, unless otherwise stated. All JMO, unless otherwise stated.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeadLouLou View Post
    If she was as drunk as they say she was, I do in fact think it would be very hard for her to drive a stick straight path and that curve.
    That's where her tolerance level may indicate a history of drinking. At her blood alcohol level, most people wouldn't have been able to drive without significant impairment. That she was may indicate she was used to a fairly high level of alcohol in her blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post

Re BBM

There are a few roads where I live that are just like this and scare me. I always have to do a double-take when I get on this certain highway to be sure I am going the right way.

The road near me is a busy interesection that runs under a highway and when you turn onto the road the exit ramp is right there and if you are not thinking about it you could easily turn onto it thinking you are on an entrance ramp rather than exit ramp. They have the WRONGWAY signs which does help but I think more should be there because if you miss that sign you have nothing to tell you you are going the totally wrong way.

Trying to think what more they could do. The spikes is a good idea. Maybe some sort of spikes that would only come up if you are going wrong way.
    Or blinking red light that only drivers going wrong way would see.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast