FL FL - Teryl Steele Orcutt, 24, Middleburg, 21 Jan 1990

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
[...]

Orcutt was stabbed multiple times in the chest and might have been sexually assaulted. Her decomposing body — clothed in underpants, socks and shoes — was discovered Jan. 28, 1990, in a palmetto thicket about 100 feet off South Lee Drive and Florida 21 near Black Creek in Middleburg. Two boys riding an all-terrain vehicle near their home made the grisly find. Because of the decomposition, detectives can’t say for sure whether Orcutt was sexually assaulted.

The discovery came seven days after sheriff’s deputies found Orcutt’s red Ford Thunderbird with its engine running and headlights on parked on the shoulder of Clay County Road 218 West, also in Middleburg — about five miles from where her body was dumped.

Her purse containing cash and credit cards were near a spilled cup of soda inside the car. Deputies found Orcutt’s prescription eyeglasses, which she always wore, about 50 feet from the vehicle, according to her family and Sheriff’s Office officials at that time.

Afraid of the dark, the petite 26-year-old bank manager lived with her mother, Rosie Robinson. Orcutt was en route to their Clay Hill home when she disappeared after leaving her boyfriend’s Jacksonville residence about 5 a.m. Jan. 21, 1990. Orcutt, described as “fun, loving and kind” with no known enemies by those who knew her, would be found a few miles away from her mother’s home.

[...]

Detectives investigated and cleared Orcutt’s boyfriend. Also ruled out as a suspect was Orcutt’s former husband, said Lt. Wayne McKinney of the Clay County Sheriff’s Office, who supervises its robbery/homicide/special victims section.

McKinney along with eight detectives and two sergeants make up the section. The two squads of four investigators each work on the unsolved homicides as well as current cases.

Orcutt’s slaying is the oldest case among four unsolved homicides Sheriff’s Office detectives continue actively investigating, using new technology and old-fashioned shoe-leather to search for evidence and check out persons of interest.

The Sheriff’s Office is the lead agency investigating the cases that occurred in unincorporated areas of Clay County.

cont. at the link

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2015-02-06/story/still-searching-justice

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2015-02-06/story/still-searching-justice

Well-loved ceramic unicorns, an angel, photographs and treasured memories. That’s all Cheryl Steele Turner has left of her baby sister 25 years after someone brutally took her life in an abduction from a dark highway as she drove toward the safety of the home she shared with their mother in rural Clay County...

“We actually have obtained a DNA profile that we did not have before. We re-tested and sent it off to a private lab,” McKinney said... However, they’ve been unable to run it through the national Combined DNA Index System, commonly known as CODIS, because as yet there isn’t a database up and running that’s able to handle the specialized DNA profile obtained in the Orcutt case. That means they can’t run it through the main DNA database for known sex offenders...

“We have compared [DNA] with several law enforcement officers. At this point, we have nothing to say it was law enforcement but I can’t say with 100 percent accuracy that it wasn’t law enforcement because we have to do direct comparison,” said McKinney, noting that detectives have checked out several law enforcement officers including a former state trooper convicted of similar crimes shortly after Orcutt died.

I have just interviewed Lt. Rob Schoonover about Teryl's case for my podcast and they are pretty desperate for new leads. I did ask if this plea was still in play and he said yes, so I wanted to post it here:

If you or someone you know was driving in Clay, Duval, St. Johns or Putnam counties (FL) between December 1989 and January 1990 (or even in the months to follow) and someone tried to pull you over or force you off the road, please call Lt. Rob Schoonover at 904-213-6703 and report this information.

It sounds like she was forced off the road and abducted. I wonder if they followed her from her boyfriends house, meaning it was someone local. Jealousy could be a motive. Someone she worked with or went to school with. I hope the DNA is matched soon.

There is a podcast called Down & Away, by Jeni Decker on January 17. It that will be going over a murder of Teryl L. Steele Orcutt which happened January 21, 1990 who's car was stopped and left very near where I got in this car.

Her Facebook page:
Justice for Teryl Lynn Steele Orcutt
Posted 1/17/2021

This beautiful young woman was kidnapped and brutally murdered on January 20, 1990. She was looking forward to a bright new decade when someone took her life. Even though she barely weighed 100 pounds on a good day, she could put away the food. She hated spiders, thunder, and the dark. She loved unicorns, the color purple, my little pony's, Himalayan cats and Shih Tzu dogs, jeeps, baseball, Jacksonville Jags among many other things. If you know anything about this case, please please let us know.......Thank you for taking the time to visit her page.
1f494.png
1f494.png
1f494.png
Please share her page with your friends, you never know, it may solve this case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back