MI - Man stabs two after asking if they were Muslim

Yoda

Master
Reaction score
"Terrence Lavaron Thomas, 39, walked up to several people at a bus stop and engaged them in conversation
He asked them if they were Muslim and two responded they were not
Words were exchanged and then Thomas pulled out a knife and stabbed one man who said he was not a Muslim five times"

'We are getting indications through my officers that the suspect was somewhat incoherent afterward, and so there's a question about his stability,' Hawkins said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...o-bus-stop-told-not-Muslim.html#ixzz3S4JLCYFc
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

JMO. I don't know why my perspective is the way it is, but like the murders in Chapel Hill, I don't see this as a hate crime. This seems like a disturbed man. I think religion was convenient, in the forefront, excuse. JMO

Answered my own question:

When two people responded that they were not, Hawkins said, Thomas allegedly “became upset by that answer, saying he was Muslim and it was not acceptable that they were not.”

Sounds to me like a hate crime.

From The Washington Post:

Police: Man stabs two after asking about religious beliefs
By Abby Ohlheiser February 17 at 4:38 PM

Michigan’s hate crimes law defines “ethnic intimidation,” a felony, as when a person acts “maliciously, and with specific intent to intimidate or harass another person because of that person’s race, color, religion, gender, or national origin.”

Hawkins added that the FBI has been contacted about the case, and are “looking at it as a potential hate crime” to determine whether federal charges are warranted.

The photo of Thomas looks like he is "not quite all there," consistent with the description from Yoda's post above quoting the Daily Mail as saying he was incoherent and there were some questions about his stability.

He apparently is Muslim and not mentally stable. Both victims have been released from the hospital.

From the Daily Mail article:

Magistrate Eman Jajonie-Daman set Thomas’s bond at $1 million

Is that typical? To me it seems ridiculously high but I have no idea.

I don't know what's normal, but if he's mentally unstable and dangerous, it's probably best he stay put in jail for now.

I don't know what's normal, but if he's mentally unstable and dangerous, it's probably best he stay put in jail for now.

Definitely agree with that. I wondered if maybe it were atypical for this kind of crime but set high enough to ensure he doesn't go anywhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back