649 users online (78 members and 571 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

CT - Judith Gan, 64, dies during dental procedure, Enfield, 17 Feb 2014

NY Daily News, story at the link:

Connecticut dentist arrested for homicide one year after patient dies while having 20 teeth pulled

Rashmi Patel was charged with criminally negligent homicide and tampering with evidence Tuesday, a year to the day that Judith Gan died in his office. Patel’s assistants begged him to stop the marathon procedure — which included yanking 20 of Gan’s teeth — when her oxygen levels slipped, but the 64-year-old lost consciousness and flatlined, investigators said.

Daily Mail:

Dentist charged with homicide over death after he removed 20 teeth in one sitting after she begged him to stop

◦ Judy Gan, 64, lost consciousness in the dentist chair while undergoing a complex procedure to have 20 teeth extracted on February 17, 2014
    ◦ The retired librarian, mother-of-two and grandmother from Ellington, Connecticut, was pronounced dead an hour later in hospital in February
    ◦ Dr. Rashmi Patel, 45, had his license suspended and was later banned from practicing by Connecticut State Dental Commission
    ◦ He is accused of failing to respond appropriately when his patient's oxygen levels dropped and improperly extracting so many teeth in a single visit
    ◦ On Tuesday he handed himself in to police and was charged

20 extractions!!!! I already have dentist-phobia. This poor woman. How horrible for her.
    Even if she was 20 and healthy, she should have had multiple visits. What a butcher.

Not that I don't get angry, but I'm not usually a vengeance guy. Notwithstanding, I really want to punch this dentist in the mouth.

Only an oral surgeon should be considered for any dental problems that severe.
    A dentist does not have the qualifications, experience, facilities, or equipment necessary for something like this.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

Any English majors unfortunate enough to have an American Naturalists seminar on their resumes (hi!) will know the comparison between Rashmi Patel and Frank Norris's 'McTeague.'

From October:

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2015/...cal/911746.txt

Offers of forgiveness and regret, but no handshakes, were exchanged Friday in a packed courtroom before a judge granted a special form of probation to a Torrington dentist in a case involving the death of one of his patients.

The probation, known as accelerated rehabilitation, will last two years for Rashmi C. Patel, 46, of Suffield, on a charge of tampering with evidence... The special probation, which is only available to first-time offenders, means Patel will avoid jail time for Gan's death...

As part of the deal, Alexander told Patel to make a yearly donation of at least $500 to Gan's scholarship fund or an organization that Gan appreciated during the two-year probation.