1211 users online (273 members and 938 guests)  

Websleuths News

Elderly Man dies amid squalor, son questioned

An 81-year-old man was found dead Monday morning amid the squalor of his Westminster Avenue home, which was infested with lice and fleas and overrun by cats, police said.
    The small ranch-style dwelling lacked running water and heat, and raw sewage flooded the basement, according to a neighbor.

Sanitary conditions at the house had deteriorated so badly that the first medics on the scene later went to Griffin Hospital in Derby to be treated for exposure to lice and fleas.

Peter Zavidniak Sr. was pronounced dead at 8:04 a.m. by Shelton EMS personnel, said Detective Capt. Michael Madden, the police spokesman.

Zavidniak was found by his son, Peter Zavidniak Jr., 52, who also lives in the home, on a dead-end street off Coram Road.

A neighbor said the family had been without heat or running water for years, adding that a sewage pipe leading into the basement was broken. "All the sewage landed in the basement," said Kenneth Robinson, the couple's next-door neighbor.

He said there was no working refrigerator or stove in the home.

"In the winter, you could see them through the front window, huddling with blankets with their coats and hats on in front of an electric heater when it got cold." Robinson said neighbors tried to get help for the couple, but they would always say "there's nothing wrong."
    http://www.connpost.com/news/ci_2907255
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

This story is so sad; just sad. I assume the son must not have worked.

You mean to tell me that their State Rep. knew that these people lived this way and allowed it?