1178 users online (216 members and 962 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Pediatrician Refuses to treat Lesbians' Child

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/28...x-couples-baby

I have just one comment on this story- even if someone thinks that being gay is a sin- by what twist of logic could anyone refuse to care for a young baby whose parents happen to be gay? Treating this child would in no way compromise this doctor's religious beliefs that I can see. She 'prayed about it'. Pardon me while i throw up.

We are going to see a LOT of this stuff in the months and years ahead. Old thinking dies hard.
    'Never stop fighting..never give up'

Kevin Kostner as Eliott Ness in 'The Untouchables'

Do we know this is the full story?
    Atticus Finch: “You never really understand a person . . . until you consider things from his point of view.” To Kill A Mockingbird

All my posts are my opinion only.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettScarpetta View Post
    Do we know this is the full story?
    No we don't and I am open to modification of my take on this doctor if more comes out. There were other stories on this, the first I encountered was on a left leaning web site, I decided to look for something from more mainstream media and found the linked article on a local Fox affiliate. I don't think anyone could accuse them of bias on something like this. She apparently did ensure someone would see them so that's something. I am sure more may be coming.

I just gotta hope someone is not this ridiculous.. KWIM?
    Atticus Finch: “You never really understand a person . . . until you consider things from his point of view.” To Kill A Mockingbird

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettScarpetta View Post
    I just gotta hope someone is not this ridiculous.. KWIM?
    I know- and to give them a handwritten letter of refusal.

Doctors sometimes are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

It sounds like that is the whole story.
    I thought maybe there was more to it... like refusing to vaccinate.
    But this was at the 6 day visit and they were greeted by another doctor when they walked in.
    So... it seems like this is pretty much the entire story.
    Wow.

Lucky baby though... I wouldn't have wanted that doctor treating my child anyway.

What baffles me is how many people posting on articles believe that this woman has a right to discriminate in this manner. "Freedom of opinion!" "She has a right to say who she treats."

Although Michigan does not specifically include sexual orientation as a protected class, no one was initially ever classified as a protected class under any law until they sued. And laws around the nation have indicated sexual orientation is a protected class - meaning that refusal to serve them due to their status is unlawful discrimination - and so these ladies may have some form of lawsuit against the doctor.

At the least, I hope she loses tons of patients. What kind of doctor punishes an innocent baby for the status of its parents? And does she deny services to the children of parents who conceived them out of wedlock? Adulterers? If not, she's a hypocrite.

Doctors are supposed to care for patients. Not judge their relations. or punish them because they don't like their relations. What on earth does the sexual orientation of this child's parents have to do with the doctor promoting the health of this baby?

This is so illogical.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

What's next? refusing to treat based on race? Take away this doctor's medical licence. SMH

Refusing to care for a child because of the sexual orientation of the parents is putting personal feelings over a patient. It is morally repugnant for a doctor to ever refuse care of any child, imo. I do hope the parents will file a lawsuit and stand up for their right to seek care for their child.

First do no harm.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

This seems crazy that the doctor would refuse to treat an innocent baby due to the relationship of the parents. I am a Christian and Jesus said we are not to judge others. What religion is this doctor that thinks judging and punishing an innocent baby is OK?

Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
    What baffles me is how many people posting on articles believe that this woman has a right to discriminate in this manner. "Freedom of opinion!" "She has a right to say who she treats."

Although Michigan does not specifically include sexual orientation as a protected class, no one was initially ever classified as a protected class under any law until they sued. And laws around the nation have indicated sexual orientation is a protected class - meaning that refusal to serve them due to their status is unlawful discrimination - and so these ladies may have some form of lawsuit against the doctor.

At the least, I hope she loses tons of patients. What kind of doctor punishes an innocent baby for the status of its parents? And does she deny services to the children of parents who conceived them out of wedlock? Adulterers? If not, she's a hypocrite.

Doctors are supposed to care for patients. Not judge their relations. or punish them because they don't like their relations. What on earth does the sexual orientation of this child's parents have to do with the doctor promoting the health of this baby?

This is so illogical.
    BBM. What kind of doctor? Probably the same kind of doctor who refuses to treat un-vaccinated kids. They should all be reminded they are supposed to be healers, not judges of anyone's morality or beliefs.

I don't agree with what the doctor did, but wasn't it ruled that pharmacists don't have to fill birth control prescriptions if it's against their religion? (IIRC, the caveat being that an alternative must be made available to provide service which is what it sounds like happened here.) This is what happens when our courts allow for discrimination against one segment of the population. It leaves the door open for anyone to be discriminated against as long as the offender can claim religious reasons.
    all my comments are just my opinion. jmho. moo. etc. etc.

Well I don't think that puts the good doctor in very flattering light but honestly if I heard that my doctor had to pray and battle with his/her conscience before s/he can decide if it's morally right for him/her to give my baby the best possible care, I'd run really fast in the other direction. The family didn't lose anything. MOO.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    BBM. What kind of doctor? Probably the same kind of doctor who refuses to treat un-vaccinated kids. They should all be reminded they are supposed to be healers, not judges of anyone's morality or beliefs.
    I think that is different. My opinion on the matter aside when someone is unvaccinated they put other people are risk if they have been exposed. People who may not be able to be vaccinated because of age or healh conditions. So that one, I understand.
    Not treating someone because their parent, relative lives differently with them that brings no health risk is something else entirely to me.

I still think there could be more to this story.

Sadly we have seen it before where someone claims something and yet in the end it proves to be not true.

""After much prayer following your prenatal, I felt that i would not be able to develop the personal patient-doctor relationships that I normally do with my patients."

"We do not keep prenatal information once we have our meetings so I had no way to contact you."

She apologizes, saying, "I should have spoken with you directly that day," and "please know that I believe that God gives us free choice and I would never judge anyone based on what they do with that free choice."

Okay. I know this will not be popular however, When I read her letter, She is not judging them, just that her beliefs will make it hard for her to develop the relationship she likes to cultivate with her patients. If we want people to accept everyone, then we have to accept those who may not feel the way others do. She is not mean, or hateful, but she has a right to say what she believes and stand up for that too.
    Freedom for all, not just some. And freedom of choice for all not just some.

It may not be popular, but I think that it would have been way worse if she accepted them as a patient and then did not connect with them and she kept treating the child. She stepped out. The child was not refused medical treatment she will just be getting it from a new dr. We all choose our drs and drop them based on how we feel about them, Why shouldn't they be able to do the same? Drs also drop patients for all kinds of reasons.

To me one of the most important things we have in America is freedom of choice. While I may not agree with the dr's choice, I do support her right to make it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast