JB's picture in the laundry room

Nehemiah

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
First time this caught my eye. Have you heard before about JB's picture either being found in the laundry room, or being taken down in the laundry room in the basement?

21 THOMAS HANEY: Did you take some

22 photographs of JonBenet in the basement laundry

23 room?

24 PATSY RAMSEY: No.

25 TRIP DeMUTH: You had presents in

1 the basement laundry room, right?

2 PATSY RAMSEY: Right.

3 TRIP DeMUTH: So you wrapped

4 presents in the basement laundry room, right?

5 PATSY RAMSEY: Right.

6 TRIP DeMUTH: So you were down in

7 the basement laundry room pretty often?

8 PATSY RAMSEY: Depending on what

9 time of year it was, yeah, uh-hum.

10 TRIP DeMUTH: And do you remember

11 photographs being -- photographs of JonBenet

12 being in there?

13 PATSY RAMSEY: Taken of her in the

14 laundry room?

15 TRIP DeMUTH: No, no. Photographs

16 of her located in the laundry room?

17 PATSY RAMSEY: Oh, in the laundry

18 room, oh. I don't know, there was a bunch of

19 stuff, I mean wrapping stuff and everything. I

20 don't remember any photographs.

21 TRIP DeMUTH: Is there any reason

22 why there would be photographs of JonBenet

23 located in the laundry room?

24 PATSY RAMSEY: No. Were there --

25 I mean, did somebody find them there?

1 TRIP DeMUTH: If there were, would

2 that be out of place for you?

3 PATSY RAMSEY: It would seem to be

4 out of place. I kept wrapping materials and

5 sometimes I worked, wrapping station, Christmas

6 paper and --

7 TRIP DeMUTH: Would -- who else had

8 access to the laundry room, who else would go in

9 there? I know everybody would have access, but

10 who else would use it? Would the boys play in

11 there? Would John go down there?

12 PATSY RAMSEY: I mean anybody

13 could, but I mean the boys could come down and

14 go in the train room, we had the train set up.

15 In the far back in through there, you know. Not

16 in the laundry, really, area.

17 TRIP DeMUTH: Did anybody besides

18 you use that laundry room?

19 PATSY RAMSEY: Sometimes Linda

20 would wash, if we were washing comforters or

21 something, because those were big heavy-duty

22 laundry machines, she'd take the things in

23 there, rugs and things, and wash them down

24 there.

25 TRIP DeMUTH: Okay.

1 THOMAS HANEY: So you don't recall

2 taking a photo of her down there?

3 PATSY RAMSEY: (Shaking head.)

4 THOMAS HANEY: If she was doing

5 something really cutesy or something, would you

6 maybe run and get the camera, take one of her?

7 PATSY RAMSEY: Of her in the

8 laundry room?

9 THOMAS HANEY: Uh-hum.

10 PATSY RAMSEY: No.

Well this has certainly caught my attention ... I don't think this has been brought up before ... I wonder what it's all about?

So which is it? Photos of her that are located in the laundry room? Of photos taken of her while she was in the laundry room?

13 PATSY RAMSEY: Taken of her in the
14 laundry room?
15 TRIP DeMUTH: No, no. Photographs
16 of her located in the laundry room
?
[...]

v1 THOMAS HANEY: So you don't recall
8 laundry room?

WHAT? WHAT? pictures taken in the laundry room? Is this confirmed?

I'm of the "Intruder theory" BUT I HAVE NEVER heard anyone taken pics of their kids in a basement in a strange place like that. :waitasec:

I don't think there's any contradictions here. Haney said

THOMAS HANEY: So you don't recall
He is clearly referring to the act of transporting a photo to the basement laundry room and not to the act of making a picture with a camera. If he had meant the latter, he would have said:-

"So you don't recall TAKING HER PHOTO down there."

Like so many other tiny details in this case, I don't think this has any significance at all. Young children love photographs. I'm always finding photos in odd places - taken there by a child.

The investigators were obviously just very thorough and were trying to check out lots of little details.

What DOES strike me about this particular interview is that they were clearly considering that the photos in the basement were connected to the murder. In this case, they were clearly considering an intruder theory - i.e. a killer with an obsession about his/her victim.

I think it is garbage that the police focused only on the parents as suspects. Sure, they had to investigate the parents as the most likely killers (statistically) and when the met a brick wall they had to try harder. That is not the same as focusing only on them. We know they travelled far and wide to interview possible intruder suspects.

It is Ramsey propaganda that the police focused only on them :)

Nehemiah said:
1 THOMAS HANEY: So you don't recall

8 laundry room?

Obviously, Trip is talking about taking a picture of JonBenet doing something really cutesy in the laundry room.

So, who took the "really cutesy" picture of JonBenet in the laundry room? Some worker or babysitter who developed an interest?

Nehemiah said:
First time this caught my eye. Have you heard before about JB's picture either being found in the laundry room, or being taken down in the laundry room in the basement?

If you read further in the transcript, you can see that Patsy backpedals like mad about the pictures. Combined with how she brings up out of nowhere the heart on the hand, it is as if she went home, described to John and/or her lawyer what she said in the interview, and got scolded about how problematic her recorded testimony was, thus causing her to backpedal on it and go further on the record as saying that what she said was not what she meant, she meant something completely different.

7 PATSY RAMSEY: Fine, great. I

8 think, a couple of things that I thought about,

9 that I wanted to clarify maybe. You were asking

10 about -- particularly about the pictures of

11 JonBenet in the basement, and I remember that I

12 had taken some Xerox copies of her portfolio

13 pictures, you know, studio head shots. And

14 there was a paper cutter down there, and that I

15 used, and that --

16 TRIP DeMUTH: That could be it?

17 PATSY RAMSEY: That could be it.

18 TRIP DeMUTH: I haven't seen the

19 pictures.

20 PATSY RAMSEY: Okay, I wasn't clear

21 whether you were talking about picture of her in

22 the laundry room, or pictures of her located in

23 the laundry room. And I think that I read

24 somewhere talking about the heart on her hand.

25 And truthfully, I can't -- I am having trouble

1 distinguishing whether I have read about that or

2 whether I actually saw that. I just recently

3 read parts of the autopsy report, and I believe

4 that was on there. And I just, you know, now I

5 have a picture of a heart on her hand and I

6 can't remember whether I actually saw it or --

Patsy's claim that the pictures in the basement were copies of simple pageant headshots raises further questions. If this second answer of hers is true, then she should have been made to explain why it was important to her to use the paper cutter on them in the basement, but then leave the cut pictures there. Obviously, she had no deadline for cutting up photocopies and then leaving them in the basement; if they were intended for some other purpose, then why were they not given to whoever they were meant for? And if she had no good answer to that question, then the truth of Patsy's entire testimony gets thrown up in the air. As has often been said, a person never needs to change their testimony about what is true, if what they have said in the first place is true. Truth is what it is. You describe truthfully a circumstance you have experienced, and if I come back to you the next day or the next year, you will describe the experience the same way, because it is still true. If your story of your experience changes from day to day, though, then your questioners have a right to think that inside your head you are really thinking, "Which lie should I tell today?".

Edited to add: Hmmm, there was a paper cutter in the basement? Interesting. It is, of course, long past possible to examine it for, oh, say, fibers from a cord having been cut in two.

Jayelles said:
I don't think there's any contradictions here. Haney said

He is clearly referring to the act of transporting a photo to the basement laundry room and not to the act of making a picture with a camera. If he had meant the latter, he would have said:-

"So you don't recall TAKING HER PHOTO down there."

Like so many other tiny details in this case, I don't think this has any significance at all. Young children love photographs. I'm always finding photos in odd places - taken there by a child.

The investigators were obviously just very thorough and were trying to check out lots of little details.

What DOES strike me about this particular interview is that they were clearly considering that the photos in the basement were connected to the murder. In this case, they were clearly considering an intruder theory - i.e. a killer with an obsession about his/her victim.

I think it is garbage that the police focused only on the parents as suspects. Sure, they had to investigate the parents as the most likely killers (statistically) and when the met a brick wall they had to try harder. That is not the same as focusing only on them. We know they travelled far and wide to interview possible intruder suspects.

It is Ramsey propaganda that the police focused only on them :)
I agree, the photos didn't seem to be a mystery as much as the location where they were found. Wasn't the My Twinn doll taken out of the box from the basement laundry room shelf? I think you have to send photos with the order to get the likeness. Maybe it was photos returned with the doll and left down there among the packing, wrappings, etc.

Cranberry said:
I agree, the photos didn't seem to be a mystery as much as the location where they were found. Wasn't the My Twinn doll taken out of the box from the basement laundry room shelf? I think you have to send photos with the order to get the likeness. Maybe it was photos returned with the doll and left down there among the packing, wrappings, etc.

No, the My Twinn company did not and does not return photos, which is why they have a warning on the order form about not sending especially prized or vintage photos.

Edited to add: The company would return photos with a return envelope, but they required color pictures to be sent, the quality of color photocopies in 1996 and before was not really accurate enough to convey what coloration a doll based on JonBenet's skin color would have, Patsy would have no need to request special treatment for simple paper photocopies which could be thrown away, and why would she feel the need to cut the photocopies down? It is not as if a white border on them would be offensive or unaesthetic to the company.

23 the laundry room.

I can see where Patsy was confused,after reading the transcript which was posted in the thread starter,I felt the same way.

capps said:
23 the laundry room.

I can see where Patsy was confused,after reading the transcript which was posted in the thread starter,I felt the same way.
I am confused also. Does he mean there was a picture of her placed in the laundry room or a picture that was taken of her being in the laundry room?
I don't think PR understood either by the way she questioned the question and from her attempt to answer.
A framed picture could have been placed there by an intruder that had previously gotten in and was fantasizing about JBR or it would be kind of strange for someone in her family to photograph JBR actually in the laundry room.

WHAT:???

Where is this transcript located and what page???

why_nutt said:

19 pictures..
I think thats all you need to know.
Guess the pictures are with the enhanced 911 tape.

From 6/98:

16 LOU SMIT: Okay. Let's talk about suitcases a

17 little bit as long as your talking about it now.

18 It was right up against the wall?

19 JOHN RAMSEY: Yeah.

20 LOU SMIT: And you said you had taken that

21 down. When did you?

22 JOHN RAMSEY: Months before, probably, months

23 before, two months before. It was one of these big

24 Samsonite suitcases that, I don't know, the kids

25 used it to bring some clothes home, the older

1 kids. Sometimes it ended up at our house. I don't

2 think it was our suitcase. It seemed to belong to

3 Cindy Johnson, my ex-wife.

4 But it was here for a while. It was up in the

5 laundry room.
I remember taking it downstairs to

6 clean up. And I think I just kind of sat it in

7 this room here.

Just something that caught my eye about this suitcase being in the laundry room, JB's picture being in the laundry room, and we know that the semen stained blanket and Dr. Seuss book were contained in the suitcase. Possible that JB's picture could have been in that suitcase, too?

Am I to understand, there were pictures found by the police of Jonbenet doing something cutesy in the laundry room, and Patsy claims it would be far from likely that they were taken by "one of them".
There again , is an opportunity missed, I guess??? by the police. Had they shown them to Patsy, it may have given her a clue ,(by the clothing she had on, by the hairstyle/length), to the timing of the picture. Summer clothing/winter clothing, holiday "stuff", any of this could have made Patsy go hmm. What if, for example, Santa , when doing the house tour with Jonbenet, snapped a photo of her, one that he held on to, and brought to the house that night. It could have been anyone who worked on the basement, snapping a pic of her during that time period and leaving it at a crime scene would be a HUGE finding! Oh well.........

sissi said:
Am I to understand, there were pictures found by the police of Jonbenet doing something cutesy in the laundry room, and Patsy claims it would be far from likely that they were taken by "one of them".
There again , is an opportunity missed, I guess??? by the police. Had they shown them to Patsy, it may have given her a clue ,(by the clothing she had on, by the hairstyle/length), to the timing of the picture. Summer clothing/winter clothing, holiday "stuff", any of this could have made Patsy go hmm. What if, for example, Santa , when doing the house tour with Jonbenet, snapped a photo of her, one that he held on to, and brought to the house that night. It could have been anyone who worked on the basement, snapping a pic of her during that time period and leaving it at a crime scene would be a HUGE finding! Oh well.........
It seems obvious to me that the photos are of JonBenet doing something "cutesy". The photos might be on file or maybe it was just a trick. If they exist, then indeed who took them? Wasn't there a photographer that ran down the street naked, yelling: "I didn't kill her!"

Quoting Nehemiah in part here,

"Just something that caught my eye about this suitcase being in the laundry room, JB's picture being in the laundry room, and we know that the semen stained blanket and Dr. Seuss book were contained in the suitcase. Possible that JB's picture could have been in that suitcase, too?"

====================

A most interesting thought Nehemiah!

====================

Then this portion of the transcript, made me wonder WHY DeMuth thought the picture was of interest, IF he had not seen it? So yes the location of the picture must hold the key for asking badly phrased questions of PR. I also wonder if the paper cutter was still in the laundry room at the time of the murder, if not, where was it? I would never think of keeping a paper cutter in my laundry room, which was a large area at my house, prior to downsizing. But, whatever.

15 used, and that --

19 pictures.

Anybody, Anybody?

Nehemiah....is this coming from the NE book? What page number?

Can someone please post a page number?

Toltec said:
Anybody, Anybody?

Nehemiah....is this coming from the NE book? What page number?

Can someone please post a page number?
It's from the June 1998 interview. Line 0206-12 of the deposition. Somewhere I found an online copy but failed to include a link. I'll see if I can retrace my steps and find the link.

Camper said:
Then this portion of the transcript, made me wonder WHY DeMuth thought the picture was of interest, IF he had not seen it? So yes the location of the picture must hold the key for asking badly phrased questions of PR.
15 used, and that --

19 pictures.

Because that's how LE does things. Just trying to trip up PR. Trying to confuse her with really meaningless information they have probably already explained away. See post #lucky 13.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear
Back