Bill O'Reilly War Stories Under Scrutiny

Blondie in Spokane

Reaction score
Bill O'Reilly Has His Own Brian Williams Problem

The Fox News host has said he was in a "war zone" that apparently no American correspondent reached.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/02/bill-oreilly-brian-williams-falklands-war

"Fox News host Bill O’Reilly angrily denounced a Mother Jones report on Thursday questioning his statements regarding his reporting during the Falklands War in 1982.

“It’s a hit piece,” O’Reilly told Politico. “Everything I said about what I reported in South and Central America is true. Everything.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/bill-oreilly-is-super-mad-at-mother-jones-heres-why/

TALKING POINTS MEMO
2-20-15

"This man ... 56-year-old David Corn ... who works for the far left magazine ... Mother Jones ... smeared me, your humble correspondent, yesterday ... saying I had fabricated some war reporting.

Mother Jones ... which has low circulation ... considered by many the bottom rung of journalism in America.

however ... in this Internet age ... the defamation they put forth ... gets exposure.

and so I have to deal with this garbage tonight. I’m sorry.

basically David Corn ... a liar ... says that I exaggerated situations in the Falklands War ... and Salvadoran War."

http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/02/20/bill-oreillys-talking-points-memo-22015-airing-tonight-8pm-et

Bill O'Reilly vs Mother Jones

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4075016532001/bill-oreilly-vs-mother-jones/?#sp=show-clips

Cameraman Bill O'Reilly claims was injured in Argentina riots REFUSES to speak as seven former CBS staffers come forward to discredit Fox host's 'war zone' reporting

Left-leaning Mother Jones magazine published an article last week, claiming O'Reilly elaborated his experiences in 'war zones'

Seven people who were dispatched with O'Reilly to cover the Falklands War in Argentina have now spoken out to discredit Fox host's account

One man who is not speaking up is O'Reilly's then-cameraman, who O'Reilly says was injured in riots

All of the CBS staffers who spoke to CNN say they don't recall a cameraman getting injured

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-discredit-Fox-host-s-war-zone-reporting.html

This is not at all like Brian Williams but I will be watching.

Lies are lies no matter the liar.

Ill wait to see the whole thing play out but he is not a NEW guy. If he lied that stinks but I am not seeing the for sure right now. He is an opinion host, Not a news reporter. So the standard for truth in reporting is not the same.

In a way, it's impossible to win a debate with O'Reilly because he is not bound by reality.
lolol #sadbuttruebutfunny

(from last MJ link above)

Ill wait to see the whole thing play out but he is not a NEW guy. If he lied that stinks but I am not seeing the for sure right now. He is an opinion host, Not a news reporter. So the standard for truth in reporting is not the same.
He made these claims regarding a time when he was a reporter for CBS News. Besides, the standard of truth does not vary.

Interesting! Journalists firing jabs at other journalists! Is it a war zone? Or rather, was it really a war zone? I suppose it depends upon what the definition of was was. Someone please pass the popcorn.

I shall risk an opinion: The Mother Jones coverage is excellent and the videos given are funny in their context: Proof and laughter all at once. It doesn't get much better. The idea of O'Reilly judging the journalistic chops of Mother Jones is absurd. The idea of mass interest in any media source being a standard of journalism is laughable at best. As Mencken said: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." Fox proves that over and over.

Interesting! Journalists firing jabs at other journalists! Is it a war zone? Or rather, was it really a war zone? I suppose it depends upon what the definition of was was. Someone please pass the popcorn.

I shall risk an opinion: The Mother Jones coverage is excellent and the videos given are funny in their context: Proof and laughter all at once. It doesn't get much better. The idea of O'Reilly judging the journalistic chops of Mother Jones is absurd. The idea of mass interest in any media source being a standard of journalism is laughable at best. As Mencken said: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." Fox proves that over and over.

All news programs prove that over and over again--not just Fox

All news programs prove that over and over again--not just Fox

Actually, I find NPR pretty reliable. It has been rated by various fact-checking sites as highly accurate, and it seems to avoid some of the temptations of more visual media. I certainly don't think all news sources are created equal. I don't judge the quality of journalism by political stance. An adherence to facts rather than opinion and good writing impress me. This not to say that the political can be avoided altogether. It is impossible to avoid the political. However, many people get entertainment mixed up with news. Even regular readers of newspapers often don't know the difference between commentary and a news article. It is so sad that critical thinking is not taught in high school. If it was, the wheat could be separated from the chaff more easily.

Actually, I find NPR pretty reliable. It has been rated by various fact-checking sites as highly accurate, and it seems to avoid some of the temptations of more visual media. I certainly don't think all news sources are created equal. I don't judge the quality of journalism by political stance. An adherence to facts rather than opinion and good writing impress me. This not to say that the political can be avoided altogether. It is impossible to avoid the political. However, many people get entertainment mixed up with news. Even regular readers of newspapers often don't know the difference between commentary and a news article. It is so sad that critical thinking is not taught in high school. If it was, the wheat could be separated from the chaff more easily.

IMO, NPR is FOS too.

IMO, NPR is FOS too.

Thank you for replying. However, I am not sure what FOS means. I went online and looked through a list of acronyms. Somehow Factory Outlet Store does not quite make sense. Would you be so kind as to elaborate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Jones_(magazine)

Mother Jones (abbreviated MoJo) is a left-leaning[2][3] American magazine featuring investigative and breaking news reporting on politics, the environment, human rights, and culture. Monika Bauerlein and Clara Jeffery serve as co-editors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/b...ouble-defense-of-his-falklands-reporting.html

On Monday’s show, Mr. O’Reilly played CBS News footage from 1982 that showed the violent protests and quoted other correspondents describing the scene. He also included an interview with Don Browne, a former NBC News bureau chief who oversaw coverage of Latin America, who said there were tanks on the streets of the Argentine capital. “It was a real country at war,” Mr. Browne said. “It was a very intense situation where people got hurt.”

I wouldn't rely on mj for news, lets face it if it says left-leaning it hates bill oreilly and that is not what this is about, it;s about brian williams but others like mj would like for all to forget about poor brian and be mad at bill for a word game that dc is playing with oreilly. It's bs. jmo idk And i don't watch oreilly and would never read mj.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Jones_(magazine)

Mother Jones (abbreviated MoJo) is a left-leaning[2][3] American magazine featuring investigative and breaking news reporting on politics, the environment, human rights, and culture. Monika Bauerlein and Clara Jeffery serve as co-editors.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/24/b...ouble-defense-of-his-falklands-reporting.html

On Monday’s show, Mr. O’Reilly played CBS News footage from 1982 that showed the violent protests and quoted other correspondents describing the scene. He also included an interview with Don Browne, a former NBC News bureau chief who oversaw coverage of Latin America, who said there were tanks on the streets of the Argentine capital. “It was a real country at war,” Mr. Browne said. “It was a very intense situation where people got hurt.”

I wouldn't rely on mj for news, lets face it if it says left-leaning it hates bill oreilly and that is not what this is about, it;s about brian williams but others like mj would like for all to forget about poor brian and be mad at bill for a word game that dc is playing with oreilly. It's bs. jmo idk And i don't watch oreilly and would never read mj.

Actually, it is all about what is factual. I think facts are important, because if the facts are not accurate, how is one to know the truth? I see you like Wikipedia. In the link that follows and also in the Mother Jones article linked upthread, you will see that Bill O'Reilly has claimed to be in the Falklands when in fact he has not. There is a video clip of him claiming exactly that in the Mother Jones article. Left-leaning or right-leaning isn't nearly as relevant as accuracy in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_O'Reilly_(political_commentator)

You will note, of course, that Wikipedia does not characterize O'Reilly as a journalist? He may have been one in the past, but -- as was also pointed out by ScarlettScarpetta upthread -- "opinion host" characterizes him rather well. Once he had an opinion that while covering a riot in Buenos Aires he was also covering a war zone in the Falkland Islands. He is talented, isn't he?

I actually watched what O'Reilly had to say about the issue. His opinion matches yours: That it is all about Brian Williams.

I am so happy NBC fired Brian Williams.

Actually, it is all about what is factual. I think facts are important, because if the facts are not accurate, how is one to know the truth? I see you like Wikipedia. In the link that follows and also in the Mother Jones article linked upthread, you will see that Bill O'Reilly has claimed to be in the Falklands when in fact he has not. There is a video clip of him claiming exactly that in the Mother Jones article. Left-leaning or right-leaning isn't nearly as relevant as accuracy in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_O'Reilly_(political_commentator)

You will note, of course, that Wikipedia does not characterize O'Reilly as a journalist? He may have been one in the past, but -- as was also pointed out by ScarlettScarpetta upthread -- "opinion host" characterizes him rather well. Once he had an opinion that while covering a riot in Buenos Aires he was also covering a war zone in the Falkland Islands. He is talented, isn't he?

I actually watched what O'Reilly had to say about the issue. His opinion matches yours: That it is all about Brian Williams.

I am so happy NBC fired Brian Williams.

bbm. Like I said I did not hear oreilly say he was in the falklands, he says he was in argentina covering the falkland war. I want brian to stay fired. jmo idk

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmmm_soup
Back