Toronto, Tunnel found near sporting venue

"The tunnel was dug in the woods near Toronto's Rexall Centre and York University's Keele campus. It was large enough for a person to stand in, at around 2½ metres in height, and was about seven metres long. The tunnel had lights inside, powered by a generator, and the walls and ceiling were reinforced."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mystery-tunnel-found-near-pan-am-games-venue-1.2968367

I wonder what this is about hopefully more will be said at the press conference today.

They can't tell what they don't know...iykwim.

:moo:

How delightful! A real mystery. I'd be checking out all the Engineering students at York U who are the progeny of Catholic war veterans.

Just a guess.

What bunch of contradictory BS....

:moo: :cow:

It's not a threat, nothing criminal here folks, but yet it's a total mystery.

:crazy:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot BATMAN.

Why Catholic war veterans? Last I heard, even the Catholics and Protestants in Ireland had called a truce.

How delightful! A real mystery. I'd be checking out all the Engineering students at York U who are the progeny of Catholic war veterans.

Just a guess.

Call me clueless, but what do Catholic war veterans have to do with digging a secret tunnel?

Call me clueless, but what do Catholic war veterans have to do with digging a secret tunnel?

Just kidding. My pathetic little joke was based on the evidence in the article of the rosary, Remembrance Day poppy, and proximity to York U.

I find this story fascinating. It must have been dug when the weather was warmer but for what reason - beats me.

Strange that they are making a big deal out of this! unless there is something they are not saying. JMO

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/1...-found-by-police-in-abandoned-pickering-home/

Remember this case? I have a feeling that this may end up a similar story. Yikes.

Of course we can't eliminate terrorism, due to the times we live in, proximity to a Pan Am site, etc.

This is weird, whatever it is. This would have taken time, money (unless the equipment was stolen), and a lot of energy, as this was apparently all hand built.

I can't fathom why someone would build something like this, and in that location.

In reply to an above poster, it is pretty strange... and someone did take pains to make sure that they were not discovered.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/1...-found-by-police-in-abandoned-pickering-home/

Remember this case? I have a feeling that this may end up a similar story. Yikes.

Of course we can't eliminate terrorism, due to the times we live in, proximity to a Pan Am site, etc.

This is weird, whatever it is. This would have taken time, money (unless the equipment was stolen), and a lot of energy, as this was apparently all hand built.

I can't fathom why someone would build something like this, and in that location.

re the link you posted ---- You are reading my mind...

Someone dug this by hand and removed the soil. That's a whole lot of soil. Also, someone brought in wood and used tools to buttress the entire tunnel. So then why? The effort is monumental.

B-oA8UYUAAANwoU.jpg
http://t.co/wzhraAcH5s

Wooden rosary and Remembrance Day poppy found in tunnel

I wonder why that expensive equipment was left lying around there. Even if it was stolen, leaving it lying about makes no sense.

The bright red jerrycan caught the Conservation Officer's attention, according to a news report I saw.

It gave material for the police to trace. There could be prints/DNA on it. It could be reused later.

Also, what road nearby could a vehicle be parked on to bring all this stuff in. It must have been a logistical nightmare, especially for someone (or several people) trying to be sneaky and not get caught.

I know there are many homeless people living in the green spaces all through Toronto. I see some with tents, but during winter this wouldn't seem likely to me, to live outdoors. Maybe one was building a place for himself and others? My optimistic mind hopes that's all it is. I also remember the dungeon found in Pickering. JMO

It could be some avant-garde living experiment, but I doubt it. It doesn't seem to be the work of a homeless person, either.

In order to have the strength to do that work, and have the financial resources, you would be at the beginning edges of homelessness, I would imagine. Or, it would be done simply as an experiment.

To get all that material to that location, a vehicle of some sort would have to be used. I can't imagine hoofing it over hill and dale with generators, buckets, shovels, lighting systems, sump pumps, food and provisions, etc.

You would need something to at least get to the end of the nearest road.

With a bachelor apartment costing about $1000.00 per month, I can imagine a group of four or five clever students doing some real estate development. Their rent-free digs (heh!) could save them more than $40,000 a year.

Snipped from the link in my last past...
...No timeline was revealed by Saunders divulging when the hole — with its entry hidden by a lid covered with dirt — was excavated and then filled in by police. Instead, Saunders tacitly blamed the media for publicizing the tunnel’s existence. A CBC report broke the news Monday, and that triggered the police going public.

...Investigators have collected all the forensic data the tunnel provided, including from food and beverage items left behind. Without a suspect, DNA and fingerprints would only be useful if a match is made to existing databases. Police have also withheld details that would be known only to those who’ve been in the tunnel.

:whistle:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts