801 users online (135 members and 666 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fukiyama View Post
    I like doing timelines and I think it would be useful as we have a lot of events for that day, but they seem to be listed and references across several different threads without one post listing them all together with comments.

• AM: Mr. Lyon slept in after overnight radio show; Katherine invited over to a girlfriend's house to play, but was discouraged by Mrs. Lyon. Arrangements were made for Katherine to call at 1500. Katherine told friend she and Sheila were going to Wheaton Plaza.

• 1100-1200: Sisters left home.

• ~1930 (1130): Sisters allegedly seen near Drumm Avenue and Faulkner Place as they walked away from their home toward Wheaton Plaza by 12 year-old David Reed (knew them from the pool the previous summer and having attended school with Sheila). Sighting of girls heading away from home that late in the evening in the dark discounted two weeks after it was made. [This sighting is believed by Richard to be a possible error by police and should have been Eleven rather than Seven. Given that it is discounted otherwise and makes no difference since they obviously made it to the mall, I include it here.]

• ~1145: Sisters seen by Sarah Biosca, retired seamstress, at a leather shop looking at a wallet.

• Unknown: Sisters seen at Up Against The Wall (jeans store) by 18 year-old clerk.

• Noon: Mrs. Lyon out bowling.

• ~1300: Sisters seen at mall center waiting at the Easter Bunny display by brother Jay; Jay walked right by, but Jay does not know if they saw him.

• Unknown: Sheila seen by 13 year-old who knew her as she was sitting on the Easter Bunny's arm as children talked to the bunny.

• 1300-1400: Sisters seen by "Jimmy" and friend (both 13 years old) near the Orange Bowl restaurant as they were talking to TRM.

• ~1400: Sisters allegedly seen by brother Jay as they ate pizza in the Orange Bowl according to Washington Post. Sighting not reported in interview with Ms. Kuhn in 6 April 1975 Washington Star interview.

• 1430-1500: Sisters seen near intersection of Drumm and Devon by another boy who only came forward after the discounting of the 1930 sighting. This sighting was/is viewed with skepticism as it was reported two weeks later.

• ~Early PM: Sisters seen by James Mann as they passed by his house. (This sighting was not reported by any of the contemporary news media and is dubious.)

• 1500 (3pm): Mrs. Lyon: "A good time to be home"; Katherine was expected to be home to call her girlfriend. Mr. Lyon left home to pick up Mrs. Lyon at bowling.

• 1600-1630: Mr. and Mrs. Lyon returned home.

• 1800: Supper, Mrs. Lyon worried as girls were not home yet.

• 1900-2000: Sisters reported missing.
    Can we add to this timeline, the sighting of girls in a vehicle in VA, I believe the sighting was 4/1, but wasn't reported until 4/8.
    AND
    Can we add the date of the (fake) extortion call(i don't know this date, trying to find it). What date was Mr. Lyon supposed to drop money in the AA Courthouse (looking for this date too)??

Thanks.
    Children don't stop dancing

Melanie Ganas.........

Does anyone know how far from the Lyon's Melanie lived and in which direction? The article just says,"several doors down on the other side of the street."

Ganas house...

Quote Originally Posted by Motherof5 View Post
    Does anyone know how far from the Lyon's Melanie lived and in which direction? The article just says,"several doors down on the other side of the street."
    The houses in the subdivision are rather small, 1950's vintage. Spacing is pretty even at about 20 feet apart. So they were pretty close.

Richard........

In a previous post you had mentioned..........

Quote by Richard-*At some point, I was asked to write up a case summary *about the missing girls for a Website which eventually became "Maryland's Most Missing". That summary was "borrowed" by many other websites, usually in total, sometimes in a "rewrite" form. I later updated my summary for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) file on the girls.-

I was wondering if you had close contacts at the NCMEC or other missing children orginizations,as they have asked you to write for them in the past? I was hoping that if you do,maybe your contacts could be of some help in bringing some much needed attention to this case.

Other websites's assistance...

...I was wondering if you had close contacts at the NCMEC or other missing children orginizations,as they have asked you to write for them in the past? I was hoping that if you do,maybe your contacts could be of some help in bringing some much needed attention to this case.
    I know that there is an annual vigil sponsored by a Maryland Missing website held in Annapolis, MD (Maryland's capital) to promote and encourage the memory of missing children and adults. They also are active in notifying the news media of upcoming "anniversary" dates of certain cases, providing information that reporters can use in writing any articles.

The NCMEC and the Doenetwork (to name a few) have been very receptive to any and all information which I have sent to them regarding the Lyon Case and some others. I remember in particular sending them an updated case summary which included a brief summary of what the girls were wearing, and they immediately updated their websites.

When I sent copies of the sketch and description of the Tape Recorder Man to the Doenetwork, it was included on their site.

Each organization, and subsequently its website has ground rules and procedures which they follow regarding how they operate and who they talk to regarding the cases they take on and post. Some require a relative to formally request their assistance. Others require that a Law Enforcement Agency furnish the information, etc.

The Doenetwork will not post any case until a certain amount of time has passed. It used to be nine years, but that rule may have changed. Also, they have some strict rules against their members making contact with the families of victims. And when clues or cases are called in to them, they have a group evaluate them. -- I don't mean to speak for them or to criticize them in any way, I am just stating what I understand them to have said to me in the past.

Most old cases which are brought to media attention are there because of victims's families or police encouragement, I think. At least those factors are very important.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I know that there is an annual vigil sponsored by a Maryland Missing website held in Annapolis, MD (Maryland's capital) to promote and encourage the memory of missing children and adults. They also are active in notifying the news media of upcoming "anniversary" dates of certain cases, providing information that reporters can use in writing any articles.

The NCMEC and the Doenetwork (to name a few) have been very receptive to any and all information which I have sent to them regarding the Lyon Case and some others. I remember in particular sending them an updated case summary which included a brief summary of what the girls were wearing, and they immediately updated their websites.

When I sent copies of the sketch and description of the Tape Recorder Man to the Doenetwork, it was included on their site.

Each organization, and subsequently its website has ground rules and procedures which they follow regarding how they operate and who they talk to regarding the cases they take on and post. Some require a relative to formally request their assistance. Others require that a Law Enforcement Agency furnish the information, etc.

The Doenetwork will not post any case until a certain amount of time has passed. It used to be nine years, but that rule may have changed. Also, they have some strict rules against their members making contact with the families of victims. And when clues or cases are called in to them, they have a group evaluate them. -- I don't mean to speak for them or to criticize them in any way, I am just stating what I understand them to have said to me in the past.

Most old cases which are brought to media attention are there because of victims's families or police encouragement, I think. At least those factors are very important.
    Richard, thank you so much for filling me in on how all of these different orginizations work,I had no idea.Considering their rules,do you have a connection with any of them as they've accepted your info?

Websites...

Richard, thank you so much for filling me in on how all of these different orginizations work,I had no idea.Considering their rules,do you have a connection with any of them as they've accepted your info?
    I have no financial stake or membership in any of the websites that I mentioned in my previous post. I have, however, contacted webmasters, forum hosts, website owners, and points of contact with information, questions, updates, and correspondance at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I have no financial stake or membership in any of the websites that I mentioned in my previous post. I have, however, contacted webmasters, forum hosts, website owners, and points of contact with information, questions, updates, and correspondance at times.
    So if I am understanding you correctly, you just send info about this case to various websites from time to time, and they have accepted this info and posted it to their site.
    That is awesome. Thank you for getting the word out to more and more people through your efforts with these sites. The more eyes that read about this case, the better the chance that someone who knows something may come forth. Because there is definitely someone who knows something, we just need to tap into the right resource. Thank you again for all your efforts in this case. It's very selfless of you, considering you gain nothing for your research efforts, and the time it takes to put info together, and then reach out to the various websites.
    The world could use more acts of kindess such as this.

Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere and i missed it.
    I'd like to know if john and mary remained married after the girls disappeared.

There seems to be some information about John and his positions, but none about Mary with the exception of the 1975 article. And it doesn't seem, at least not with the info provided in this forum, that they work on any cause/causes together.
    I ask because only a really strong marriage can survive such a horrific tragedy. And I wonder what became of the family that remained after this event.

About Mary..............

I was wondering,in addition to STL's question above,does anyone know if Mary worked out of the house? She was bowling that day,so it seemed like she might not have.Also,did Mary drive? That last article that Richard posted said that John was sleeping,but got up to pick Mary up from bowling.

Where is everyone? THis forum has gone incredibly silent lately.
    Is anyone out there??

John and Mary

Quote Originally Posted by SharetheLight View Post
    Where is everyone? THis forum has gone incredibly silent lately.
    Is anyone out there??
    I just returned from another state where I went for a funeral.

I can't answer all the questions about the Lyon family that have been asked recently, although I do know that John and Mary have remained together all these years. They were on Television together for several of the "anniversary" year news shows about the disappearance of their daughters.

In 2000, after the girls had been missing for 25 years, they had a bronze marker for them placed in a small cemetery somewhere in Montgomery County. It had their names and birthdays and the date they went missing.

Richard.........

It's so nice to have you back and I'm very sorry for your loss. We really need you around here!!

The nursing home...........

Does anyone know if the nursing home employees were questioned, even the ones not working that day? Also regular visitors that could have known that kids like to cut through the woods.The girls would have passed right buy there.

Kensington nursing home...

Does anyone know if the nursing home employees were questioned, even the ones not working that day? Also regular visitors that could have known that kids like to cut through the woods.The girls would have passed right buy there.
    Police went door to door all along the route normally taken by the girls. They questioned any and all persons and asked permission to search yards and homes.

I cannot say for certain if all Nursing Home employees were questioned, but have a feeling that they police did question them. There was (and still is) a pond in the grounds of the nursing home and police divers searched it very thoroughly. They found nothing, however.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast