Rats off the hook: gerbils spread Black Plague

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Wait; what?

The story here at BBC:

'Gerbils replace rats' as main cause of Black Death

---
It had been thought that black rats were responsible for allowing the plague to establish in Europe, with new outbreaks occurring when fleas jumped from infected rodents to humans.

However, Prof Stenseth and his colleagues do not think a rat reservoir was to blame....
the rest at the link above

you realize that PETA is absolutely pondering a class action suit on behalf of all rodents that have been besmirched.......

All rodents are the same in my book...blech!

I think I hear Michael Jackson singing.

Ben, most people would turn you away.
I don't listen to a word they say ...

hamsters, gerbels and guinea pigs....amazing how many kids just love them....

A friend got her daughter a guinea pig for her birthday (or one of those other two above, I forget since I lump them all together). It wiggled and the child dropped it, then began jumping and screaming in the excitement of it all.

Unfortunately she landed on the poor thing and killed it...

Friend had to scoop it up quickly and take it outside, only to come back in and say, "oops, it got away from me and ran away!" They got another one post haste.:facepalm:

As the momma of 7 gorgeous ratties I am jumping for joy at this news!

And back to that soundtrack:

[video=youtu;ZiYldR1Vue8]http://youtu.be/ZiYldR1Vue8[/video]

Okay, considering how rodents gross me out, but I keep coming back to the this thread, coupled with the fact that when I walked my dog today, we crossed paths with a very large bobcat right in broad daylight in a residential neighborhood, I am considering the possibility that I will not have "sweet dreams" tonight. OMG.

But gerbils are so cute! Can't we ignore the research and continue blaming rats?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back