UK - Jihadi John identified as Mohammed Emwazi

zwiebel

Reaction score
The masked Islamic State militant known as "Jihadi John", who has been pictured in the videos of the beheadings of Western hostages, has been named.

The BBC understands he is Mohammed Emwazi, a Kuwaiti-born British man in his mid-20s from west London, who was known to UK security services.

They chose not to disclose his name earlier for operational reasons.

Emwazi first appeared in a video last August, when he apparently killed the American journalist James Foley.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31637090

For many British, the familiar London-accented voice in the killings made the videos particularly upsetting. And that, of course, is no accident. The slick IS media machine, which depicts its black-clad fighters like the heroes in an action movie, has realized that accent and language matter—and that someone who sounds like a friend, neighbor, or someone one went to school with will be more chilling to the British public than someone who can be categorized more easily as “the other.”

http://qz.com/351589/details-from-the-life-of-jihadi-john-are-mundane-and-also-horrifying/

from same article
Khosru Khan, 32, a worshipper at the local mosque:
"Muslims are being demonised all the world over, so we expect to see it here. He seems to be the demonised bogeyman for political purposes."

:thud: Maybe I am not understanding. Does he think, like the man below, that this is all made up? Or does he think that ME is not the man and they are just using a Muslim man as the 'bogeyman'?

Speaking outside the home a local man, who did not want to be named, said: "I didn't know him. Everybody in Islam agrees that murder is wrong... But this generation is changing, the world is changing.
"People think that a lot of what's being said about Iraq and Syria about burning people and beheadings is questionable.
"Is it made up? Really we don't know this guy or if anything is true."

Is there some reason why we are not being shown any picture of this man's face? Could intelligence agencies have a reason for not wanting this out there? I just think there would have to be pics of him from his school days, etc. This whole thing is very strange.

I did see pictures of his face on the morning news, however, they appeared to be several years old from when he was a student.

Is there some reason why we are not being shown any picture of this man's face? Could intelligence agencies have a reason for not wanting this out there? I just think there would have to be pics of him from his school days, etc. This whole thing is very strange.

Perhaps they are worried about vigilantes. I'm sure they want him captured alive.

What makes someone become like this? Murdering people in front of a camera. He was denied access to Kuwait (I'm very curious as to why.....but that's another story) so he kills?

I don't understand why they hide their face. It's cowardly. If he felt that strongly in his beliefs why hide behind a mask? I'm torn between anger and sadness. Anger at the actions and sad because I can't fathom what would draw someone to kill.

There are now a few pics of him out there, the most recent I saw was from about 2006. Nearly all the articles about this, including one in my local paper, are the standard photo of his masked and holding the knife. Doesn't it seem odd that news accounts of his unmasking show only him as masked? I'd say there HAS to have been some directive from authorities not to show his current appearance. If he is still in ISIS held territory why would they be worried about vigilantes?

Terrified relatives of Mohammed Emwazi want to change their identities over fears of revenge at tacks, friends said yesterday.

The jihadi’s parents have gone into hiding and are ‘living in fear’ that they and their children could be targeted by those demanding revenge.

Friends spoke out to defend the family – said to be moderate Muslims who had never supported extremism – fled their home in affluent Maida Vale, West London, before he was revealed to be the terrorist killer Jihadi John, and have not been seen since.

His Kuwaiti parents and their five other children – who the Mail has decided not to name – plan to change their identities to escape his notoriety and believe they will have to start new lives, away from London.

A close friend said: ‘I spoke to his sister and she is devastated. They are having to move, to change their identities. They are going through a very hard time.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-innocent-family-ve-wrong.html#ixzz3T4DMw8Ru
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Jihadi John's beard and the way he walked was the key to the missile strike that killed him, a new documentary has revealed. The merciless executioner was identified by a drone flying at night over the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa in Syria, which beamed back infrared pictures to military chiefs in the US. Within 15 seconds a missile was launched which obliterated the fanatical Londoner as he spoke on the phone.
Jihadi John was killed by a drone strike after his walk gave him away | Daily Mail Online

A Channel 4 documentary being broadcast on Monday reveals for the first time details of how Jihadi John, whose real name was Mohammed Emwazi, was hunted down and killed with the help of state-of-the-art tracking and identification technology.

In the U.S. HBO will show the documentary called Unmasking Jihadi John: Anatomy of a Terrorist.

Anyone find the date HBO will show it?

Reactions: byo
sbm

A Channel 4 documentary being broadcast on Monday reveals for the first time details of how Jihadi John, whose real name was Mohammed Emwazi, was hunted down and killed with the help of state-of-the-art tracking and identification technology.

I hope that's what it's about and not some "poor guy grew up on a council estate" thing.
Pure evil.

I'll look out for it, PastTense, I have HBO too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back