CANADA Canada - Glenn Kivell, 46, & Marion Bagshaw, 35, Queensville, Ont, 18 June 1960

Woodland

Reaction score
Double murder on 18 June 1960 of Marion Bagshaw age 35 and boyfriend Glenn Harris Kivell age 46.

5th Concession, Queesnville, Ontario - home owned by Marion Bagshaw for two years prior.

Glenn Kivell had rented a room on the farm next Marion's home for 21 months leading up to murder. He was separated from his wife and two children who lived in Willowdale, Ontario (suburb of Toronto).

Both victims were shot in the kitchen by someone LE thinks had been admitted to the home. .303 rifle is thought to be the weapon used - it was never found. Marion was found sitting in a chair, her legs still crossed. Glenn was on the floor at her feet. They had been drinking a beer and making a meal.

See Toronto Star archives - 21 June 1960 (page 1, 2 and 17), 22 June (page 1 and 2), 23 June page 8.

Marion Bagshaw was born on her parents 200 acre farm on the 4th Concession, Sunderland in 1921. Also referred to as Pinedale. Pinedale consists of the corner of 4th Concession and Sideroad 18 in Brock Township - stretching a short distance in all directions. Brock Township is made up of many small towns - Sunderland, Pinedale among them. At the time of Marion's murder, her brother still lived on the farm.

See Toronto Star archives 21 June 1960 page 2.

The 4th Concession of Sunderland is also the location where murder victim Christine Marion Jessop, age 9 was found on 31 Dec 1984. Christine lived in Queensville at the time of her abduction and murder.

See WS thread http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...tine-Jessop-9-Queensville-ON-3-October-1984-3

Unusual coincidence, wonder if MB had any connection to CJ's birth family?

That's very difficult to say dotr - it's not an area one can 'travel' through history on Ancestry etc. Far to recent.

The York Regional Police now have the Marion Bagshaw & Glenn Kivell story on their cold case website. It's such an old case but someone out there may just have a clue no matter how insignificant they may consider it.

Unfortunately this case is still unsolved. There are family members who would like closure but sadly it may be that too many years have passed. There is always a chance that someone knows something even though it's highly likely that the killer is dead.

April 9 2018
http://www.bttoronto.ca/videos/combing-through-a-cold-case/
Combing through a cold case

CityNews journalist Cynthia Mulligan gives us an inside look at a Toronto cold case she's been combing through.
https://www.yrp.ca/en/community/Marion-Bagshaw-and-Glenn-Harris-Kivell.asp
attachment.php

[h=2]Help Solve this Double Homicide[/h] Do you have information about the murder of Marion Bagshaw and Glenn Harris Kivell? Can you help identify their killer?
If so, please contact the York Regional Police Cold Case Unit at 1-866-876-5423 ext. 7865 or email the investigators directly. Want to remain anonymous? Call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS, leave a tip online at www.1800222tips.com or text a tip by sending TIPYORK and a message to CRIMES (274637).

Attachments

• 635824053900222916_Final.jpg
    635824053900222916_Final.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 84
We can only hope that Cynthia's report on City News (full story tonight at 6:00 news) brings in some tips and useful information. This story will also appear on the web.

We can only hope that Cynthia's report on City News (full story tonight at 6:00 news) brings in some tips and useful information. This story will also appear on the web.
VIDEO.
http://toronto.citynews.ca/video/20...-for-clues-in-unsolved-murder-58-years-later/
Family looking for clues in unsolved murder 58 years later

The family of a couple who were shot to death in an East Gwillimbury farmhouse 58 years ago are still searching for clues in the long unsolved murder case. Cynthia Mulligan reports.

April 9, 2018

Lengthy article.
http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/04/09/the-perfect-murder-58-years-later-a-son-still-trying-to-find-his-fathers-murderer/

The perfect murder: 58 years later, a son still trying to find his father's murderer

by Cynthia Mulligan

Posted Apr 9, 2018
It was called the “perfect murder.”

On Saturday June 18, 1960, Glenn Kivell and Marion Bagshaw were shot “in a savage barrage” in the kitchen of her East Gwillimbury farmhouse. The only witness, according to newspapers, which made much of this at the time, was Marion’s pet flying squirrel. The couple was having a beer, and a partially made salad was on the counter.
The question that dominated the news back then remains to this day: why would anyone want to kill them? At the time of her death, Marion Bagshaw was 35-years-old and considered a “modern woman.” She never married, had no children and worked full time as a data processing manager in Toronto. At a striking six feet tall, she was “very well liked by the men.”

Glenn Kivell was a successful 46-year-old executive who was also ahead of his time. He invented a decoding machine and sold the patent to IBM. He had left his wife and two children two years before his death, apparently for Marion, and rented a room at the farmhouse next door to hers.
Though they had parted ways, he never divorced his wife, who was quoted in a newspaper saying “I never gave up hope he would return to me, I still loved him.”
There were many theories about who killed Marion and Glenn. Some reports stated Marion had broken up with a boyfriend six months before, and speculated that the killer could be a jealous ex-lover. Others have speculated the killings were the work of a hit man, and many wondered Marion had material that could be used to blackmail someone. A fraud investigation was taking place at her office — maybe she had damning information. Drew also wonders if it was over a gambling debt; his father was known to play cards. One newspaper reports that neighbours speculated that the killer was a former police officer. Everything has led the civilian investigators to a dead end.
There is one nagging clue: a mystery man in a foreign-built car who was seen buying ammunition for a 303 rifle — the very type that was used in the murders. His car was seen near Marion’s farmhouse but he was never identified.
“I’m just hoping that through this [article] it will come out, and somebody knows something. Even after all this time, somebody out there knows something.”
rbbm

dotr I wonder at what store the 303 amunition was sold. In the area of the murders?

dotr I wonder at what store the 303 amunition was sold. In the area of the murders?
Welcome to Ws Barclay!
Good question about the ammunition, had been wondering why it seemed to be purchased last minute before the murders, would have expected a " hit man ' type to be prepared beforehand, or at least to hide his identity.
imo.

The .303 was the standard round used in Canadian Forces Lee-Enfield's, Vickers and Bren's. The Lee-Enfield was standard issue right up to 1955 and because it was a very popular gun, there were many commercial variants available as hunting rifles.

In 1960 this was a very rural area and likely had a number of farmers and hunters around the area using a similar gun, firing similar ammunition.

I'm assuming the shell casings were found. The stamp should show if they were army issued or commercial rounds. There were many manufacturers in Canada during WW2 and the Korean War (mostly during WW2) that were producing .303 rounds, but the stamp would tell which company.

I'm sure the police would be well aware of this, particularly so soon after these wars and they were checked and provided no lead.

ONTARIO COLD CASE: Double slaying leaves families frustrated 58 years later
Fifty-eight years later, the killer’s identity remains a mystery. No murder weapon. No motive. No suspects. A case so cold that police — and even family members who doggedly tried to find answers for years — have given up hope.

“I’ve just about got to the end of it now. I can’t do any more. I’ve pretty well done all I can do,” Drew Kivell, 72, said from his rustic lakeside Gravenhurst home. “This will never be solved, and I agree that probably whoever did it is dead.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back