SD SD - Robert Ghostbear, 45, Rapid City, 21 March 2012

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
March 21, 2012
Robert Ghostbear was found dead on the railroad tracks on East North Street. Two people walking by the area in the afternoon discovered 45-year-old Ghostbear and called police. The cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma to the head.

Ghostbear's was intoxicated at the time of his death. His last known residence was in Kyle, SD, but he had come to Rapid City about a week prior to visit his mother in the hospital. Police asked the public for help to piece together a timeline of Ghostbear's final hours, and several unproductive tips were submitted. Detectives worked to follow up on every lead, but the case remains unsolved.

The Community Reward Fund is currently offering a $6,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest and conviction in the murder of Robert Ghostbear.

http://www.rcgov.org/Police/unsolved.html

Then there are more recent cases, like Robert Ghost Bear. "He was beaten to death on the railroad tracks. We know how he died - we just aren't in a position to say who the person is who actually killed him," Captain Johns said.

In the Carl Bordeaux cold case, there is plenty of evidence, unfortunately not quite enough. "That case was a very violent homicide. We've done an extremely lengthy investigation with that," Captain Johns said. "As with any case, a lot of times you are dealing with people's testimony and when people change their stories a number of times their testimony ultimately becomes untrustworthy," Captain Johns continued.

http://www.kotatv.com/news/south-da...artment-hires-cold-case-investigator/31358738

This case will probably never be solved. I live close to the part of town where it happened. I walk my dogs by there on a regular basis. When the weather is warm enough, you will always see vagrant/transient types hanging around the tracks and the near by parks. It's always littered with empty liquor bottles and beer cans.
Alcohol abuse and violence within the Native population here is exorbitant. I don't doubt that there was a few of them together, all inebriated and someone had something the other wanted or said something the other didn't like. If you've seen the movie Joe, there's a murder scene that is the most likely scenario of what happened in this specific case. Odds are the person doesn't even remember doing it anymore.

Bumping for Robert...it's now been over 8 years since his murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcerPacer
Back