Mark Beckner’s AMA

I can't think of any logical explanation as to why an intruder would wait 2.5 hours after bludgeoning JonBenet to strangle her.

i was wondering if/when a thread would be posted about this most interesting information -- thanks cynic!

Oh my! My name is not cynic.

What would be some examples of reasonable explanations for where the DNA could come from?

Is "trace DNA" a small enough amount that it could have come from a person at the clothing factory or at the retail store where the clothing was purchased?

Is there any way to know what kind of substance the DNA came from -- like was it from semen, blood, dead skin tissue, or something else?

parent

[–]MarkBeckner 33 points 3 days ago

Manufacturing process is one. Interactions with other people is another. Intentional placement is another. Belongs to an intruder is another. Yes, you can often tell where DNA comes from. In this case, it is small enough that it is difficult to tell. CBI thought it was either sweat or saliva.

so not skin cells then ,interesting info
cause M.Lacy's theory was that the DNA on the longjohns transferred when the intruder redressed her
theory goes down the toilet once again

I can't think of any logical explanation as to why an intruder would wait 2.5 hours after bludgeoning JonBenet to strangle her.

Sexual assault? Enjoying and savoring.. This is a criminal. There are lots of reasons for a delay but to be honest, no one really knows how long they had with her.

Does anybody know if any competitors in her pageants were ever investigated??? We have seen parents go to great lengths for their children to win. Just a thought I recently had.

These "intruders" were certainly extremely comfortable in thst house. Getting notepad and pen...writing a practice run...composing the War and Peace of ransom notes. Finding the favorite nightie. Redressing a dead child. Two separate murder attempts.

Hours of this stuff.

Up and down the stairs.

And they never knew when someone might wake up and they might have to hurry out that basement window without disturbing the cobweb.

This has got to be the most highly trained, regimented, fearless Special Ops of whatever small Foreign Faction.

Does anybody know if any competitors in her pageants were ever investigated??? We have seen parents go to great lengths for their children to win. Just a thought I recently had.

Beckner said there was no evidence suggesting this. Here is the exchange:

Q: My young daughter reads mysteries with me and thought perhaps a jilted parent from a previous pageant that lost to Jon Benet could have taken the pad and pen during the open house and written the letter to setup the parents. Out for revenge for a loss, any way this could hold any water? Is it possible the victim knew the killer from a pageant and this was all a movie like setup?

A: Anything is possible, but we found no evidence to support this.

Since several posters have tried unsuccessfully to start a thread to discuss the Reddit Q&A, this must be the one we'll use. (Thank you, cynic.) I'm going to post some of what I think are the more interesting responses from Beckner (that I haven't already posted somewhere else while waiting for this dedicated thread). If anyone cares to discuss... Have at it!

QUESTION: What was your gut instinct when John Mark Karr confessed to the murder?
ANSWER: My gut reaction was that Mary Lacy did not know the facts of the case and was making a big mistake. His confession, once they shared it with us, did not match the evidence at the scene. After she asked for our help in proving he did it, we knew in about 18 hours he was not the guy. We were able to confirm he was not even in Colorado at the time by just doing some routine checking and then obtained photos of him in Georgia at the time. The DNA test, which she thought would prove he did it, proved her wrong.

QUESTION: Could you comment on any personal contact or anecdotes you have of John Mark Karr? Gotta be one of the bigger weirdos you've ever encountered.
ANSWER: I did not personally interact with him. Too creepy for me.

:floorlaugh:

"Too creepy for me." (Indeed -- this from a cop!)

QUESTION: Regarding JonBenet's murder: Is there any information not publicly available that, in your estimation, would be considered "huge" to followers of the case? If so, do you suspect that any of this information could become publicly available in our lifetimes?
ANSWER: There is some information that is not yet public, but nothing that would be considered huge or definitive. Personally, I would like to see the grand jury transcripts and evidence released to the public so that all the information could be known. Not sure that will happen in my lifetime.

QUESTION: What is holding up the transcripts and evidence being released?
ANSWER: Grand Jury secrecy laws in Colorado.

My question: So is all evidence now being withheld from the public because it was presented to the GJ? If that is true, not any of the evidence will ever be open to public scrutiny.

I know this will be an anathema to some here (garlic to a vampire, kryptonite to Superman), but I hope the IDIs and ABARs will try to contain themselves. I'm only passing on what was written by the person who was in charge of those who were investigating the most highly visible murder case in the town's history. These are his responses, and he was in a position to have first-hand knowledge.

QUESTION: What is your opinion of Lou Smit and his involvement and conclusions in this case?
ANSWER: Lou was a nice man and very religious. I believe he became emotionally involved with the family and in my opinion this clouded his judgement to the point where he could not accept the possibility that the family was involved. I base this on numerous conversations I had with him. Originally, I wanted to rely on some of Lou's conclusions based on the evidence he was telling me about. More than once, I followed up on the evidence he was using to support his belief and I found it not to be accurate.

QUESTION: Regarding the intruder theory, can you comment on the point of entry, how and intruder might have gained entry and whether it is plausible?
ANSWER: Most investigators do not believe there was a legitimate point of entry. It is unknown how an intruder may have gotten in. Lou Smit always believed it was the basement window, but we did not agree with him, as the dust and spider web were undisturbed.

QUESTION: In 1999, Alex Hunter prohibited by court order the testimony of Lou Smit. Smit had the order overturned. Since they both promoted the intruder theory, why would Hunter not want Smit to testify?
ANSWER: I'm guessing is that it is because Lou Smit had taken the case public and was misrepresenting some of the evidence.

My question: So is all evidence now being withheld from the public because it was presented to the GJ? If that is true, not any of the evidence will ever be open to public scrutiny.

It would be interesting to learn if anyone has ever tried to repeal that law. If such an effort were successful, one would hope it would apply retroactively. I'm not holding my breath.

QUESTION: Regarding JonBenet's murder: Is there any information not publicly available that, in your estimation, would be considered "huge" to followers of the case? If so, do you suspect that any of this information could become publicly available in our lifetimes?
ANSWER: There is some information that is not yet public, but nothing that would be considered huge or definitive. Personally, I would like to see the grand jury transcripts and evidence released to the public so that all the information could be known. Not sure that will happen in my lifetime.

QUESTION: What is holding up the transcripts and evidence being released?
ANSWER: Grand Jury secrecy laws in Colorado.

While grand jury proceedings are done in secret, evidence presented to a grand jury is not then unusable. Evidence used to present the case to the grand jury is then used again if a trial is held. Certainly, if you use the evidence in a GJ you don't lose it forever to the public.

These "intruders" were certainly extremely comfortable in thst house. Getting notepad and pen...writing a practice run...composing the War and Peace of ransom notes. Finding the favorite nightie. Redressing a dead child. Two separate murder attempts.

Hours of this stuff.

Up and down the stairs.

And they never knew when someone might wake up and they might have to hurry out that basement window without disturbing the cobweb.

This has got to be the most highly trained, regimented, fearless Special Ops of whatever small Foreign Faction.

I'm always amazed, also, when intruders are so bold they walk right into a house and steal or kill a child. But, as much as I wouldn't do that, it doesn't stop folks like Shasta Groene's kidnapper, Elizabeth Smart's kidnapper, Polly Klaas' kidnapper, Jessica Lunsford's killer, Danielle Van Dam's killer, I'm getting tired of typing so I'll stop with the inexhaustable list of girls boldly kidnapped by men who just walked in and took what they wanted although many were present in the home, and unaware that it was happening.

Yes, what this killer of JB did is more - to stay in the home so long. But look at the bizarre brutality of the crime? What kind of guy would DO that? One who does that, is who. A guy who is very very into sado masochism. You don't just pick that stuff up overnight or without lots of prior evidence of having SM bondage leanings.

So to suspect that her parents whacked her over the head (or Burke, which is more unbelievable) and then to cover the crime of whacking her over the head they sexually assault her while she's alive and use a Marquis de Sade knot in the garrote used to strangle her, and then stick her in a kind of secret room in the house and call the cops. Call the cops while she is STILL IN THE HOUSE? I mean, what kind of stupid home owner/killer would do that? A stupid one, is who. The Ramseys would know, for sure, that once they reported this precious child missing they would no longer have any way to get her remains out of the house undiscovered.

And in the meanwhile, the mom handwrites the 2.5 page ransom note, leaving MORE than enough evidence of her involvement. How stupid would she be to do that? Patsy was not a stupid woman. It's as hard to fake literacy as it is to fake illiteracy, and the ransom note was not written in her handwriting or with her grasp of the language.

So you're left with a very bold, sadistic killer who got pleasure out of doing this in their very home. Anything else doesn't make sense.

~RSBM~

QUESTION: What is your opinion of Lou Smit and his involvement and conclusions in this case?
ANSWER: Lou was a nice man and very religious. I believe he became emotionally involved with the family and in my opinion this clouded his judgement to the point where he could not accept the possibility that the family was involved. I base this on numerous conversations I had with him. Originally, I wanted to rely on some of Lou's conclusions based on the evidence he was telling me about. More than once, I followed up on the evidence he was using to support his belief and I found it not to be accurate.

QUESTION: Regarding the intruder theory, can you comment on the point of entry, how and intruder might have gained entry and whether it is plausible?
ANSWER: Most investigators do not believe there was a legitimate point of entry. It is unknown how an intruder may have gotten in. Lou Smit always believed it was the basement window, but we did not agree with him, as the dust and spider web were undisturbed.

March 13, 1997
The following responds to media requests for our comment on the announcement in Boulder today that retired El Paso County Sheriff's Department Captain Lou Smit will assume responsibility as lead investigator of the JonBenet murder investigation for the District Attorney's office.
Captain Smit is highly regarded in the law enforcement community, and we hope that the experience and fresh perspective he brings will expedite the process of finding and bringing to justice the murderer of JonBenet Ramsey.
- Statement made by Pat Korten

(For those who don't know, Pat Korten was the public relations official hired by the R family. He was a nationally-renowned public relations man. The R family looked for the top experts they could hire.)

I had no idea Smit had been hired so soon into the investigation by the DA’s office.

Not wishing to inflame any IDI, but the descriptive statement of one of the BPD investigators was that Lou Smit was like a computer virus downloaded into the investigation.

http://www.westword.com/news/ex-top...e-saw-his-jonbenet-comments-on-reddit-6582729

"By now, the power and influence of Reddit, which refers to itself as the "front page of the Internet," is known to just about everyone.
Except, apparently, former Boulder Police Chief Mark Beckner."

(made me chuckle)

comment from reddit user:

"I really enjoyed his AMA. He seems like very nice guy, and it isn't a surprise he was so popular with his force. As for the comments he's making now? I think he regrets making his own opinion on who he suspects is responsible so obvious. Even if it was indirectly."

I'm always amazed, also, when intruders are so bold they walk right into a house and steal or kill a child. But, as much as I wouldn't do that, it doesn't stop folks like Shasta Groene's kidnapper, Elizabeth Smart's kidnapper, Polly Klaas' kidnapper, Jessica Lunsford's killer, Danielle Van Dam's killer, I'm getting tired of typing so I'll stop with the inexhaustable list of girls boldly kidnapped by men who just walked in and took what they wanted although many were present in the home, and unaware that it was happening.

Yes, what this killer of JB did is more - to stay in the home so long. But look at the bizarre brutality of the crime? What kind of guy would DO that? One who does that, is who. A guy who is very very into sado masochism. You don't just pick that stuff up overnight or without lots of prior evidence of having SM bondage leanings.

So to suspect that her parents whacked her over the head (or Burke, which is more unbelievable) and then to cover the crime of whacking her over the head they sexually assault her while she's alive and use a Marquis de Sade knot in the garrote used to strangle her, and then stick her in a kind of secret room in the house and call the cops. Call the cops while she is STILL IN THE HOUSE? I mean, what kind of stupid home owner/killer would do that? A stupid one, is who. The Ramseys would know, for sure, that once they reported this precious child missing they would no longer have any way to get her remains out of the house undiscovered.

And in the meanwhile, the mom handwrites the 2.5 page ransom note, leaving MORE than enough evidence of her involvement. How stupid would she be to do that? Patsy was not a stupid woman. It's as hard to fake literacy as it is to fake illiteracy, and the ransom note was not written in her handwriting or with her grasp of the language.

So you're left with a very bold, sadistic killer who got pleasure out of doing this in their very home. Anything else doesn't make sense.

JeannaT, I've addressed these points so often, I'm flat-out tired of it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back