Mexico-Forty-one Americans Missing in last year - 2004

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8516977/

Five American families wiped back tears Friday as they expressed their frustration to U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar over loved ones who went missing after crossing into Nuevo Laredo.

The families gathered at the historic Laredo Federal Building in a long-anticipated meeting organized by Cuellar to hear their concerns.

One by one, family members said efforts by U.S. and Mexican investigators are appreciated but have fallen short. They asked for more FBI agents to work their cases, more intelligence sharing among Mexican and U.S. police and even legislation that would penalize police for not acting quickly enough when missing-persons reports are made.

"There's a lack of urgency that the authorities show when you report a child missing," said William Slemaker of Laredo, whose stepdaughter went missing in Nuevo Laredo 10 months ago. "At times, it's hard to continue our fight, but no matter what obstacles lie in our path, we will persevere in the name of God."

Cuellar, a Laredo Democrat, vowed to continue pressuring the U.S. and Mexican governments to solve their missing-person cases.

Since last August, 41 U.S. citizens have been reported as kidnapped along the Mexican border, he said. Nineteen have been returned, two have been confirmed killed, and 20 remain missing.

Joining Cuellar for Friday's meeting were representatives from the U.S. Consul in Nuevo Laredo, the Webb County Sheriff's Department, the Texas Secretary of State's office, the FBI, the U.S. Attorney's Office, and the U.S. Marshall's Office.

Cuellar told the families he sympathized with them and has told President Bush about the kidnapping problem and urged him to invest more resources. As a result, he said, Mexico's federal government has begun to respond with beefed up military presence on the border, more aggressive investigations and the overhaul of the Nuevo Laredo police department to root out pockets of drug-related corruption.

"But we can't stop here," Cuellar said. "We still have to put pressure on them."

Marty Haas, chief consular with the U.S. consulate office in Nuevo Laredo, told the families her office is not receiving much information on their missing loved ones, but she's willing to share whatever she learns.

Daniel Hernandez Joseph, Mexican consul in Laredo, said Mexican authorities often aren't informed about missing Americans, adding that they can't help if they don't receive a report.

the rest of the story can be viewed at the link.

This story has been all over FOX today. This problem is epidemic!

I've seen one case, a father looking for his daughter and her friend, but now we're hearing so many are missing. What is going on? Why isn't our government helping more?

JMHO
fran

fran said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8516977/

He also said that every missing person report Mexican police do receive out of Nuevo Laredo involves the drug trade, making those case especially difficult to resolve.

I wonder if this means that the kidnappers are involved with the drug trade or the victims or BOTH? Not that it should determine how hard they look, just wondering if they are actually saying that every single victim is involved in the drug trade. That would be an interesting detail to follow up on.

angelmom said:
I wonder if this means that the kidnappers are involved with the drug trade or the victims or BOTH? Not that it should determine how hard they look, just wondering if they are actually saying that every single victim is involved in the drug trade. That would be an interesting detail to follow up on.

Every single 'missing persons' case coming out of Loredo being involved in the drug trade is BS, IMO. They just recently had to replace the entire Loredo police force because of corruption, the top cop was murdered (I believe) and the have temporarily closed the consulate because of the danger to the employees because of the gunfire in the street.

In the border towns between the US and Mexico, this is a way of life, going back and forth between the US and Mexico, to shop, to party, to visit. The people missing are US citizens, caught-up in something evil, and our government isn't doing a darn thing about it.

We have forty-one US citizens missing in the past year in Loredo, where's the outrage?! Where's our government? Where's the FBI?

JMHO
fran

This website has many of the missing.

http://www.laredosmissing.com/letter.html

mysteriew:
I'm not sure how many Americans were recovered from those raids. I do believe there were a few. But, everyone needs to know that these missing people are not all connected to the drug war. They were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

IMO, our Federal government needs to get involved in this.

JMHO
fran

Well, I've been watching news of this situation for the past few days and I guess no one cares. Kind of like ..........oh, well, never mind. :silenced:

Anyway, an update on news from this today is that a top official was shot down in the streets of Nuevo Loredo, Mexico (again!). Just as the FOX news broadcaster and his crew, who've been following this missing persons case, were packing up to come back to the US, police cars went screeching past, lights and sirens blaring. Of course the newsmen followed and......... :doh: .........there was a gunfight between the two (fighting for control) drug cartels, right in downtown. I don't know what happened, I turned my tv off. But I was going to write FOX to get their news guys outta there!

I hope some of these people are found and can come home. There are people here in the US who love and miss them.

JMHO
fran

You're wrong Fran. People care, just feel helpless. Kinda like watching a car drive off of a cliff, but you don't see that you can do anything to stop it.
You can scream and cry, but can't really do anything to stop it.
I think the bust they made last month shows some movement in what is happening. US and Mexican authorities are at least trying to work together now. Unfortunately, until Mexico gets the drug cartel (and police) there under some type of control, US is limited in what they can do.
Still the movement shows there is hope.

Thanks mysteriew :blowkiss:

I guess I'm in that category, I feel helpless. I can't even imagine how their families feel.

fran

PS....I guess I get upset over this because, well, I live in So California and our son and his family live in a border town and they go on over to Mexico all the time. Not the same city as mentioned above, but I understand they've issured a traveler's advisory all along the border.......NOTE! US Citizens, it's dangerous to go to Mexico.....Plus, my hubby recently had a consulting job south of the border....I held my breathe the whole time he was gone...fran

You're right, fran. Lots of people, especially young women, go missing in Mexico all the time, especially from towns that straddle the border. I've tried to talk my 21 year old daughter into staying away from Tijuana and Ensenada or at least being extremely careful when visiting. But like most young women, she thinks she's immortal.

This link tells what is going on in that town:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164757,00.html
Drug Lords Overrun Mexican Border Town

A band of drug lords has turned the Mexican border town of Nuevo Laredo, just yards away from Texas, into lawless territory.

Not only are cocaine, marijuana and amphetamines funneled through this town, but the gang has taken on law enforcement, killing the last two elected police chiefs. The latest one lasted only six hours in office.

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12305362.htm

NUEVO LAREDO, Mexico - Last September, Brenda Cisneros was celebrating her 23rd birthday with her family at a restaurant in Laredo, Texas, when she begged her father to let her go to a concert with a friend across the border in Nuevo Laredo.

"Please, Daddy, I'm a grown-up now," her father, Pablo Cisneros, remembers her pleading. Reluctantly, he said yes. "I know you're legally an adult," he recalls telling her, "but remember, you'll always be my baby."

His daughter and her best friend, Yvette Martinez, set out for Nuevo Laredo and a concert featuring the popular ranchero singer Pepe Aguilar on Sept. 17. Cisneros hasn't seen them since.

The last he knows is that she and Martinez, a 27-year-old mother of two, called a friend at 4 a.m. to say they were heading back from the concert and were just five blocks from the U.S. border.

CaliKid:
I know what you mean. I have a daughter that's down by San Diego and she's gone across the border once or twice. She doesn't really like to though so I'm not really worried about her.

I saw an article today where many in Mexico blame the US for their plight of drug wars. They're thinking is if US citizens would just stop buying the drugs, the drug czars wouldn't be so agressive to widen their territory. :confused:

No one is willing to take responsibility.

JMHO
fran

I read in a magazine recently that a movie is being made about this problem, starring Jennifer Lopez as a detective.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dallasstar1968
Back