CA - Placentia Students Find Teacher Dead in HS Classroom 2Mar15

kimi_SFC

Reaction score
I received this text alert:

KFIAM640: Students found a teacher dead in a classroom at El Dorado High School in Placentia. www.kfiam640.com

Here's the linked story;

Students Find Teacher Hanging From Classroom Ceiling | KFI AM 640

(snip)

Orange County coroner's investigators were headed to the scene as were crisis counselors. A fire department official said, quote "it's sad for the students and fellow teachers who witnessed that." Classes are continuing as normal and police have already said they believe the hanging was a suicide.

Audio Snip:

http://www.iheart.com/show/24-7-News-The-Latest/?campid=content_listen_graphic

Read more: http://www.kfiam640.com/articles/we...=true&desktopviewduration=86400#ixzz3TGVE3Ocu

:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:confused: that this was ruled a suicide so quickly (before an autopsy has been completed)

:( deeply disturbed and saddened that students found her. Their trauma may be lifelong.

I hope a full investigation is completed. *If this was a suicide* I can't imagine the sort of pain she was in to end her life on campus, in a classroom! :hearno:

If not, I worry re: foul play. The health and safety of the students and staff must be a top priority. As a parent, and a :websleuther: I just think it's too soon to say for sure that all is well. I was floored to read they held classes today! :no:

I feel like there are huge pieces if the puzzle missing. I hope I'm wrong!

gulp. My mom is a teacher in the LA district. This is sad for everyone, of course. There really are no words...

I hope they did not make a premature decision in calling it a suicide. Hard to believe a teacher would do that to her students.

I hope they did not make a premature decision in calling it a suicide. Hard to believe a teacher would do that to her students.

Exactly! I can't imagine how the students and staff felt, knowing this happened, yet the decision was made not to cancel classes!

I believe this was a huge mistake. This was a crime scene. The parents should have been called immediately, and students sent home. Then again, maybe they did it to contain the student body for investigative purposes. :dunno:

My greater worry is ruling it a suicide immediately. That, too, could be changed at a later date, after autopsy. It just seems quite premature to do so.

Teachers spend many years educating themselves (all of the teachers at my daughters elementary school) hold Masters Degrees! They are all Credentialed. Most love their students. Yes, it is a challenging job, but to do something like this is something my mind can't grasp on first blush.

:twocents:

It is very very difficult to believe that a teacher would do that to students.

Students find teacher hanged in classroom: 'RIP Mrs jacobson' - LA Times

A popular 31-year-old photography teacher was found hanging inside an Orange County high school classroom by students as they arrived to school on Monday, police said.

The woman, identified by police as Jillian Jacobson, was found hanging from the ceiling at El Dorado High School in Placentia.

"The preliminary investigation indicates it was a suicide," said Placentia police Lt. Eric Point.

The teacher's husband was notified and grief counselors were summoned to the campus. Afternoon classes were canceled.

Embedded video & More@Link
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-teacher-dead-at-el-dorado-high-school-20150302-story.html

I heard a report on KFI local talk radio. A reporter on the scene called in after talking to some students and employees. Apparently this is a 34 yr old art teacher, very popular with the kids. She taught photography and ceramics. She is married, no mention of kids. [ I hope not]

She was very upbeat and always positive and happy according to those at the school. This morning at 8:45 her classroom was still locked, so the teacher next door unlocked it so they kids could wait inside. they did not think anything was wrong, but when they went inside the classroom, she was hanging there AND STILL HAD A PULSE. :eek:

Those poor kids. This really surprises me that she would do this KNOWING her kids would be finding her. It seems she must have done this in the morning since she still had a pulse. Seems very odd. I wonder if they have security cams to see if anyone else was around this morning.

My heart goes out to those poor students who found her....absolutely awful.

It seems odd that she was still alive when they got her down.

I'm really leaning towards homicide. Why do it at the school? Why not do it at home?

For reference b/c I was curious.

The amount of time it takes to lose consciousness and die is difficult to predict accurately and depends on several factors. Some believe unconsciousness occurs in five seconds, though Alan Gunn writes that it generally takes longer. It took a man who filmed his hanging 13 seconds to become unconscious, 1 minute and 38 seconds to lose muscle tone, and 4 minutes and 10 seconds for muscle movement to cease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_by_hanging

LE must have concluded it was suicide since the door was locked and the teacher was the only person inside the classroom. I, too, find it very disturbing that a teacher would put her young pupils through this, knowing what an impression it will make on their minds. Since she still had a pulse, I'm thinking she timed this just as she knew the students would be arriving. Had the class done something to upset her? I would find it reprehensible to think she took her life to spite her students because of a perceived slight.

My niece is a student there and she said it was horrible. She said the teacher was great and very kind. They can't believe she would do that and have the kids find her. I was so surprised they had classes today.

My niece is a student there and she said it was horrible. She said the teacher was great and very kind. They can't believe she would do that and have the kids find her. I was so surprised they had classes today.

:grouphug:

:tears:

I just can't shake that feeling of underlying foul play.... :no:

:moo:

I hope they didn't mess things up if it was a crime scene. They said she would tell students suicide is not the answer. So sad. I just read classes were until 11 when they gathered the kids in the gym and told them what happened and then released them. I didn't ask my niece about that. I am on east coast and she is there in California.

It is very very difficult to believe that a teacher would do that to students.

That's the thought I keep going back to. She seemed to be so well liked....would she really do this to her students? I can't wrap my mind around it.

Students find teacher hanged in classroom: 'RIP Mrs jacobson' - LA Times

A popular 31-year-old photography teacher was found hanging inside an Orange County high school classroom by students as they arrived to school on Monday, police said.

The woman, identified by police as Jillian Jacobson, was found hanging from the ceiling at El Dorado High School in Placentia.

"The preliminary investigation indicates it was a suicide," said Placentia police Lt. Eric Point.

The teacher's husband was notified and grief counselors were summoned to the campus. Afternoon classes were canceled.

Embedded video & More@Link
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-teacher-dead-at-el-dorado-high-school-20150302-story.html

Here's an image of Mrs. Jillian Jacobsen from the embedded video:

70fd6a7bf6a2d08960fc50b118123af4.jpg

#RIPMrsJacobson

:rose:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics