1156 users online (198 members and 958 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 100 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 44

Please continue to post here:

Link to live streaming:

http://www.kpho.com/category/224303/...live-streaming

Verdict Watch links:

Day 40

Day 41

Day 42

Day 43

Day 43, Part 2
    Last edited by LambChop; 03-04-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Hello all.

I'm still in a state of shock. I was so confident that we would have a verdict of death. Three out of four of the penalty phase retrial juries (Arizona) came back with death sentences. I thought we had a good chance. I've heard about gory murders and criminals dismembering bodies post-murders but I've rarely seen such a heinous and cruel murder---Travis was ALIVE when she stuck the knife into him, ALIVE when she chased after him with a knife and ALIVE when his throat was cut from ear to ear. So, you see, I thought we had a good chance. I don't even blame the Judge for the hung jury. Yes, the Judge made a dozen errors but the jurors have seen the autopsy photos. There is no piece of evidence more horrific than the autopsy photos. I do not know how death-qualified jurors can look at those photos and decide on life. There are no valid mitigating factors in this trial. Calling a grown woman a 'girl', making up absurd stories about abuse and pedophilia, and harping on BPD as though Arias does not know right from wrong are valid reasons to vote for life? There is such a thing as common sense and rational thinking. The jurors do not a free pass from me simply because they have made sacrifices and worked hard. We all do that in various ways. It’s a given that we have to make sacrifices for our country. I criticized the KC jurors and I will do the same here (politely and respectfully of course) if they do not come back with a unanimous verdict. I agree that a majority vote should be sufficient for death sentences. Having 12 jurors agree on death when the defendant is a young woman seems to be more difficult than sending a man to the Moon.

I go back and forth on this Judge but I think she will do the right thing and sentence Arias to LWOP. My big concern is the family especially Steven and Samantha. I’d do anything to help them but I know that what they probably want now is peace and quiet. Caylee and Travis both suffered horrendously during that dark, dark month of June, 2008. I have a special place in my heart for both of them. Call me emotional but I'll never get over these two tragedies.

image.jpg

Big breakfast for a big day

This has to be the day. I did not sleep one bit last night. I can't remember the last time that happened. It's a good thing that I'm off work because no way would I be able to function. I guess the jury won't be back till 9:30 (11:30 ET), right? Maybe I'll get lucky and relax enough to sleep. Doubt it though.

Oh oh. I must have missed it. Is the jury officially hung?

Are we really surprised the jury might be heading towards a hung jury? You can't get 12 people in a room to agree with anything. Even where to go for lunch. Juries should be set up where a majority of jurors rule or DP case rulings should be decided by judges.

Quote Originally Posted by cady View Post
    No. Yesterday at around lunch time they reported to the judge that they were having trouble reaching consensus. The word "impasse" was used by Twitter reporters, but I'm not sure whether that came from the courtroom or from Twitterers echoing each other.

JSS told the jury to go back to deliberations and work harder. She modified the juror instructions somehow to help them, but I'm not sure how exactly—that part was decided at sidebar.

As of the end of the day yesterday, they have not returned their verdict yet. They are also not deadlocked yet.

Good Morn all! I slept in!!!! It's a miracle. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet so I am still not renewed and refreshed, but give me 20 minutes and I'll get there!

Here are the links I use, just for additional references.

Streaming: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJg...MNA5sRDnvzmkdg
    Twitter (consolidated): https://twitter.com/hardtruth4real/l...ias-trial-live

Quote Originally Posted by rose222 View Post
    Hello all.

I'm still in a state of shock. I was so confident that we would have a verdict of death. Three out of four of the penalty phase retrial juries (Arizona) came back with death sentences. I thought we had a good chance. I've heard about gory murders and criminals dismembering bodies post-murders but I've rarely seen such a heinous and cruel murder---Travis was ALIVE when she stuck the knife into him, ALIVE when she chased after him with a knife and ALIVE when his throat was cut from ear to ear. So, you see, I thought we had a good chance. I don't even blame the Judge for the hung jury. Yes, the Judge made a dozen errors but the jurors have seen the autopsy photos. There is no piece of evidence more horrific than the autopsy photos. I do not know how death-qualified jurors can look at those photos and decide on life. There are no valid mitigating factors in this trial. Calling a grown woman a 'girl', making up absurd stories about abuse and pedophilia, and harping on BPD as though Arias does not know right from wrong are valid reasons to vote for life? There is such a thing as common sense and rational thinking. The jurors do not a free pass from me simply because they have made sacrifices and worked hard. We all do that in various ways. It’s a given that we have to make sacrifices for our country. I criticized the KC jurors and I will do the same here (politely and respectfully of course) if they do not come back with a unanimous verdict. I agree that a majority vote should be sufficient for death sentences. Having 12 jurors agree on death when the defendant is a young woman seems to be more difficult than sending a man to the Moon.

I go back and forth on this Judge but I think she will do the right thing and sentence Arias to LWOP. My big concern is the family especially Steven and Samantha. I’d do anything to help them but I know that what they probably want now is peace and quiet. Caylee and Travis both suffered horrendously during that dark, dark month of June, 2008. I have a special place in my heart for both of them. Call me emotional but I'll never get over these two tragedies.
    It's not over yet! Maybe later today.

Quote Originally Posted by cady View Post
    They are at "an impass", and the judge told them to go back and try again. I think they will finally come back today with a sentence of LWOP, to avoid the possibility of the judge sentencing CMJA to life with the possibility of parole (but I don't believe the judge is likely to do that). IMHO, this is what happens today

Madeleine74 is offline Of course it's my opinion; who else's would it be?
    I'm not surprised at all that this jury (or any jury) might hang when it comes to the DP. It's disappointing but not surprising. I thought going in this would be the likely outcome.

How has JSS sentenced previously? LWOP or LWP? Anyone know?

And now we wait again.

Page 1 of 100 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast