CA - Terry, 62, & Arieka Carr, 9, found dead, Clearlake Oaks, 1 Aug 2005

Trying to find a link. VERY strange story! Left wife in grocery store in Oregon, on Sunday.
Last name Carr

Hollywood producer, daughter found dead

spacer.gif

A one-time Hollywood producer and his 9-year-old daughter were found dead in their car two days after vanishing and Lake County authorities on Thursday were investigating what they called a bizarre case.

The bodies of Terry Martin Carr and his daughter, Arieka, were found in their Jeep a day after Carr abandoned his wife at a grocery store in Ashland, Ore. and drove off with the girl.

The bodies, which were in the Jeep parked outside a convenience store, showed no obvious signs of trauma and autopsies performed Wednesday were inconclusive, said Lake County Detective Tom Andrews.

He described the circumstances surrounding the deaths as "too bizarre."

Carr's wife, Chica Carr, filed missing person reports Monday morning, the day after the two vanished, said Brent Jensen, an Ashland police detective.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/entertainment/12304504.htm

Mods, can we link these two stories together as I posted this on Bizarre news....

thankx.

This story is way bizarre!

Any thoughts? I haven't a clue.

I'm surprised this case isn't getting more attention here at Websleuths.

Does anyone know of any updates?

I am very interested in finding out what happened.

Hello all! (Sorry blueclouds, didn't mean to start a new thread, just didn't look in the other forum.)
Tristan, and LaurenD,
I am surprised, at the lack of interest, as well. The only news I have heard, is that the wife was of/ from Japan, or something. The family was moving to the small Oregon town, because the UofSouthernOregon was located there, and they had an active Japanese population on campus for her to feel more welcome there.
I also heard that the farmer said he saw the COUPLE throwing away those personal photos, etc.. in his pasture.
I DON'T GET IT!!!
IF, I WERE LEFT IN A GROCERY STORE, and my hubby and daughter were GONE when I returned from the restroom, I would call 911!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would NOT wait until the next morning!!!!!!!
Apparently, in her new town, the mom is getting tons of support, including furniture. Hmmm. Thought he was some rich hubby.
None of this sounds right.
Please post if anyone of you find something new. I would like to know more. I just am wondering if anyone else thinks the story sounds a bit fishy....why would a wife help to dispose of family mementos?
SO sorry for the child. Praying the mom didn't have anything to do with this, though. Hopefully, not.

I am glad some people are interested in this bizarre story.
That poor little girl!

The media is barely giving this case a mention, and I think it's
very important.

If I hear anything, I'll post it.

Carr's disappearance, death baffling

Despite the fact that more information continues to come to light in the unexplained deaths of a film producer and his daughter, the pieces in the puzzling story of Terry Martin Carr and Arieka Carr still don't fit well. Autopsy results on the pair obtained this week were inconclusive, according to statements by officials, and the reasons for the deaths may remain unexplained for weeks, until pending toxicology results are delivered.

On Monday paramedics from the Northshore Fire Authority's Clearlake Oaks station discovered the bodies of Terry Carr, 62, and 9-year-old Arieka, lying in the back of his 2002 Jeep Cherokee at the Clearlake Oaks Tower Mart.

Detective Brent Jensen of the Ashland, Ore., Police Department, who has led that agency's investigation into the matter, told the Record-Bee Friday that the pair disappeared the day before while they along with Chikako Carr, 50, Terry Carr's wife were at an Ashland grocery store.

Described in a Friday Los Angeles Times report as a "doting" father, Terry Carr's disappearance and death reportedly has family and friends at a loss.

The story begins a week ago Friday July 29 when Terry, Chikako and Arieka Carr arrived in Ashland, where they rented an apartment.

Jensen said Chikako Carr told him she and her husband originally considered moving to Powers, Ore., to escape the big city. With a population of just over 700 people, Powers located on the Oregon coast near Coos Bay boasts a good school system and has a good student-teacher ratio, qualities the couple was looking for, Jensen reported.

But, ultimately, the Carrs who the Los Angeles Times reported Friday were used to living in a high-rise Wiltshire Boulevard condominium in Westwood decided against Powers.

"They kinda decided that was too remote," Jensen said.

Instead, they looked south, at Ashland. Jensen said Chikako Carr told him her husband had heard about Ashland a small southern Oregon city that is home to Southern Oregon University, the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and a thriving arts community from his Los Angeles business contacts.

The local university also has an active community of Japanese students, which Jensen theorized might have attracted Chikako Carr, who is of Japanese heritage.

With its good schools and artistic style, "They thought that Ashland was a comfortable place," said Jensen.

So on July 29 they rented an apartment and moved in, with very little of their belongings, most of which remain in storage in Powers, said Jensen.

The same day, Jensen said, a man spotted the couple dumping boxes and bags of possessions into a pasture, including old family photos and files, and reported it to the Jackson County Sheriff's Office. The possessions were later determined to belong to Terry Carr.

Jensen said he believes it was an attempt by the family to "start a new chapter or to close an old one."

Two days later, on Sunday, the family was at Ashland's Market of Choice, a full-service grocery store and deli, said Jensen, when the story took its strange turn.

The weather has been extremely hot in Ashland recently, said Jensen; the market's deli area, with its air conditioning and seating, offers a good place to escape the heat. Jensen calls it "a nice place to hang out if you're from out of town."

The family was in the store at around 2 p.m. Chikako Carr left her husband and daughter briefly to use the restroom, Jensen related; when she came back out, they were nowhere to be found.

In police work, said Jensen, "you look at every scenario."

His department reviewed the store's security films to check Chikako Carr's story.

"We were able to confirm that with the surveillance cameras that they had in the store," said Jensen, who explained that Terry Carr is seen with his daughter "nonchalantly walking out to the car."

Terry Carr, according to his wife, had "never done anything like this before," said Jensen, and that it was "totally out of character."

More here

Very odd indeed. If it was murder/suicide- why wait until after all of the work from the move was done?
I wonder how clearly the witness saw the "couple" who was dumping the boxes of personal possessions? Was it definately this husband and wife? Was anything missing from the vehicle? What was the couple's relationship/marriage like? Very odd indeed.

Any word on the toxicology reports?

From what I've heard, they're due any day now.

Here's the most recent update on this case. I can accept that the man fell on the little girl and suffocated her, but it still doesn't explain why he drove off from the grocery store leaving his wife behind.

Hollywood producer accidentally suffocates daughter
Carr weighed 212 pounds, 9-year-old daughter, 53

CLEARLAKE OAKS, California (AP) -- A Hollywood producer who was found dead in a car with his young daughter had apparently suffered a heart attack and fallen on top of the girl, suffocating her, according to a coroner's report.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/24/producer.death.ap/index.html

Something smells funny. And it isn't decomp.

Reactions: abr
"The body of Terry Carr, 62, toppled onto his 9-year-old daughter as she slept in the cargo area of their SUV, leaving her unable to escape or breathe, according to Lake County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Russ Perdock. Carr and his daughter, Arieka, were found August 1."

The girl was awake and in the store the last time the mother saw them. Later she and the father are found dead in the cargo area of the SUV. Presummably he was on top of her if they believe he suffocated her. What was dad doing in the back of the SUV? My first response to this information is that he was molesting the girl but then had a heart attack and suffocated her. Was there any evidence for molestation?

Just when I thought this story couldn't get any weirder....I read this!!

My nephew is 10, and not terribly big, and even if his 200lb father fell
on him (unless it was from a height of 30 feet ro more), he would
be able to get out....or scream for help.

This sounds SO odd!!

Tristan said:
Just when I thought this story couldn't get any weirder....I read this!!

My nephew is 10, and not terribly big, and even if his 200lb father fell
on him (unless it was from a height of 30 feet ro more), he would
be able to get out....or scream for help.

This sounds SO odd!!

I don't know. When I was married, my ex weighed about 240 and I weighed in at about 90 (ahh those were the days). He rolled over in bed one night, and I had to wake him. I couldn't roll him off, and or roll out from under him. Dead weight is a lot heavier than you realize.

If that's the case, and it really happened that way, what a terrible way
for this little girl to die.

Also, why did he up and leave his wife at the store and what was he
doing in the back of the SUV with his daighter???

Cypros said:
"The body of Terry Carr, 62, toppled onto his 9-year-old daughter as she slept in the cargo area of their SUV, leaving her unable to escape or breathe, according to Lake County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Russ Perdock. Carr and his daughter, Arieka, were found August 1."

The girl was awake and in the store the last time the mother saw them. Later she and the father are found dead in the cargo area of the SUV. Presummably he was on top of her if they believe he suffocated her. What was dad doing in the back of the SUV? My first response to this information is that he was molesting the girl but then had a heart attack and suffocated her. Was there any evidence for molestation?

i'm wondering the same thing...also, why would he leave the store, & drive 280 miles..sounds like murder/suicide, instead of heart attack....toxicology reports are back?...couldn't this couple have been him & his daughter, that were seen dumping belongings??
...am i missing something here?...hmmm

My partner is about 160lbs and he sometimes rolls my way in the night, its is IMPOSSIBLE to get him off - I always have to wake him up. I agree that a dead weight ways more than you think.........

There are 10 million reasons for a father being in the back of the car with his daughter- I don't think we should jump to an abuse conclusion...........

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back