Thread: 13 yo Girl found emaciated, near death at home

13 yo Girl found emaciated, near death at home

In what the state Department of Social Services is calling one of the most troubling cases of neglect in years, a 13-year-old Hyde Park girl was found emaciated and near death from an infection that appeared to have ravaged her body for weeks, officials said yesterday.

Last night, police found the girl's mother in a park near the family's home, according to a police report obtained by the Globe. The woman threatened to hurt herself, and officers took her to Carney Hospital for evaluation, the report said.

The girl's family called 911 shortly before 3 a.m. Wednesday, saying the girl was unresponsive, Monteiro said. Paramedics who responded to the call summoned police, who arrived to find the girl wearing an oxygen mask and lying on a couch in the sparsely furnished town house on Garfield Avenue, says a second police report obtained by the Globe.

According to the report, the girl's mother told police that the child had recently been seen by a doctor and was under that doctor's care for a preexisting illness. The report does not specify the illness or when the mother says her daughter saw a physician.

But one person briefed on the investigation said the girl had not been taken to a doctor despite being despondent and having lost between 30 and 40 pounds in the past three weeks.
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...death_at_home/
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

30 to 40 pounds in 3 weeks??

Something is not right with this. I don't think you can lose that much weight in 3 weeks.

What got me asking questions is that when they saw the girl she was wearing an oxygen mask. Where did that come from and who gave it to her? Family says that she has been under a doctor's care for a pre-existing illness. Yet when cops get there Mom takes off for a park threatening to kill herself.
    Wait I just reread the article- the paramedics arrived first and they called police. So they were probably the source for the oxygen mask. The police report is detailed enough to list that she was wearing an oxygen mask, and says that family says the child has seen a doctor for a pre-existing illness, yet doesn't list the doctor, when family says she saw Dr., or what the illness might be. Then the article jumped to "one person" briefed on the case says that the child never saw a physician? You are right, this doesn't make sense.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

Three days after her 13-year-old daughter was taken from their Hyde Park home, emaciated, racked with infection, and near death, police yesterday arrested Deborah Robinson, 38, on a felony charge of wanton or reckless behavior creating a risk of serious bodily injury to a child.

Officers arrived at Robinson's house on Garfield Avenue and led her away in handcuffs about 3:30 p.m., said Officer John Boyle, a police spokesman. Robinson is scheduled to appear in West Roxbury District Court tomorrow, where she will also face a misdemeanor charge of child endangerment, police said.

If convicted, she could face a maximum sentence of five years in state prison, officials said.

The arrest capped the first stage of an investigation into what social services officials call one of the most shocking cases of child medical neglect in years. Officials said Robinson allowed a minor flesh wound on her daughter's body to languish for weeks without medical attention, causing a runaway infection that damaged several of her organs.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ect_case_held/

Five years? OMG, what have we become?

Girl Had Near-Fatal Infection After Self-Piercing

POSTED: 7:18 am EDT August 9, 2005

Authorities have charged a Massachusetts woman whose daughter nearly died after trying to pierce her own navel.

Prosecutors say the mother failed to seek medical treatment after the 13-year-old developed a near-fatal infection.

Deborah Robinson faces a felony count of permitting bodily injury to a child under 14, and a misdemeanor count of child endangerment.

Authorities say the girl was likely in extreme pain within a day or two after the start of her infection, which caused organ damage. She was hospitalized last week after family members called paramedics to the home, where she was found emaciated and near death.

Prosecutors say she remains in critical but stable condition and is being given large doses of antibiotics.

A judge has also ordered the mother to undergo a mental evaluation.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/family...64/detail.html

If someone can be sued in civil court for something they "knew or should have known," I would think that someone should be able to be tried in criminal court for attemped murder in cases like this. After all, that "mother" knew or should have known that if she continued to ignore her daughter's medical condition, that she would die.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    Girl Had Near-Fatal Infection After Self-Piercing

POSTED: 7:18 am EDT August 9, 2005

Authorities have charged a Massachusetts woman whose daughter nearly died after trying to pierce her own navel.

Prosecutors say the mother failed to seek medical treatment after the 13-year-old developed a near-fatal infection.

Deborah Robinson faces a felony count of permitting bodily injury to a child under 14, and a misdemeanor count of child endangerment.

Authorities say the girl was likely in extreme pain within a day or two after the start of her infection, which caused organ damage. She was hospitalized last week after family members called paramedics to the home, where she was found emaciated and near death.

Prosecutors say she remains in critical but stable condition and is being given large doses of antibiotics.

A judge has also ordered the mother to undergo a mental evaluation.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/family...64/detail.html
    Thanks for posting that, I was just going to mention it. I found that story on one of our local news website. Very sad. I don't really understand why anyone would attempt to pierce their own tongue or naval. When I had mine done I was informed of all of the dangers that piercing those areas could cause there was no way I would have attempted it. But a 13 year old girl did? Scary

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Marshall
    Thanks for posting that, I was just going to mention it. I found that story on one of our local news website. Very sad. I don't really understand why anyone would attempt to pierce their own tongue or naval. When I had mine done I was informed of all of the dangers that piercing those areas could cause there was no way I would have attempted it. But a 13 year old girl did? Scary
    I wonder if the girl did this against her mother's wishes and that perhaps the mom considered it punishment not to take her for medical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    I wonder if the girl did this against her mother's wishes and that perhaps the mom considered it punishment not to take her for medical treatment.
    If she did then that is just sick. I am shocked by how many sick parents and people there are in this world.

A Hyde Park mother accused of neglecting her 13-year-old daughter as the girl languished near death in the family's apartment has been found competent to stand trial, according to prosecutors.

Psychiatrists at Tewksbury Hospital found Deborah Robinson, 38, mentally competent to stand trial, prosecutor David Deakin told a West Roxbury District Court judge on Friday. The judge ordered Robinson held on $10,000 cash bail.

The girl remained hospitalized on Friday at Boston Medical Center in critical condition, more than three weeks after emergency personnel found her near death on a couch in their home.

Deakin said the girl has been through more than 10 surgeries to treat the abscesses ravaging her internal organs.
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...t_of_daughter/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,221762,00.html
    BOSTON A mother whose teenage daughter nearly died from an infection caused by a bellybutton piercing was convicted Tuesday of endangering the girl's life by failing to seek medical attention until she was gravely ill.

Deborah Robinson, 39, could get up to five years in prison.

The girl developed an infection after piercing her own navel and inserting a ring.

Prosecutors said Robinson watched for several weeks as her 13-year-old daughter dropped from 115 pounds to 75 pounds, became incontinent and grew so weak that she could not get off the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,221762,00.html
    BOSTON A mother whose teenage daughter nearly died from an infection caused by a bellybutton piercing was convicted Tuesday of endangering the girl's life by failing to seek medical attention until she was gravely ill.

Deborah Robinson, 39, could get up to five years in prison.

The girl developed an infection after piercing her own navel and inserting a ring.

Prosecutors said Robinson watched for several weeks as her 13-year-old daughter dropped from 115 pounds to 75 pounds, became incontinent and grew so weak that she could not get off the couch.
    I think 5 years is a slap on the wrist for what she put her daughter through, maybe 15 would serve justice.

WHy didn't this women jsut take her daughter to the ER?

Even without insurance they would have given her antibiotics.
    If she said she could not afford them ...The Dr would have most likely given samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    WHy didn't this women jsut take her daughter to the ER?

Even without insurance they would have given her antibiotics.
    If she said she could not afford them ...The Dr would have most likely given samples.
    Absolutely, she should have been taken to the ER. However, an ER doc would not and could not give her samples. He would have treated her without regard to payment and the billing people would handle the rest. There are hospital based funds available to people without insurance (Hill-Burton grants), however, they are limited and not every one gets them. Unfortunately, in this country, if you are not covered by Medicaid/Medicare or private insurance, you will most likely get a bill, and a hefty one at that.

s_finch is offline "Perpetrators on all levels strive for stealth"
    Quote Originally Posted by natasha-cupcake
    Absolutely, she should have been taken to the ER. However, an ER doc would not and could not give her samples. He would have treated her without regard to payment and the billing people would handle the rest. There are hospital based funds available to people without insurance (Hill-Burton grants), however, they are limited and not every one gets them. Unfortunately, in this country, if you are not covered by Medicaid/Medicare or private insurance, you will most likely get a bill, and a hefty one at that.
    True, but whether she paid the bill or not, her daughter's health could have been spared. Somehow this woman doesn't sound to me like someone who's worried about paying bills. This mom deserves far more than 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by s_finch
    True, but whether she paid the bill or not, her daughter's health could have been spared. Somehow this woman doesn't sound to me like someone who's worried about paying bills. This mom deserves far more than 5 years.
    I agree completely. I wasn't trying to excuse her behavior at all. She shouldn't have treated an animal like that, much less her own daughter.

I'm still looking for exact sentencing data but below is an excerpt and link to Deborah Robinson's appeal of her conviction. The conviction was affirmed by the appeals court.

COMMONWEALTH vs. DEBORAH ROBINSON.
    DOCKET 08-P-810 Dates: May 1, 2009. - August 3, 2009. Present Kantrowitz, McHugh, & Meade, JJ. County Suffolk KEYWORDS Wanton or Reckless Conduct. Practice, Criminal, Instructions to jury, Argument by prosecutor. Minor, Medical treatment.

Indictment found and returned in the Superior Court Department on September 29, 2005.

The case was tried before Ralph D. Gants, J.

Jason Benzaken for the defendant.

Paul B. Linn, Assistant District Attorney, for the Commonwealth.

MEADE, J. The defendant was convicted of wantonly and recklessly permitting substantial bodily injury to a child in her custody in violation of G. L. c. 265, 13J(b), inserted by St. 1993, c. 340, 2. On appeal, she claims that there was insufficient evidence to support her conviction, and that the judge's instruction on wanton and reckless conduct and the prosecutor's closing argument created a substantial risk of a miscarriage of justice. We affirm.
    Whole appeal ruling at link.
    http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script.../19312&invol=1

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Belinda For This Useful Post: