1154 users online (254 members and 900 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

PA - Paul Kochu, 22, Allegheny County, 17 Dec 2014 - #2

http://www.wtae.com/news/pittsburgh-...e-man/30301444

Ben Monito, Kochu’s roommate, said they were watching Monday Night Football at Smokin' Joe's on East Carson Street. Monito said his roommate was intoxicated and went home around midnight.

"He called us a little bit after saying that he was cut, he cut himself on broken glass or something, so we came home, helped clean that up and got the bleeding to stop,” Monito said. "At the time, he was really emotional."

Monito said Kochu seemed fine by the time his friends left the house on Wharton Street. "They were going to go out and get something to eat, and Paul didn't want to go, and when they came back, he was gone," said Kochu's mother, Ellen. His keys, wallet and cellphone are gone, but his car is still there.
    Paul's FB: https://www.facebook.com/pauly.k.09?fref=ts
    Verified Insider: halaiphone

Thread #1
    Last edited by bessie; 03-14-2015 at 05:05 PM.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Quote Originally Posted by Richrd View Post
    $ 5,000 Reward : Registered Nurse : W/M/22 : 6' : 180 Lbs : Blue* Eyes : Brown Hair

Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, is in South-Western, PA.

Day 4*

Fri., Dec. 19th: http://www.wtae.com/news/pittsburgh-...01444#comments :

Includes Roommate Ben Interview Video:

[ Awaiting More Details of Location / Direction / Extent of Broken Glass Laceration(s). ]

Area Last Seen: http://www.bing.com/maps/#Y3A9NDAuMD...VkJTIwU3RhdGVz :

Zoom :: Bird's Eye View :: Rotate All 4 Directions :: Pan Tilt Zoom

Thu., Dec. 18th: http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...th-side/njWYJ/ :

Includes Search Video: (01:50) Trailing Dog Observed at nearby Monongahela River

Also Includes Video of Parents' Interview

Fri., Dec. 19th: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/...outh-side-man/ :

Includes Roommate Alex Interview Video:

(00:50) Alex demonstrates minor Laceration Area using his Left Palm / Wrist

Fri., Dec. 19th: WPXI FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/wpxi/posts/10152473654116615

Fri., Dec. 19th: Family FB: https://www.facebook.com/jessica.kochu?fref=ufi :

Community Search Scheduled for 10 A.M. Saturday, 12/20

Area Weather: http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/USPA1290:1:US

Pittsburgh Police Bureau Missing Persons Office -- (412) 323-7141

*Corrections via Family FB

[ Awaiting Law Enforcement’s Inclusion with PA’s 254 at U.S. Dept. Of Justice
    NamUs, National Missing & Unidentified Persons System:
    https://www.findthemissing.org/en ]

A$ Alway$: PA Crime$topper$ -- 1-800-4PA-TIPS - https://www.crimewatchpa.com/crimestoppers/

Our Thanks to Paul's On-Line, as well as His 2 & 4 Legged Live Searchers.

Brought over from Thread #1

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

It is hard to believe that Paul has been gone this long and we are now only starting the second thread.
    Be the most brilliant color in the box!

Thanks, Bessie!
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Thanks Bessie!
    Can you also add a post that states:

"Paul Kochu
    halaliphone Verified Insider/She is Paul's Aunt"

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...35#post8580035

Quote Originally Posted by charminglane View Post
    It is hard to believe that Paul has been gone this long and we are now only starting the second thread.
    I just discovered there's a thread.

Being from Pittsburgh, I decided to search the forum to see if anyone was sleuthing it.

Does anyone have advice on what local websleuthers can do to help at this point?

February 1th was the family's last plea for help finding him.

http://www.wtae.com/news/family-of-m...ement/31274164

I'm a bit suspicious about the following in the above article:

"He called us a little bit after saying that he was cut, he cut himself on broken glass or something, so we came home, helped clean that up and got the bleeding to stop,” Monito said. "At the time, he was really emotional."

Monito said Paul Kochu seemed fine by the time his friends left the house on Wharton Street around 2 a.m. on Dec. 16.
    I do not recall the local news reporting that in the early days. All that was said was they were all out drinking, came home (as if they came home together), his roommates went back out, and that's the last they saw him.

This broken glass story sounds like a way to explain evidence of blood that may have been found in the home.

Did that make anyone else suspicious?

I do not recall the local TV news reporting that in the early days. All that was said was they were all out drinking, came home (as if they came home together), his roommates went back out, and that's the last they saw him.

This broken glass story sounds like a way to explain evidence of blood that may have been found in the home.

Since he was a nurse, he wouldn't need to call his friends to help him clean and dress a wound.

I see in the first thread I'm not the only one who thinks that's suspicious.
    Last edited by Miss Muffet; 03-10-2015 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Muffet View Post

http://www.wtae.com/news/family-of-m...ement/31274164

I'm a bit suspicious about the following in the above article:

I do not recall the local TV news reporting that in the early days. All that was said was they were all out drinking, came home (as if they came home together), his roommates went back out, and that's the last they saw him.

The broken glass and cut was in the news as early as 12/19. Here's the WTAE video with Ben Monito.
    http://www.wtae.com/news/parents-try...e-man/30310506

Quote Originally Posted by Detective Klimpt View Post
    The broken glass and cut was in the news as early as 12/19. Here's the WTAE video with Ben Monito.
    http://www.wtae.com/news/parents-try...e-man/30310506
    So? I shared I didn't hear about the broken glass when the story broke. He disappeared on the 17th. That's the 19th. I'm not a big television news watcher. When I do, I watch channel 11. I left for Vermont shortly after that and was out of the city for a few weeks.

When I first heard about it, I recall thinking he was a victim of random violence. South Side isn't the safest for walking alone after the bars close. When his body wasn't found, I doubted it was random. Random violence doesn't go through a whole lot of trouble disposing of bodies. If they do, they don't do a good job of it IMO.

Anyway, I decided to look for a thread to see if I could help since I live 10 minutes away from where he disappeared. I'm starting to read the previous thread with a fresh eye since I don't know much about this case except that he disappeared under the circumstances I shared, and his family had repeated searches.

In reading the first thread, it seems people are confused over the sequence of events.

His father said he didn't go out with his friends to get food due to a disagreement earlier.

Look at the sequence according to his friends:

PK and friends went to the bar.
    PK left by himself and went home.
    PK cut his hand on "glass or something."
    PK called his friends about cutting himself.
    Friends returned home to helped him clean his wound, etc.. PK is upset.
    Friends left to get food. PK stayed home. That's the last they saw him.
    According to his father he stayed home because of a disagreement earlier.

Earlier when? Since he left the bar alone earlier, it seems that's when the disagreement occurred. And why would a nurse need to call someone to come clean his wounds?

The following is my theory:

PK has disagreement with friends, leaves bar and goes home.
    PK calls friends angry over disagreement.
    Friends return home due to disagreement.
    PK is upset and they get into a physical fight.
    PK ends up dead, Probably accidently.
    They clean up blood, toss his body into the river.
    Go McDonalds.

I'm wondering if LE checked security cameras for the movements of his friends through South Side that night. I wonder if LE went to the bar and tried to talk to everyone who would have been there that night to try to determine what the cause of the disagreement was.

Been thinking a lot about this case. Wonder if by emotional they could mean he was really pissed off. When some people drink, their temper is accentuated. could his friends have really been "riding" him that nite about something and he had had enuf and went home and threw a glass and cut himself. I find it hard to believe tho that a nurse would call his friends to help him. It would make more sense if they said we felt bad and went home to calm him down.

I'm sure by now they have the home records and proof whether or not a call was made. Of course what was said remains a mystery. We know Paul left on his own accord from the video so the likelihood of the friends being involved is diminished if you ask me. I just don't understand if they were truthful and told everything, why it would appear that they family does not believe their story.

While we know there are creeps around at all times of the day or night, I am still leaning towards an accidental drowning due to alcohol.

I do think possibly there is

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Muffet View Post
    So? I shared I didn't hear about the broken glass when the story broke. He disappeared on the 16th. That's the 19th. I'm not a big television news watcher. When I do, I watch channel 11. I left for Vermont shortly after that and was out of the city for a few weeks.

When I first heard about it, I recall thinking he was a victim of random violence. South Side isn't the safest for walking alone after the bars close. When his body wasn't found, I doubted it was random. Random violence doesn't go through a whole lot of trouble disposing of bodies. If they do, they don't do a good job of it IMO.

Anyway, I decided to look for a thread to see if I could help since I live 10 minutes away from where he disappeared. I'm starting to read the previous thread with a fresh eye since I don't know much about this case except that he disappeared under the circumstances I shared, and his family had repeated searches.

In reading the first thread, it seems people are confused over the sequence of events.

His father said he didn't go out with his friends to get food due to a disagreement earlier.

Look at the sequence according to his friends:

PK left by himself and went home.
    PK cut his hand on "glass or something."
    PK called his friends about cutting himself.
    Friends returned home, helped him clean his wound, etc..
    Friends left to get food. PK stayed home. That's the last they saw him.
    According to his father he stayed home because of a disagreement earlier.

Earlier when? Since he left the bar alone earlier, it seems that's when the disagreement occured

The following is my theory:

PK has disagreement with friends, leaves bar and goes home.
    PK calls friends angry over disagreement.
    Friends return home due to disagreement.
    They get into a fight, PK ends up dead Probably accidently.
    They clean up blood, toss his body into the river.
    Go McDonalds.

I'm wondering if LE checked security cameras for the movements of his friends through South Side that night. I wonder if LE went to the bar and tried to talk to everyone who would have been there that night to try to determine what the cause of the disagreement was.
    Except Paul was seen on video walking alone, much later.
    Just my opinion, of course.

MM- I read on thread 1 about the cut. And they do have surveillance video of PR walking down the street after the friends left to go to McD's. It's all been discussed from the beginning. Go back and read thread 1.

Thank you, Miss Muffet for bringing your fresh eyes on over.
    Be the most brilliant color in the box!

Fresh eyes are always good! When I join a thread already in progress, I go back and read everything, take notes on my thoughts and questions, etc.. then join in when I am all caught up.

I also believe there could have been a fight that caused Paul's cut. I said earlier it potentially sounded like a defensive wound.
    Never assume you know anything... or everything... about a missing person, a POI or the details of a case. (paraphrasing great advice from trackergd Holly Grim thread).

I have learned that people tend to believe, hold onto and investigate off whatever a witness, a suspect, friend or family says...People lie.
    Think outside the box.

Passionflower mentioned the rivers are thawing at the end of the previous thread.

Since the Mon wasn't frozen at the time of his disappearance, his body could be anywhere along the Ohio or Mississippi if he wasn't weighted down. Even if it's not already downstream, it may be soon since the ice thawing causes fast moving flood water with ice moving very fast on top.

We're already getting reports of flooding, and this is just the beginning of the winter thaw and spring rains. The ice jams up river are massive. I saw them last week. The warm weather this week is ideal for causing serious flood conditions.

When those ice jams break, they move through the area at a very high speed. It would be difficult to see a body floating with the ice. But the flooding could ultimately deposit a body on land downstream when flood water retreats leaving broken ice and debris behind.

I don't think a search in the immediate river will be fruitful, but it's still worthwhile since searchers might have missed something onshore.

Quote Originally Posted by Derdew View Post
    While we know there are creeps around at all times of the day or night, I am still leaning towards an accidental drowning due to alcohol.
    If he simply fell into the river or purposely jumped into the river, his body would have been found already, IMO. They float along and are found downstream within days and weeks when these things happen. Not always. Sometimes and old one is found, but that's very rare. The ice could play a part in his not being found, but I'll bet he's significantly downstream already the Ohio River if he his in the water. Southside is at the very end of the Mon right before it dumps into the Ohio.

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast