7 marines, 4 soldiers missing after Florida helicopter crash

I just heard about this and knew there would be a thread here. Thanks, zwiebel.

I hope they are not in the water. Maybe they were okay enough to start walking out of the area. I hope that is the case. I also hope and pray they had time to jump and deploy their parachutes!

There is fog in the area so I hope it clears enough for the rescuers to be able to see.

I wonder why the Marines from Camp Lejeune were doing training missions in Florida with the Army. I do know they do many training missions here with foreign countries.

Camp Lejeune is on vast water in Jacksonville, NC too. At New River Air Station (a part of Camp Lejeune) they do flying training missions there everyday with all of their massive helicopter fleets.

Maybe it was some special training mission with the Army.

I hope and pray the fog is hampering the search and they will find them alive but it doesn't sound good since they went missing at 8:30 last night.

Some people don't realize that training missions can be as risky and dangerous as flying missions overseas...especially after dark. All they have to rely on is their night vision goggles for vision and heavy white fog makes it very hard to see what is around them since the night vision goggles make everything around them appear mostly white.

My prayers are with all the Marines and Army's families. It breaks my heart when I hear of something like this happening. It just shows how much they sacrifice for all of us and it isn't that uncommon for these brave men and women to die in home bound training missions.

Hi, OBE.

I believe it was stated on the news that this was Special Ops training. Also; the 4 soldiers were from a Louisiana National Guard unit.

Not good enough daylight yet for the rescuers to see very well.

Yes, GB all of our military and their families. I have family at Ft. Bliss, Texas.

PLEASE let these guys be okay!

Chances are it was a Force Recon team doing night time insertion training at the base. They probably didn't have parachutes and the helicopter was probably flying tree top high. Hoping for survivors

Just now on the news it was said that some human remains have washed ashore.
No..................!
Must have gone into the water.

I was praying for a rescue, NOT recovery.

GB these brave men and their families. This is so sad.

Navy mom here, and my son was assigned to a Norfolk helicopter squadron until last January (now works on FA-18 jets).....this just breaks my heart...just breaks my heart.
Yes, seeing the news that remains are being found.
God Bless those lost, and their families and loved ones...and their military buddies. My son's squadron lost 2 aircrewmen over when he was deployed, and that was the first time he had to deal with death of squadron members...it is devastating to those who work so closely with crew members.
This hurts.

GB your son, DEPUTYDAWG, and I thank him for his service.

So, I'm just catching up...are first reports thinking it was fog/weather related?

The fog didn't come in until early this am. Local LE and media are posting on FB that the search is focused near the Navarre bridge and a part of Navarre Park which is on the sound has been cordoned off. Sorry, I'm not good at copying from my phone.

My sincere condolences to the families.
So very sad

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...-helicopter-crashes-in-florida-with-11-aboard

The UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter was reported missing at 8:30 p.m. ET, the military says. Search and rescue teams found debris at 2 a.m. and are still working at the site, which is east of the Navarre Bridge.

Eglin spokesman Andy Bourland says "weather issues" are being looked at as a possible cause of the crash. The area was under a fog advisory last night, and that fog is continuing today, hampering recovery efforts.

The helicopter "went down during a routine training mission on a remote swath of beach between Pensacola and Destin," The Associated Press reports. "The beach is owned by the military and is used for test missions."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T-Dog
Back