Bahamas - Cameron Smook, 21, VA man fell off cruise ship, 8 March 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
USCG searching for missing Virginia Tech student who fell off a cruise ship
A Virginia Tech student is missing after he apparently fell off a Carnival Cruise ship. Virginia Tech confirmed Tuesday that the person who fell overboard is a student. His identity has yet to be released.

An official with the cruise line released a statement saying the 21-year-old was reported missing from the Carnival Glory ship Sunday morning.

Review of camera footage confirmed the man fell overboard.

The U.S. Coast Guard is conducting search and rescue operations. Another cruise ship, the Carnival Ecstasy, deviated course at the company's direction to help in the search up until Monday evening in collaboration with USCG, along with other vessels in the area.

Carnival Glory also returned to the location and participated for a period of time in the search.

The search and rescue effort by USCG is continuing Tuesday in the vicinity of Great Abaco Island, Bahamas.
http://www.wvva.com/story/28359413/...ginia-tech-student-who-fell-off-a-cruise-ship

A large-scale maritime search is underway for a 21-year-old Virginia Tech student who went overboard off the Carnival cruise ship 'Glory', near the Bahamas.

Surveillance video captured the student falling on Sunday. His family and college have been informed but the student's identity has not been released yet.

http://m.nbc12.com/nbc12/db_345780/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=EaTuF3iR

ETA: Sorry! Already a thread for this case, here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ginia-Tech-student-who-fell-off-a-cruise-ship

OMGoodness!
This will not end well!

Prayers for family and friends!

I worked on Cruise ships for 9 years.
very difficult to find a person that has gone overboard.

HOW do you fall off a cruise ship?

HOW do you fall off a cruise ship?

Its very easy actually the railings are not high!

It is spring break.
When I was working on the ships we had a horrible time on spring break with intoxicated kids.
They would actually stand on the railings and jump off when we were in port. Its very dangerous
there are huge propellers under there.
these kids were tossing the deck chairs overboard. all the plants vanished!

the Captain put them all in lock down called all their parents and told them their children will be
left in the next port with the authorities till they could find other means to get them home.

End of spring break!

I guess if they have camera footage of him going over it will be fairly obvious whether it was foul play, accident or suicide. :(

Search Ends for Virginia Tech Student Cameron Smook, Who Fell Off Cruise Ship

A 21-year-old Virginia Tech student is presumed dead after falling overboard from a cruise ship near the Bahamas over the weekend. The U.S. Coast Guard called off the search Tuesday for Cameroon Smook, who was on the cruise with several friends, his family said in a statement Wednesday.

Smook — a graduate of Deep Run High School in Glen Allen, Virginia — was poised to graduate from Virginia Tech this spring with a mining engineering degree. A possible cause for his fall wasn't released.

"We thank the Coast Guard for their outstanding service and for keeping us informed throughout this ordeal," his family said in a statement provided to NBC affiliate WSLS...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ng-after-falling-carnival-cruise-ship-n321361

Search Ends for Virginia Tech Student Cameron Smook, Who Fell Off Cruise Ship

A 21-year-old Virginia Tech student is presumed dead after falling overboard from a cruise ship near the Bahamas over the weekend. The U.S. Coast Guard called off the search Tuesday for Cameroon Smook, who was on the cruise with several friends, his family said in a statement Wednesday.

Smook — a graduate of Deep Run High School in Glen Allen, Virginia — was poised to graduate from Virginia Tech this spring with a mining engineering degree. A possible cause for his fall wasn't released.

"We thank the Coast Guard for their outstanding service and for keeping us informed throughout this ordeal," his family said in a statement provided to NBC affiliate WSLS...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ng-after-falling-carnival-cruise-ship-n321361

Ugh. How do you fall off a cruise ship?

My son's class is talking about doing a cruise after graduation and I am very nervous about this. We have been on many cruises before but I won't be there. UUUGH. My sympathies to his family-- worst nightmare

I am active on another board that centers around cruise travel. From what I have read, this did not appear to be an intentional "jump", but again, who knows.

I think he went over around 2AM, and was not reported missing until 8AM. The ship had to circle back to their previous location to begin a search and many hours and miles had elapsed.

So very sad.

Drunk and goofing off like climbing from your balcony to the next door one (there is video of one woman falling off like this), or suicide or criminal behavior.

Not as difficult as you might think. Side-railings around deck perimeters are about 4.5' high, as are stateroom balcony railings. Despite warnings, passengers will lean too far over these railings, or stand/sit on them. Daredevil passengers try to climb poles or access other parts of the vessel that are deemed crew only. Add to the party atmosphere, lots of booze among college crowd, and it's a recipe for disaster. :moo:

And people wonder why I haven't been on a cruise. :scared:

They were on the ship

They were on another CCL ship, the Breeze. Maybe they heard via ship word of mouth or in port. So sad...thought and prayers to Cameron and his family and friends.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back