MI MI - Glenna West, 34, PawPaw, 5 Dec 1977

Needtoid

Reaction score
I didn't see a profile for Glenna Jane West, but if anyone sees one, let me know so I can delete this one.

This case is baffling. Not only are there very little details involved in her case, but there is very little social media attention on her case.

After digging for a while about 7 yrs ago, I realized Glenna was pro-abortion. A week before her death, she talked about her pro-abortion views publicly. Could this have sparked something? Was she on a pro-abortion committee? Are there any family members who may stumble across this post who would like to chime in?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/9621
Status Missing
First name Glenna
Middle name Jane
Last name West
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen December 05, 1977 00:00
Date entered 03/06/2011
Age last seen 34 to years old
Age now 72 years old
Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Female
Height (inches) 66.0
Weight (pounds) 140.0
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available
DNA Status: Sample submitted - Tests complete
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

MI – Glenna Jane Taul West W/F, 34, Paw Paw, Berrien Co, 05 Dec 1977

Glenna Jane Taul West

Capture.JPG

Missing From: Paw Paw, Berrien County, Michigan

Physical/Clothing/Medical
Race:
White
Sex: Female
DOB: 1943
Height: 5’6” (66”)
Weight: 140 lbs.
Hair: Brown, Shoulder Length
Eye Color: Brown
Clothing:
Jewelry:
Characteristics
/Medical/Scars:
Transportation:
Fingerprint Status
: Not Available
Dental Status: Available
DNA Status: Not Available

Circumstances:
Glenna was last seen in Berrien County Michigan on Monday, December 5th, 1977.

At the time Glenna was going through a divorce from her husband it was granted December 29th, 1977 in Berrien County.

Investigating Agencies:
Michigan State Police
9301 Red Arrow Hwy
Bridgman, MI 49106
Tele: 269.465.3111 / 269.657.7571
MP Case # 57-6783-77
Web: MSP - Missing Persons
MSP - District 5 - Southwest

Michigan State Police, Special Investigation
18050 Deering Road
Livonia, MI 48152
Tele: 313.2115.0675
E-Mail: krebss@michigan.gov
Web: MSP - Missing in Michigan

Information Sources:
NAMUS
MP Case # 9621: Missing Person Case
Case Manager: Lori Bruski
Tele: 817.718.7904
E-Mail: Lori.Bruski@unthsc.edu

The Charley Project - Glenna Jane West – The Charley Project

News
08/10/71 – The Escanaba Daily Press
06/10/77 – Herald Palladium
12/29/77 – Herald Palladium
10/14/88 – Herald Palladium

Cold Case Benton Harbor: The Disappearance Of Glenna Jane West

The mysterious disappearance of the strikingly beautiful Glenna Jane West who was reported missing in December of 1977 after not being seen for a month.

Anyone with information on the disappearance of Glenna Jane West is asked to contact D/Sgt. Douglas Kill of the Michigan State Police Niles Post at (269) 683-4411.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenna Jane West
Went Missing In Paw Paw Michigan in December 1977

NAT_9621_1.jpg

Missing
Last seen alive: December 05, 1977

Circumstances: Glenna was last seen in Berrien County which is on Michigan's lower peninsula's west coast.
First Name: Glenna Jane
Middle Name: Jane
Last Name: West

Details
Age When Last Known Alive: 34
Race: White
Height: 66.0
Weight: 140.0
State: Michigan
County: Berrien
Appearance
Hair: Brown
Head Hair: Shoulder length
Eye: Brown

Missing
Last seen alive: December 05, 1977

Circumstances: Glenna was last seen in Berrien County which is on Michigan's lower peninsula's west coast.
First Name: Glenna Jane
Middle Name: Jane
Last Name: West
Details
Age When Last Known Alive: 34
Race: White
Height: 66 inches
Weight: 140 pounds
State: Michigan
County: Berrien
Appearance
Hair: Brown
Head Hair: Shoulder length
Eye: Brown

LINK:
Glenna Jane West - Michigan Missing Person Directory

After digging for a while about 7 yrs ago, I realized Glenna was pro-abortion. A week before her death, she talked about her pro-abortion views publicly. Could this have sparked something? Was she on a pro-abortion committee? Are there any family members who may stumble across this post who would like to chime in?

You realized this how? Is there a MSM or LE source for this info? If true, it could be a substantial lead that should be submitted to LE. If false or rumor, then it can't be a matter of discussion here due to WS rules. It's an interesting tidbit, though.

Just a note; The Charley Project lists her date of disappearance as November 12, 1977. Sounds like the date is uncertain in general though....

There could be any number of reasons for discrepancies in dates. Glenna was REPORTED as missing by her husband on 12 November 1977. He may have stated that the last time he saw her was on 5 November. Or police may have suspected his report and questioned others who had last seen her on 5 November 1977.

Sometimes a website misinterprets a case summary or has a set format to enter data which might inadvertantly change the meaning of information obtained from another source.

So it appears that she was against abortion. I don't find her views on that issue relevant. I suspect her husband.
-
As an aside, I found it interesting the Richard Austin was the Secretary of State in Michigan way back in '77. He was in that position in the late '80s/early '90s when I was old enough to pay attention to that sort of thing, but I hadn't realized that he had been around that long.

So it appears that she was against abortion. I don't find her views on that issue relevant. I suspect her husband.
-
As an aside, I found it interesting the Richard Austin was the Secretary of State in Michigan way back in '77. He was in that position in the late '80s/early '90s when I was old enough to pay attention to that sort of thing, but I hadn't realized that he had been around that long.

I agree the husband behaviour is very suspicious. Her stance on abortion does rule out a “abortion gone wrong” theory though.

Her husband Robert West passed away 2006 aged 70.

Last edited:
@Needtoid Can you post links to the info you read regarding Glenna's potential pro-abortion views or public statements? It appears there's some confusion regarding her stance on the issue. Assuming the article posted by @StarrChance was written by this Glenna West back in June 1977, it reads as though she was against abortion. Either way it could be an interesting avenue for investigators.

So I’ve seen two comments on here stating that you are related to Glenna. I’d love to chat more with anyone who is! My grandma is her cousin, my great grandpa and her father were brothers.

So I’ve seen two comments on here stating that you are related to Glenna. I’d love to chat more with anyone who is! My grandma is her cousin, my great grandpa and her father were brothers.

GLENNA JANE WEST ( Taul) was my husband's aunt. His mom and Glenna (they all called her Janie) were sisters.

<modsnip>
We would love to connect!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kicking this thread back up, as I just moved to the area and find this case intriguing. I do have a few things that confuse me. Paw Paw is not in Berrien County, so was she last seen in Paw Paw, but resided in Berrien County? I'm also curious as to a car description, as there does not seem to be one.

I'll head up to the genealogy department at a few of the local libraries this week and see if I can find any news clippings on the case. I would think that even in 77, reporting someone missing after a month, was a big deal.

As a local, I would ask anyone related to the case shoot me a message, as I'm willing to conduct searches and spend time and resources on this case, so any access to information, without needing to look up every detail, would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
FOIA request has been sent in. Michigan has a mandatory response time of 5 business days, but there's no specific time in which they must fulfill the request. Seeing as the age of this case, I don't expect much push back in regard to the record.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back