1433 users online (327 members and 1106 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

MI - Mom & baby in hiding after child-abuse investigation

This is a really interesting case. In a nutshell, Mom and Dad take baby Naomi to the hospital after she allegedly fell off her father's knee and was injured. Dad is convicted of child abuse, Mom is cleared. Dad will be sentenced on March 19th. In the meantime, Mom moves away with Naomi and refuses to give her current address to CPS because she is afraid CPS may want to remove Naomi again. CPS is afraid that Dad will have access to Naomi and also want to continue with home visits.

The mother at the center of a year-long child abuse case in Michigan is now being petitioned by the court to provide information on her whereabouts, despite charges against her being dropped. “It’s a bogus, coercive petition” that amounts to “social-worker terrorism,” Elizabeth Warner, attorney for mom Brenda Burns, tells Yahoo Parenting. “CPS does this — holds a child hostage — in order to get parents to comply with their wishes.”
    It all began in March 2014, when baby Naomi, then two months old, allegedly fell off her father Josh’s knee, hitting her head on the floor. The fall resulted in a bruised cheek, but when Naomi began projectile vomiting the next day, her parents took her to the emergency room. That began a near two-week stay in the hospital during which time doctors witnessed seizures, retinal hemorrhaging, and ran a battery of tests on Naomi, according to a timeline of events on the Burns’s website, TornFamily.com.
    As a result, Naomi was placed into foster care and there were two trials — a family court trial, which found that Brenda was not responsible for Naomi’s injuries but that Josh was, and a separate criminal trial, in which a jury convicted Josh of abuse. The dad says he’s not seen his daughter for a year and now faces up to 10 years in prison; he will be sentenced on March 19. In the meantime, CPS is demanding that Brenda tell them where she and Naomi are living.

Much more at links:
    https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/mom-...356709152.html

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news/...nd-home-visits
    Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that one animal their world is changed forever! -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Snoods View Post
    This is a really interesting case. In a nutshell, Mom and Dad take baby Naomi to the hospital after she allegedly fell off her father's knee and was injured. Dad is convicted of child abuse, Mom is cleared. Dad will be sentenced on March 19th. In the meantime, Mom moves away with Naomi and refuses to give her current address to CPS because she is afraid CPS may want to remove Naomi again. CPS is afraid that Dad will have access to Naomi and also want to continue with home visits.

Much more at links:

I wonder if the mom's attorney is associated with Liberty U. They have at least one other case in which a child disappeared with a parent that they were defending (and is still out of the country, I do believe). There is some reason to suspect that Liberty is actually training family practice attorneys to help clients evade laws as they believe it is warranted.

That's interesting, Margo. Which case is that, do you remember?
    Last edited by Snoods; 03-12-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that one animal their world is changed forever! -Unknown

That's interesting, Margo. Which case is that, do you remember?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/24/us/24kidnap.html?_r=0

Dad is in jail, correct?
    How would he have access to the baby if he is facing 10 years?
    Is there some other reason they need to know where she is living?

How do they know Dad abused the baby? Could she have just fallen from his lap or was it ongoing?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

It sounds like the injury was a bit too severe for a fall...
    Many babies get dropped or fall off beds without injury.
    Sounds like the story didn't match the evidence.

But all people are created individually. And what may be seen as the "normal" injury for that type of fall, May not be normal for this child. I would have looked for other bone or soft tissue injuries, which I assume the hospital doctors did. Sometimes an accident is an accident. It is odd that they may put a pilot in jail but still need the child from the non-charged, non-accused mother. Government equals power-hungry.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    How do they know Dad abused the baby? Could she have just fallen from his lap or was it ongoing?
    They either don't know or won't share their findings.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

Two different states, so under different laws. Chances are any holding by a federal court in the Tennessee case will be so narrow, it won't apply to other cases.

Much more at links:

I have to wonder why a 2-month old baby was on anybody's knee.

Quote Originally Posted by wendybtn View Post
    Two different states, so under different laws. Chances are any holding by a federal court in the Tennessee case will be so narrow, it won't apply to other cases.
    International parental kidnapping is a federal crime. But within the U.S., a custodial parent should be able to take her child wherever she wants.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    Dad is in jail, correct?
    How would he have access to the baby if he is facing 10 years?
    Is there some other reason they need to know where she is living?
    Dad won't be sentenced until the 19th and because Mom thinks Dad is innocent, CPS is afraid Dad will be around Naomi.

CPS filed a petition with the court demanding Mom provide them with Naomi's new address, but her lawyer says she was cleared of all charges and she should not need to give them her address.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBelle View Post
    I have to wonder why a 2-month old baby was on anybody's knee.
    Yes, I question this as well. A 2-month-old would need full neck and back support to be joggling on someone's knee. It's been a while since I've had a baby, but I believe this would take two hands. It does seem suspect that she slipped out of his grasp that easily, it's not like they're wiggling around that much.

But who knows? Is it possible for a baby to sustain those types of injuries (including retinal hemorrhaging) from a fall off a knee? The parents claim she received that injury from a difficult C-section birth, but the jury apparently didn't believe that.

Dad won't be sentenced until the 19th and because Mom thinks Dad is innocent, CPS is afraid Dad will be around Naomi.

CPS filed a petition with the court demanding Mom provide them with Naomi's new address, but her lawyer says she was cleared of all charges and she should not need to give them her address.

Yes, I question this as well. A 2-month-old would need full neck and back support to be joggling on someone's knee. It's been a while since I've had a baby, but I believe this would take two hands. It does seem suspect that she slipped out of his grasp that easily, it's not like they're wiggling around that much.

But who knows? Is it possible for a baby to sustain those types of injuries (including retinal hemorrhaging) from a fall off a knee? The parents claim she received that injury from a difficult C-section birth, but the jury apparently didn't believe that.
    Link for ^^:
    On the website, it is explained that Naomi was born in January 2014 "through a traumatic birth that started with four hours of pushing, followed by several failed attempts at vacuum extraction" and an emergency cesarean section. The website says that traumatic birth left her with "unforeseen health issues that would later cause serious problems."
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/03/09/father-child-abuse/24635949/

Also: all about DAD: MSM: http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ston/24553953/

Court documents confirm the officers were on scene because they found Joshua Burns has two outstanding warrants from El Paso County in Colorado.
    A clerk at El Paso County court said Friday that records show one warrant for Joshua Burns dating back to February 1998 for failure to appear on a harassment charge.

Mom, Brenda, full supports her husband.

If the mother was cleared of any wrongdoing and was given the baby back, I see no reason for CPS to continue their probe into the mother and child. I tend to agree with the attorney on the way CPS operates and their intrusive approach. Surely there are other family members who are aware of the situation and have access to the child that would call authorities if something seemed out of place or if the father tried to visit. CPS is overstepping their authority, imo.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast