1471 users online (259 members and 1212 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PA - Albany Twp, WhtMale UP5661, 25-35, in cave at The Pinnacle, Jan'77

I've been looking at this guy for a while and I thought he had a thread but I can't find one. Mods - feel free to delete this if I'm wrong.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5661

Estimated age Adult - Pre 30
    Minimum age 25 years
    Maximum age 35 years
    Race White
    Sex Male
    Weight (pounds) 155, Measured
    Height (inches) 70, Measured

Probable year of death 1977 to 1977
    Date found January 17, 1977

Circumstances: Found deceased in a cave near the Pinnacle, a scenic outlook along the Appalachian Trail in Albany Twp Berks County.

Hair color Brown
    Head hair
    long curley brown hair
    Facial hair
    full beard same type of hair
    Left eye color Unknown or Missing
    Right eye color Unknown or Missing

DN also has some info:
    http://doenetwork.org/cases/1299umpa.html

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 25-35 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'10"-5'11; 155 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Reddish brown, long and curly hair; blue eyes. Full beard. T-shaped scar on left side of chin.
    Clothing: Dark brown suede/buckskin jacket with tassels on the sleeves and torso (size 38); faded blue jeans (Wrangler brand, size 30x34); brown leather belt; brown, knit turtleneck sweater (labeled Jules Pilch-Doylestown/Hatboro, size "M"); long winter undershirt and pants (size "S"), military issue with laundry mark B-0654; two pair of socks (one pair black, the other wool); brown leather hiking boots, ankle length with black Vibran soles (size 10-10 1/2); leather gloves; sunglasses.
    Personal Effects: He was wearing a 14K white gold ring with a blue stone; his pockets contained a comb, pen, pencil, matches and $1.78.
    Fingerprints: Not Available
    Dentals: Not Available

BerksCountyJD.jpg

I just submitted Bruce Boughton https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/18530/0/
    as a possible match. The reported heights are off by 4" but everything else lined up nicely including the first letter on the laundry mark. I couldn't find a ss# anywhere for the MP.

His car had PA plates although he's missing from CA

His car had PA plates although he's missing from CA
    In Mr. Boughton's NamUs profile it says he may have family in PA/NY area so perhaps he was from there originally.

Another thing that potentially matches:

"MP was in the Air Force stationed at Travis AFB, Fairfield, Ca." from Namus

"long winter undershirt and pants (size "S"), military issue with laundry mark B-0654" from UID's Doenetwork page
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

I sent it in on both sides and they both said they are looking into it.

There is no DNA for either one and then one has dental info and the other has fingerprints. So there is a bit of a mismatch there. I did mention the laundry mark and the MP's social may be a big key there. The MP went missing in '75, JD was found in '77 and MP was reported missing in '79.

Hair color & texture matched
    Eye color matched (JD info per DoeN)
    Age matched
    Timeline matched
    MP had possible reason to be in PA (family)
    Height off by 4"
    Weight was off by 15 lbs
    Pics are similar
    The ring JD had had a blue stone in it. From what I found Air Force rings tend to have that as well.
    Neither has any reported tattoos or other distinguishing features like large surgery scars, missing limbs, etc.
    JD appears to have a military connection, MP does have one
    Laundry mark begins with B - MP last name begins with B

I wish I could have found the ss# info but that is a minimal opportunity in my toolbox here.

I looked at it up, down and sideways and couldn't find a reason to not like it so I sent it in.

I've been curious about the JD because of the close proximity (time and location) to Beth. Nothing says they are connected. I just find it curious.

Found another Pennsylvania connection: the label on the turtleneck sweater apparently refers to a men's clothing store in Montgomery County, which is near Philadelphia:

Jules Pilch, 69, of Doylestown Township, a community leader and the owner of a Montgomery County men's clothing store, died Sunday at Doylestown Hospital. For the last 45 years, he had operated the store, bearing his name, on Old York Road in Hatboro. http://articles.philly.com/1998-01-2...hospital-owner

The store stayed open after his death, not closing until 2001 when his widow sold it: http://articles.philly.com/2001-05-1...siness-demands

This is roughly where the remains were found: https://goo.gl/maps/o3Z2u

I looked at the historic weather data once a while back and it was pretty darn cold the week or so before he was found. It made me wonder about how he got there. There is a reservoir of water below the trail to the Pinnacle. I always wondered if there was a car in it. I never found any info about one being found there or that it had ever been drained for dam work or anything.

From what I've been reading about the Pinnacle area, it's a popular day hike trail as well as part of the Appalachian through trail. Mr. Carbuff hiked part of the AT near Port Clinton a couple of years ago. He says it's not an easy trail but not particularly difficult either. It's about a ten-mile loop according to this map: https://alltrails.com/trail/us/penns...pinnacle-trail. The parking lot where most people start is only a mile or so off I-78 and when we were there during the hiking season, there were quite a few hikers hitching rides to and from the trailheads, and on trailhead information signs several locals had posted "hiker taxi" services. So it would be possible to get there without a car.

I live very close to the pinnacle and we hike those trails often. I have seen the cave he was found in and I have been keeping my eyes open for any signs of that car. If anyone has any questions about the cave, parking areas, or trails I might be able to help.

Apearn, I sent you a PM with important information I'm not sure is allowed to be posted in the threads.

I hope it's a good lead for you!

I saw this guy today. http://www.nampn.org/cases/niederfringer_warren.html

Warren Joseph Niederfringer

Missing Since: June 1, 1972 from Newington, Hartford County, Connecticut
    Classification: Missing
    Height: 5'9-6'0"
    Weight: 140-150 lbs.
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Blue
    Race: White
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Moustache.

Warren Niederfringer was last seen in Newington, CT on June 1, 1972. He was known to be enroute to Boston or North Carolina. He drove an older yellow Dodge walk-in van, previously owned by CL&P.

Height, weight, age, hair color, eye color (per DN is blue, namus says unknown), and date missing are all OK. He has some ties to PA. He went to a military academy about 1.5 hours from Pinnacle.

http://www.mocavo.com/Carson-Long-In...d-Pa/712007/64

I don't know if they used the trail for training hikes but the academy is about 7 miles from one section of it.

I like the length of his face compared to the sketch. The other pics show, what looks like, a similar hairline BUT if any of his three images on namus are close to the time of his disappearance his hair is neither curly or long. I also don't see the T shaped scar mentioned on DN but not mentioned in namus.

Warren Niederfringer.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by apearn View Post
    I saw this guy today. http://www.nampn.org/cases/niederfringer_warren.html

Warren Joseph Niederfringer

Missing Since: June 1, 1972 from Newington, Hartford County, Connecticut
    Classification: Missing
    Height: 5'9-6'0"
    Weight: 140-150 lbs.
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Blue
    Race: White
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Moustache.

Warren Niederfringer was last seen in Newington, CT on June 1, 1972. He was known to be enroute to Boston or North Carolina. He drove an older yellow Dodge walk-in van, previously owned by CL&P.

Height, weight, age, hair color, eye color (per DN is blue, namus says unknown), and date missing are all OK. He has some ties to PA. He went to a military academy about 1.5 hours from Pinnacle.

http://www.mocavo.com/Carson-Long-In...d-Pa/712007/64

I don't know if they used the trail for training hikes but the academy is about 7 miles from one section of it.

I like the length of his face compared to the sketch. The other pics show, what looks like, a similar hairline BUT if any of his three images on namus are close to the time of his disappearance his hair is neither curly or long. I also don't see the T shaped scar mentioned on DN but not mentioned in namus.

Warren Niederfringer.jpg
    That's very similar, awesome stuff.

This info was taken from ancestry.com. If this is the right Bruce Boughton, the ss# doesn't match the laundry mark.Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 5.17.09 PM.png

Quote Originally Posted by apearn View Post
    I've been looking at this guy for a while and I thought he had a thread but I can't find one. Mods - feel free to delete this if I'm wrong.
    I'm certain there was already a thread for this UID, too. I remember posting on it.

But I can't find it (now) either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast