HI HI - Daylenn Pua, 17, Kaneohe, 27 Feb 2015

Plumeria5

Reaction score
Until today I thought that this 17 year old boy probably fell while attempting to hike up the "Stairway to Heaven" in Kaneohe, HI. But now, today's article in the local paper has put a new spin on his disappearance.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...ing-for-publics-help-to-identify-man-in-photo

Check out the photo of a man apparently one of the last photos Daylenn took and texted to a family member before he disappeared.

I've been following the Facebook posts for this and one of the dedicated searchers recently posted something to the effect that he can't make any more updates about the search because the situation has "become complicated," and "this is not my decision."

That sounds to me like there could be foul play suspected? Maybe? However, they are still heavily searching the same area, and just distributed flyers yesterday asking hikers to keep an eye and an ear out, and stating all information up to this point makes them believe that he is between Moanalua and Manana Trail.

It would be so sad if that were him, although I imagine the family would just be grateful for closure at this point. Strange though - looks like that road the body was found on is on the opposite side of the island from the H3 tunnel area they've been searching. The update says no sign of foul play though... *shrug*

I'm not seeing a person in those photos, but I am seeing a play on shadows.

I definitely see a person there (a man's head in profile), and i can't usually see things like that when others can but this one? clear as day. I see ears, eyes, hairline... weird.

I haven't seen any updates regarding the body they found on the Kuliouou trail. They are still searching for Moke, though. There was just an update to the Facebook group with maps of the area they have covered.

Here's a video tribute to the search, still ongoing. You can see how rugged the terrain is and how thick the jungle canopy.

[video=youtube;J7oeSESoFnc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7oeSESoFnc[/video]

One year later:

http://www.kitv.com/story/31335241/one-year-anniversary-for-missing-big-island-hiker

On Saturday, family, friends and volunteers walked to the Moanalua Valley Trail entrance to place flowers and lei in honor of Pua. It was an emotional ceremony as they held each other in support. It continued in the pavilion of the Moanalua Valley Park as they gathered to pray...

Some of the volunteers involved in the search last year decided to create a group called "Oahu Search and Rescue." They spread awareness about hiking safety... One of the organization's newest members is Pua's brother Donald.

The fact that his last Facebook post he mentions taking the hike up the stairway makes me think that it is very likely someone could have been waiting for him. He made it very obvious where he was and would be that day. While it’s also very possible that it was just a tragic accident.

I have started a youtube channel for Missing Persons, Here is Episode #2. It covers Daylenn Pua's disappearance. Please let me know how I am doing!

Daylenn Pua – The Charley Project

daylenn_pua_1.jpg
pua_daylenn2.jpg
daylenn_pua_5.jpg
daylenn_pua_6.jpg
pua_daylenn7.jpg

Missing Since 02/26/2015
Missing From Oahu, Hawaii
Classification Lost/Injured Missing
Sex Male
Race Pacific Islander
Age 18 years old
Height and Weight 5'7, 150 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics Pacific Islander male. Black hair, brown eyes. Pua's nickname is Moke.

Details of Disappearance
Pua was last seen in Oahu, Hawaii on February 26, 2015. He was a senior at Ke Kula 'O Ehunuikaimalino, a Hawaiian immersion school in Kealakekua, at the time of his disappearance, and was visiting Oahu for a field trip.

He stayed with his grandmother over the weekend and then decided to go for a solo hike at Moanalua Valley Park. Pua took pictures of himself on the Haiku Stairs, also known as the Stairway to Heaven, and sent them to his loved ones at approximately 11:00 a.m. He has never been heard from again.

The Haiku Stairs is a very steep, treacherous hiking trail and it was closed to the public in 1987. Those who ignore the posted signs can be charged with criminal trespass, but in spite of this, people hike on the trail on a near-daily basis.

Pua is presumed to have gotten lost and perished in the area, but his body has never been found.

So maybe I'm seeing things that don't exist but considering I'm only just learning about this missing person from a youtube video and I can't see anyone else mentioning what I think I see. People keep mentioning the picture of the mysterious man but does anyone else see the small blond child crouched in front of that same man?

Attachments

• 7043970_G.jpg
    7043970_G.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 7044435_G.jpg
    7044435_G.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 44
So maybe I'm seeing things that don't exist but considering I'm only just learning about this missing person from a youtube video and I can't see anyone else mentioning what I think I see. People keep mentioning the picture of the mysterious man but does anyone else see the small blond child crouched in front of that same man?
Yes, that is creepy. Almost looks like the child is squatting to pee and the man his holding him up so he doesn’t fall over while squatting.

The disturbing disappearance of Daylenn Pua from Hawaii’s Stairway To Heaven walkway

August 15, 2021

Daylenn+Moke+Pua.png

DAYLENN MOKE PUA DISAPPEARED FEBRUARY 27, 2015, HAIKU STAIRS, WAIANAE, HAWAII

18-year-old, Daylenn “Moke” Pua went missing on February 27, 2015, when he was last seen boarding a bus in Waianae, Oahu in Hawaii. He was visiting Oahu from the Big Island and he told his grandmother that he planned to hike the banned area called the Haiku Stairs, also known as the “Stairway to Heaven”, against her advice.

Moke posted a series of pictures on social media from his phone during his hike and one picture showing a mysterious man stood out. He never returned from the Stairs. Was the mystery man responsible, did he fall to his death on the dangerous steps or did something else happen that day?

No sign of Daylenn “Moke” Pua has been found in the six years since his disappearance.

What are the Haiku Stairs?
The Haʻikū Stairs, also known as the “Stairway to Heaven”, is a steep, 3,922 step steel structure that provided access on foot to former U.S. Navy communication facilities on the island of Oʻahu in Hawaii. The pathway spans the Oahu's Ko'olau mountain range and there are views from the top to Kaneohe as well as Kaneohe Bay.

In 1942, contractors for the U.S. Navy began construction of the Haʻikū Radio Station, a top-secret facility that was to be used to transmit radio signals to Navy ships that were then operating throughout the Pacific. In order to obtain the necessary height for the antennae, the Navy stretched them across the valley. Some remnant parts of the wooden ladder may still be seen beside the metal steps. The radio station was commissioned in 1943.

The Naval base was decommissioned in the 1950s and the U.S. Coast Guard used the site for an Omega Navigation System station. In the mid-1950s, the wooden stairs were replaced by sections of metal steps and ramps and the station and trail were officially closed to the public in 1987.

The disappearance of Daylenn Pua
Moke was visiting his grandmother, Martha Bear, in Waianae from the Big Island. He was a senior at Ke Kula ‘O Ehunuikaimalino, a Hawaiian immersion school in Kealakekua.

He was interested in hiking up the Stairway to Heaven, and Martha told her grandson that it was closed down, and authorities were not letting anybody climb that mountain.

On Friday morning, February 27, 2015, Pua left his grandmother’s home and boarded a bus from Waianae, Oahu never to return. He was wearing a white long-sleeved t-shirt, black surf shorts, slippers, and carrying a red backpack.

Late that day, he was reported missing by his grandmother when he failed to come home.

The mystery man
Honolulu police said Pua texted pictures of himself indicating he was on the trail of the Haiku Stairs at around 11.00 am despite what he’d told his grandmother. He hasn’t been seen or heard from since.

The family extensively studied these pictures looking for clues and they found a man, barely visible in the background, lurking in the bushes in one of Pua’s pictures. They believed perhaps the mysterious man was following Pua.

Who was this man? Was he just relieving himself in the bushes? Did he ever realize he was not alone on the mountain? Why hasn't he come forward (some accounts say yes, but this is unconfirmed by the authorities)? Did he not want to admit to climbing what is technically an illegal trail?

The search for Daylenn Pua

The search effort involved the fire department, local volunteers, drone operators, and even the U.S. Navy.

On the Monday following the disappearance, two hikers reported hearing cries for help, extending the fire department’s search into Tuesday, March 3, 2015, when the official search was suspended at 4.44 pm. Relatives and local volunteers continued to comb the area for any signs. But nothing was found.

Moke Pua remains missing.

The disturbing disappearance of Daylenn Pua from Hawaii’s Stairway To Heaven walkway — StrangeOutdoors.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back