'Ugliest woman in the world' shows the world a kinder way

zwiebel

Reaction score
A woman who was bullied for the way she looks is the focus of a new film that premieres at the South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas on Saturday.

What started as a search for music online - purely homework procrastination - would change Lizzie Velasquez's life.

She was 17 when she stumbled across a YouTube video entitled "The World's Ugliest Woman". What she didn't expect was that the woman featured in the video would be her. It was an eight-second clip and had been watched over four million times.

Lizzy was born with Marfan and lipodystrophy which means she is unable to gain weight and has severe and persistent medical issues and a distinctive appearance. Although she found the cruel comments left under the video traumatic, she fought back and has become an activist helping others be 'confident in their own skin'. She has her own YouTube channel now with hundreds of thousands of views, and has spoken at the Prestigious Ted Talks.

And now she's in the movies. What a beautiful person.

Attachments

• CAC_Hu1WcAATxTQ.jpg
    CAC_Hu1WcAATxTQ.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 162
I want to see her film. Was so glad she introduced it here at SBSW! She is no where near "the ugliest woman" - she's so endearing looking. I tell you, I've seen some UGLY women in mugshots. Hateful, angry, evil bulldog like women with bizarre eyebrows and make up and fearsome expressions.

How blind, that anyone ever called this beautiful soul the ugliest woman.

So, so sorry folks! I didn't put the link in that story, or even Lizzy's full name! what was I thinking? I'm so embarrassed. Here is one. And will try to find Lizzie Velasquez's Ted Talk.

Many apologies once again.
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-ouch-30948179

Aagh!

Trailer of the film here but could not even finish watching that. Shows some comments from the 'ugliest woman' YouTube including; "Kill it with fire". :(

I'd love to meet Lizzy anytime, but never want to meet that commentator....

http://filmschoolrejects.com/news/a...-velasquez-is-the-hero-the-internet-needs.php

People can really be despicable. :(

Christopher Reeve was also told to 'kill himself' and he's 'better off dead' by cruel strangers who had lost all their humanity.

Lizzy is a fine example of a bright, young woman ready to take on the world and show them what she's made of, damn the critics. :aktion:

Oh my gosh, I'm crying! People can be real asshats, but what an amazing person, just her outlook on life will see her to have much more success in life that the haters on the Internet. Tony Robbins should have her at his conventions!!

So, so sorry folks! I didn't put the link in that story, or even Lizzy's full name! what was I thinking? I'm so embarrassed. Here is one. And will try to find Lizzie Velasquez's Ted Talk.

Many apologies once again.
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-ouch-30948179

Your reaction here was so cute it made me lol! Nothing to be embarrassed over :) you post many fine threads all the time and they are appreciated!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back