OK OK - Clinton, WhtMale 16-20, UP2991, poss from St Louis, promise ring, paper w/writing, Jun'72

If you are going to start a thread, please provide something more than just a Porchlight link.

Here is the DoeNetwork page for this John Doe:

The Doe Network
Case File: 1803UMOK
http://doenetwork.org/cases/1803umok.html

1803umok.jpg
1803umok_2.jpg
1803umok_3.jpg

Left: Facial touch up based on original autopsy photo by T. Schinnerer; center and right: Facial reconstruction based on morgue photo by H. Pratt, OSBI forensic artist

Unidentified Male
Date of Discovery: June 26, 1972
Location of Discovery: Clinton, Custer County, Oklahoma
Estimated Date of Death: Same day
State of Remains: Recognizable
Cause of Death: Pedestrian/Auto accident​

Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 16-20 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'8" to 5'9"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Hair Color: Dark brown, long but less than shoulder length. Unshaven.
Eye Color: Hazel

Distinguishing Marks/Features: Circumcised.

Dentals: Not available.
Fingerprints: Available. Fingerprints taken by Clinton Police Department or Oklahoma Highway Patrol and sent to FBI. Current location unknown.
DNA: Not avaiable.​
Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Never Iron Campus blue double knit shirt, blue jeans, brown 30" belt with Captain's buckle, brown leather boots with 16" top and 1" strap with brass rings on each side (size 9 to 9 1/2).

Jewelry: White gold promise ring with "TC968" engraved inside the band.

Additional Personal Items: One pack of Marlboro cigarettes. A "St.Louis County, Missouri stamp #42289" found in a pocket. Armband on the left arm which appears to have been made of denim. Blue mimeo bond sheet with hand-ruled lines listing dates 06/16-06/30 (possible work schedule or record of employment?) Written on sheet - Mollincrodt or Mellincrodt. (possibly Mallinckrodt from Saint Louis?)​

Case History

The decedent was a hitchhiker or pedestrian hit by a car near the overpass on U.S. Highway 183 to I-40. He was found lying some 6 feet off the shoulder of I-40 going West at approximately 375 yards east of the overpass of U.S. Highway 183. He was released from St. Louis jail, one day prior.​

I've looked the cases of missing males from 1968-1972 and none of them fit the description of this person. The closest one I found is someone who went missing in 1969 at the age of 23, which would make him 28 when this person was found and I'm pretty sure this isn't him:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/heflin_john.html

I'm thinking that this unidentified person was very estranged from his family and was a drifter, so he never was reported missing.

Here's his NamUs: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2991

Ruleouts:

Peter J Bonick 1953 California
Harold Dewayne Costello Unknown Oklahoma
Warren Niederfringer 1948 Connecticut
Charles Edward Propst 1953 Missouri

Wait.. He was released from jail one day prior to being hit by a car? They didn't have his name when he was jailed?

That was my first thought as well. He was in jail and they don't have his name? Not even a false name?:thinking:

It could be that he was in the jail for a night for being drunk or something and maybe he refused to give a name and was still released or gave an obvious fake one. But still even a false name could be useful information it could be an Alias of his.

Yes everything here is so Vague.. I totally agree if he was arrested.. he had to give some name? anything would help.. and also it would be interesting to know why he was arrested. that also could help.. and yes EmiLove832 I totally agree.. how do they know this was a promise ring, what did it look like?? other that having engraved TC968
Which maybe could be his first initial (T) and the other persons first initial (C) and the month (9) and year(68)

Wait.. He was released from jail one day prior to being hit by a car? They didn't have his name when he was jailed?

Strange. I'm also curious about the promise ring. Why do they think it was a promise ring?

I found this guy

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4724dmms.html
4724DMMS3[1].jpg

John Lloyd Heflin
Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: November 21, 1968
Location Last Seen: Starkville, Oktibbeha Co. Mississippi

Date of Birth: January 31, 1944
Age at Time of Disappearance: 24
Race: White
Height at Time of Disappearance: 5'5 to 6ft
Weight at Time of Disappearance: 160-185 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel
Alias(s) / Nickname(s): Buddy

I like John Heflin for this one, although his age would have been a little bit too high. Also, NamUs says he had a scar on his lower abdomen which is not reported for the UID. But other than that I did consider him a possibility.

This boy looks similar too if you imagine him a few years older.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4637/405/
The circumstances here seem unlikely because most kids that disappear don't turn up years later on the other side of the country, but there are also very few circumstances detailed for both the UID and the MP so I wouldn't count it out just because of that.

The engraving in the rings is interesting. 'TC968'.

What I get out of it is:

'Name that starts with a T, name that starts with a C, September 1968'.

Example Tom and Clara and they started dating in Sept 1968. If he is 16-20 years old in 1972 that makes him 12-16 in 1968.

Could it also be a child's birth? TC (initials) born in Sept 1968. My uncle had his first child at 16 years old in the 70's.

MOO, but I think the "engraving " is actually a stamp code. I did a little research, not in depth though, and found similar stamp codes but nothing exact.
Agree the text is likely an assay from the manufacturer. Was there a photo of the ring markings? If it was JTC 968 (rather than TC968) then it seems to be a ring made by Zales - sold widely so unlikely to give any leads. Alternatively an assay “T&C” would be the Mass. brand Town and Country.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back